Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freestyle Fridays at Ski Club of Ireland

Options
  • 16-09-2010 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know if this is starting up again this year?

It would be great to get some practice on even basic boxes before the season starts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Static M.e.

NEXT FRIDAY hopefully. Just waiting on the all clear from the powers that be in the Club.

It will be every Friday going forward than for the year. Also some work going on in relation to new features.

Apologies for the lack of news and communication, have been laid low ill for the past few months.

Will update both here and the FB page this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

No worries, hope you feel better soon.

Feel free to post any details you can think of, we can always create a nice sticky if needed.

Thanks so much appreciate it. We are working hard on really pushing the night this year.

We have some great ideas and we are really going to push them to try and encourage a banging feestyle scene in Ireland.

Oh and lots and lots of prizes:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Great to hear, I've no school on Fridays this year so I when I'm not abroad I'll definitely be popping up

FRIDAY THE 24TH SEPTEMBER

Its confirmed we will kick of this season's Freestyel Fridays on Sep 24th thats next Friday boys and Girls.

Rails, Jumps and maybe a few sweeties if you are all good :)

Hope to see you all there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Timmy_shreds

All the best on the first freestyle night of the season.

Awesome scene at KT with really nice, welcoming people. Great place to nurture new talent.

What are the features you have this year?
    That up flat gas pipe at the bottom was great when I was there years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Hi Guys, Just wondering about these freestyle fridays what there all about? Would they be suitable for beginners. As in beginners I mean I can ski quite well but have no experience on kickers rails jumps etc. but really wanna get going in the park this year.

derra_121; Welcome to the dark side :D

Basically the Friday nights are a mix of everything we have some fairly handy racers and skiers who cant do freestyle for nuts and one or two fairly handy freestylers who's regular ski technique leaves allot to be desired :D:D:D

All you need is a helmet and you are more than welcome. Most of our features are designed with newbies in mind and even if it goes wrong it is easy enough to ski off them. We have plenty of people on hand to dish out advice and Hopefully Dion (World Freestyle tour judge) Will be back to give lessons in Oct/November when he is done heli skiing in his native NZ

Also we have Salomon Grom Camps running in October and November if you want to learn from some of the top freestyle coaches and riders in Europe its €50 for a session from 12-5, you can book here - http://salomongromcamps.co.uk/bookings.php

Timmy_shreds We will be starting the year with most of the same features as last year but I have put the magic Elves to work with new Jumps top of the list bet we will have two new features that can be split into 6 if needs be on the way. Once the club gives us somewhere to store them they should make an apperance.

Cool Ill defo try to make it.. Iv been dying to try out my new skis and dont think I can wait till the winter

So its every friday night yea? any particular time? also how much is it?

Pretty much every Friday with a few exceptions due to other events.
    There will be none on the 1st of October due to the European and Irish open races being held on the slope.

Be warned about using your skis, Plastic is unkind to skis. If you have twin tips they will be a little more resiliant but they will be scratched from the plastic. But there are plenty of nice people like me who will give you a hand servicing your skis if you ask nicley:)

I would use the club kit! Its fine for most things freestyle related;)

I have a Kilternan skis and then snow skis :rolleyes:

Cost is whatever a pracitice session is at the club Think it is about €20 but will double check and let you know. That covers your time on the slope and use of club skis if you want them

• Advertisement

Cheers for that info I might just go with the club skis so dont wanna wreck my skis before I get to use them in the snow thanks alot. Im away for the next 4 weeks but should defo be there when I get home.. Have fun the next few weeks :):):):cool::cool::cool:

Guys we will be kicking off at 8 o Clock on Firday nightIf you feel the need to be there earlier and give a dig out setting up you are welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭JoeSexton

Looking forward to this over the winter, not sure if I can make it this Friday though. A couple of questions:

How much does the session cost?
    Can I rent a board/bindings out there? How much does this cost?
    Is there some place up there to get changed/leave a bag?

JoeSexton; prices are €25 for an adult and €18 for those under age 18, prices include the use of club Boards/boots or skis/boots and poles.

All you need to bring is a Helmet, yourself and Gloves.

There is an area to get changed and leave your bag also there is a small Kitchen to get a cuppa and a vending machine with Pepsi etc.

Cracking first night back tonight with some of our regulars and some new faces.

Standard has jumped over the summer especially Lee and Cillian thanks to Bradley and CKK for all your help tonight

Does anything ever happen during the week, on a Wed/Thurs for instance?

My fridays just got booked up for the next three weeks

Glad it went well on Friday

BIG NEW WE HAVE A SPONSOR;

Firday nights are now sponsored by Snow and Rock Dundrum. We will have Prizes to give away every month and some other stuff to announce over the season.

Static M.e; The only organised night is the Friday but as it stands now the features are always out and if you can get permission from the team leader they are there to use.

The Boarders take them out the odd Tue or Thur night form what I know and the lads form UCD throw them out on a Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭JoeSexton

There is no session this Friday (1st October) is that right?
    Are there any snowboarders up there?
    I don't want to be the only one!

JoeSextonThats correct no session this friday due to the Irish and European races.

We get the odd spattering of boarders but we are nice and gentle and you are more than welcome, I know the boarders pull some stuff out on a Sunday night aswell

Can we just rock up on a Sunday and join in or do we need to know the secret handshake?

• Advertisement

Static M.e.; Not to sure but to be on the safe side I would learn the secret Stone Cutters hand shake from the simpsons. Give Sue in the club a shout on 01 295 5658 and she will let you know how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭paulharte

Lowdown on freestyle sundays:

Start?: 6pm

End?: 8.30pm

Features on slope?: its up to the riders to bring stuff out (and put it back), generally there is enough of a posse there to make it happen.

Helmets?: essential if you want to hit the features.

Secret handshake?: the one from the fresh prince of bel air

Drop me a Pm if you are thinking of headin up and I'll let you know if there is a crowd goin

Guys there is a selection of videos up here of what has been going on over the past week with the Snow etc Enjoy

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1727374148702&oid=155774648508#!/group.php?gid=155774648508

Remember we are there every Friday all Welcome Boarders, Skiers there is no discrimination :D

Advertisement