Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fixed term contract-what does it mean?

Options
  • 13-09-2010 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

hey all
    Im a secondary school teacher who has been getting very very regular subbin in the same school for the last 4yrs. Just saw a job advertised in another school for my subjects. the job says 'fixed term contract'. what does this actually mean? i dont want to leave the school im in if its only going to be for a potential job that lasts a yr in another school because if i do this i ll be screwed when it ends and i ve to crawl bk to the school im in now looking for work! dilemma!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It's exactly what it says on the tin - a contract for a fixed term e.g. maternity leave or covering a career break. It's also referred to as non-casual hours. You would be paid a rate inclusive of holiday pay and the time would not count when adding up years for a CID as you probably wouldn't have your own hours.

Whether you go for it depends. Have you been getting your own hours in this school for the last fours i.e. have you a timetable? If so, stay where you are, as you would be entitled to a CID next September.

Can you find out more about the advertised position? Sometimes career-breakers don't come back....

Advertisement