In over my head!!! - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-09-2010, 12:10   #1
Ruosullivan

In over my head!!!

I've been "recruited" to help solve this issue for a friend with a small business.

Long story short, SBS2003 running exchange. Everything works pretty well (except certificate issues!) but their broadband is 1mb. After weeks of nagging ISP to upgrade the line to 24mb, they have finally done so on another line.

Every attempt to change over to the new modem/line has failed. Internet access is fine but all incoming mails are blocked and outgoing mails are very slow (1 - 2 hours).

I've opened all of the ports nessesary and even tried 3 differnent modems. (2x BT voyager 2110 & 1 linksys).

The original line is fixed IP setup with an old ericsson modem but it's only ADSL. NAT is disabled on it and it's plugged directly into a wireless router which is configured with the port forwarding.

The new line is PPoE with fixed IP and of course a different DNS. I've tried it with to correct port forwarding but no joy.

I've tried it with NAT disabled........and no joy

I've tried it with NAT disabled and plugged into the pre-configured wireless router (after changing the WAN settings to match)...... and no joy

Am i missing something or should i retire, crawl under a rock and never touch a computer again!!!!!
Advertisement
16-09-2010, 12:26   #2
bhickey

Send a message via MSN to bhickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruosullivan View Post
e new modem/line has failed. Internet access is fine but all incoming mails are blocked and outgoing mails are very slow (1 - 2 hours).
Well the fact that you have Internet access is a start and as long as the new Internet IP is static then you've just got the firewall stuff to figure out.

How do mean that inbound e-mails are blocked? I'd think that you're on a different Internet IP now so external e-mail servers will have to deliver to this new IP. You'd need to change the domain MX records for that.
16-09-2010, 12:33   #3
Jaden

Find out who hosts your DNS records, have them modify the DNS MX record to be your new external IP. Open ports 25,110,143 and any others you need.
16-09-2010, 12:36   #4
Ruosullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhickey View Post
Well the fact that you have Internet access is a start and as long as the new Internet IP is static then you've just got the firewall stuff to figure out.

How do mean that inbound e-mails are blocked? I'd think that you're on a different Internet IP now so external e-mail servers will have to deliver to this new IP. You'd need to change the domain MX records for that.
MX record..............sweet jesus....how did i not think of farggle rockin mx record!!! I'll contact the hoster...........test it and post my reply from under my rock
16-09-2010, 12:38   #5
Mena

It could also take a while for the MX to propogate so give it a few hours (day).
Advertisement
16-09-2010, 15:59   #6
Ruosullivan

THANKS Mena & Jaden.

I won;t get a chance until next week to do this, but i'll let you know how it goes................from under my rock
16-09-2010, 16:12   #7
Static M.e.

Also make sure you have a Static IP on the new line. Saves everyone a lot of trouble
16-09-2010, 16:22   #8
Ruosullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static M.e. View Post
Also make sure you have a Static IP on the new line. Saves everyone a lot of trouble

That's what makes this such an appalling mistake.....i remembered to get the fixed IP when i ordered the new line….. Knowing it’s needed….. but I was told that the BT Voyager 2110 won’t work with SBS2003, so concentrated on that, ordered a new modem from BT……….and waited 2 weeks for that……….and it was another voyager 2110 so when it didn’t work i bought a nice simple Netgear DM111p………but you can’t disable dhcp on a PPoE line with this model……………ordered a nice fancy Linksys………and it still didn’t work! I spend so much time looking for a complicated problem I had completely forgotten about the hoster pointing to the other IP……
17-09-2010, 15:07   #9
ressem

You've checked that the existing MX entry points directly at the existing server/router, and not at an external spam filter?
If it points at an external filter, then you'll have to change the address using the spam filter's interface, rather than the MX.

You might also want to check whether the initial installer has set an SPF text record in the domain's DNS entry.
If so it'll need to be updated with the new IP address, otherwise some outgoing mail might be prone to being treated as spam.
Advertisement
21-09-2010, 20:25   #10
corkcomp

Send a message via MSN to corkcomp
start by re-running the icw and updating with new info such as public IP (if different) dns and router ip .. that way ISA will also be updated for you via the wizard
28-09-2010, 10:35   #11
Ruosullivan

Thanks everyone, it went pretty smoothly; however there is ONE BIG problem!!

Neither IMAP or POP3 work from within the building! Bring your laptop home, everything works great. Bring it into work and error connecting

Ports are open
28-09-2010, 10:48   #12
corkcomp

Send a message via MSN to corkcomp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruosullivan View Post
Thanks everyone, it went pretty smoothly; however there is ONE BIG problem!!

Neither IMAP or POP3 work from within the building! Bring your laptop home, everything works great. Bring it into work and error connecting

Ports are open
you need to enable pop and imap as exceptions on the ISA firewall client
28-09-2010, 11:04   #13
Ruosullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkcomp View Post
you need to enable pop and imap as exceptions on the ISA firewall client
Started "Repair Internet & Email Settings"
Ran through ICW
Added acceptions for pop3 (110) & IMAP (143)

still no joy
28-09-2010, 11:10   #14
Jumpy

ISA has a monitoring option. Monitor the traffic while trying to connect to POP3 and identify the blocking rule. Then add an allow rule for that traffic.

I havent used SBS so not sure if its the same.
28-09-2010, 11:11   #15
Jumpy

Also what IP are you using to connect to POP3 when inside the building? The internal address of the server or the external?

Remember ISA has three default Networks. Internal, External and Local Host. The rules must specify which direction the traffic is coming from.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion