Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just started running-Can I run the Dublin Marathon in October?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

I really cannot understand why anyone would want to be out there for 7 hours, walking a marathon. It would be so much better to wait for next year, start training several months in advance and do it properly.

What's the point of walking, or mostly walking, a marathon on little or no training? We already know that it's possible, and that it is no athletic achievement whatsoever. So again, why would you want to do it that way?

+1
    Hear hear - good advice for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Maybe wrong thread but...ran my 15miles today in prep for first DCM. Started early and never eat up to 1hr before a run so had no brekie...final 5 were up and down energy wise..any recommendations for energy supplements. Lucozade tablets are popular with a few running buddies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The tablets are tough to digest when running so try some energy gels or isotonic drink to get the energy back into you. I currently use the regular High5 gels, which are the type they have handed out at a couple of points along the DCM previously, but there are plenty of others to choose from and see which work for you.

robinph wrote: »
    The tablets are tough to digest when running so try some energy gels or isotonic drink to get the energy back into you. I currently use the regular High5 gels, which are the type they have handed out at a couple of points along the DCM previously, but there are plenty of others to choose from and see which work for you.
    Thx Robinph...I used a hand out gel in a tri a few years ago and couldn't digest either....is it silly to run on completly empty stomach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If it were me I'd be getting up earlier, having breakfast, and then doing the run. 15 miles is a long way to go on an empty stomach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

jaytobe wrote: »
    is it silly to run on completely empty stomach?

I do virtually all my runs in the morning on an empty stomach, including runs of 20 miles or more. It's no problem whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I do virtually all my runs in the morning on an empty stomach, including runs of 20 miles or more. It's no problem whatsoever.
    We're not all mile-munching ultra-legends!

I would usually get up an hour or two early and have a big bowl of porridge and a steaming cup of joe before a run. I could probably manage a 6 mile recovery run with no food but I wouldn't even think of attempting 15+ miles. That's probably why all my runs take place either in the evening or early afternoon on weekends. It does make sense to do some of your LSRs starting at the same time as your goal race, so you can get your brekkie strategy right.

I once tried to take a gel on an empty stomach instead of waiting for breakfast. It was a disastrous experiment that resulted in a dash for nearby bushes. Not pretty. Not pretty at all.

We're not all mile-munching ultra-legends!

Neither am I :p

I tried eating breakfast before running. If I don't wait for an hour before going out, I am in very real danger of getting re-acquainted with the contents of my stomach.

On the other hand, I have never, ever run out of energy while running on an empty stomach. To say that you need to eat before running to provide energy for that run is just bull.

On the other hand, I have never, ever run out of energy while running on an empty stomach. To say that you need to eat before running to provide energy for that run is just bull.
    Perhaps you could elaborate. If a gel takes 15-20 minutes to hit the stomach, surely a breakfast (including liquids) eaten two hours before a run is going to provide some level of energy and hydration for a two+ hour run (potentially some 3-4 hours later), or are you saying that the energy used during a run will come from energy reserves consumed the day(s) before a run? Probably deserves a separate topic. I think you're in danger of tar'ing us with your brush TFB. I may be wrong but I don't believe that I could achieve the same early morning distance runs that you can carry off, without taking on some fuel beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

To say that you need to eat before running to provide energy for that run is just bull.

However, to say that you don't need to eat before running to provide energy for that run is just bull also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I'm on the same side as TFB, I generally don't eat before a morning run as it makes me sluggish and there's always the fear that something will reappear. For example, for last Saturday's 19 miles, I had one gel just before I left the house (more as a just in case than feeling I needed it) and two isotonic gels during the run, didn't feel lacking in energy or particularly hungry during the ~3 hours of running that followed.

On the other hand, before a race I'll always get up early and have something light just to see me through. But then the most it will be is a bagel and some juice or something similar - never got the taste for porridge.

As usual it's a case of finding out what works best for you. Is eating before a long run necessary for everyone? No. Do some find that it hard going if they don't? Yes, definitely.

Perhaps you could elaborate. If a gel takes 15-20 minutes to hit the stomach, surely a breakfast (including liquids) eaten two hours before a run is going to provide some level of energy and hydration for a two+ hour run (potentially some 3-4 hours later), or are you saying that the energy used during a run will come from energy reserves consumed the day(s) before a run? Probably deserves a separate topic. I think you're in danger of tar'ing us with your brush TFB. I may be wrong but I don't believe that I could achieve the same early morning distance runs that you can carry off, without taking on some fuel beforehand.

I mean it just as I said it - you do not need to eat straight before your run to provide the energy for that run. If you eat 2 hours before a run, this is going to provide some energy - my point is, it's not required to get you through it. In my case, it's obviously last night's dinner that sustains me, and in 100% of all cases so far, this was entirely sufficient to get me through a training run. I tried gels on a couple of occasions, but they never seem to make a difference. Suits me fine, no need to waste money on those things.

Before a big race, I still eat a few hours before the start, and I do take gels as well. I can't tell you if it makes a difference in those circumstances because I have never been brave enough to run a marathon (or longer :p) without food, and I have no plans on changing that. But before a training run, even very long ones, I have never required breakfast and I never felt that the run would have gone better had I eaten beforehand.

Btw, robinph, your situation is different.

Btw, robinph, your situation is different.
    Which is why I didn't mention myself. :D

This is a thread for people heading into their first marathon. I'd be wary of recommending that anyone use gels in their marathon and not use them in training. While I try to get by without any gels in training (and sometimes without water) I'm heading for marathon number nine or ten in a few weeks time. I know what works for me.

For those of you heading for your first marathon, the generally accepted advice is that you should plan to do in training what you will do on the day of the race. So if the race starts at 9am, then start some of your long training runs at 9am. If you plan on having breakfast beforehand, then do so before your training runs also. If you plan on dressing up as the tail end of a donkey..... then go join a circus. :) Found out what works for you and keep doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Maybe it's horses for courses, if I went to work without a reasonable breakfast a headache by ~1130am is guaranteed! Going for a run without eating just doesn't even bear thinking about for me anyway, for my one & only marathon in Cork I finished eating around 6.30ish that morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

opus wrote: »
    Maybe it's horses for courses, if I went to work without a reasonable breakfast a headache by ~1130am is guaranteed! Going for a run without eating just doesn't even bear thinking about for me anyway, for my one & only marathon in Cork I finished eating around 6.30ish that morning.

I'd be the same - different things work for different people. I couldn't imagine doing a long run without having a decent breakfast a couple of hours beforehand.

[QUOTE=xebec;67762516 I had one gel just before I left the house (more as a just in case than feeling I needed it) and two isotonic gels during the run, didn't feel lacking in energy or particularly hungry during the ~3 hours of running that followed.

Think I need to bring a gel for 16 mile this w/e. There was a mention of High5 gel, is there one generally recognised as easier to take.

Another question: should/can the short mid weeks be at faster pace than the longer w/e runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Think I need to bring a gel for 16 mile this w/e. There was a mention of High5 gel, is there one generally recognised as easier to take.

I use High5 gels and find they work for me. It's worth trying a few different ones to see what works best for you. I'm currently experimenting with High5 isotonics, didn't particularly like them at first but getting used to them now and handy that they don't require water... Good idea to try one on your long run, but leave it till at least 12 miles where you can still complete the run even if it causes any *cough* issues.
    Another question: should/can the short mid weeks be at faster pace than the longer w/e runs.

In general, yes the can/should be faster than the long runs at the weekend. What plan are you following? The author should have given some guidance on what pace to do the runs at. Good rule of thumb is LSRs at 45-90 seconds a mile slower than planned marathon pace. Recovery runs (first short run after long run) should be a little fast than this. Other runs, depending on distance should be much closer to PMP or even a little faster if they're short...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭grifter09

sos to ressurect an old thread. wasnt sure to write a new thread or not but anyway,
    Why should one not let their first race be the marathon?
    I signed up for it yesterday by the way. training going well.

<mod- moved to the relevant "first Dublin Marathon" thread>

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

That tiredness in your legs is caused by muscle glycogen depletion and a short easy run the day after your long run followed by a high carbohydrate meal will help replenish carb (glycogen) stores. Muscle glycogen storage is a training response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

I was posting the above reply in another thread which was then moved to here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fauna

hey folks.. i'm new to this board, been running steadily for about two years now.. for about a year and a half i was just running 2/3 miles every couple of days - sometimes pushing up distance - sometimes slacking off :) but really enjoying it, made me feel fit for first time in my life at age 32

this year i decided to do dublin marathon and have been using the hal higdon novice training program and entered the race series. it was all going swimmingly until my first 15miler last weekend.. it knocked the living **** out of me.. :o i had to give up after 14.25 miles and felt so down.. this week now training feels different, much harder and my legs are very tired all the time.. and i'm really starting to doubt myself.. i was going sooo slow at end of run that old grannies where passing me by

so i what i'm wondering is - is this normal when training for marathon? and is it just a case that you've got to go through this to get to the 26 miles? or have i bitten off more than i can chew?

advice/encouragement would be most welcome..

cheers

How fast were you going? Those long runs should be run slower than normal.
    And did you take any gels/water/sports drinks as you ran?

RayCun wrote: »
    How fast were you going? Those long runs should be run slower than normal.
    And did you take any gels/water/sports drinks as you ran?

cheers for reply

that was the thing i actually started out pretty slowly, there was a big hill in chapelizod around the 8mile mark that was the beginning of my problems.

i didnt have any gels but i did take a powerade beforehand and some water around mile 11..

i actually think i will be fine tbh, i'm glad it happened on a 15miler instead of marathon day..

but it was so horrible, i felt like my whole body was empty if you know what i mean..

does this happen to everybody at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

fauna wrote: »
    cheers for reply

that was the thing i actually started out pretty slowly, there was a big hill in chapelizod around the 8mile mark that was the beginning of my problems.

i didnt have any gels but i did take a powerade beforehand and some water around mile 11..

i actually think i will be fine tbh, i'm glad it happened on a 15miler instead of marathon day..

but it was so horrible, i felt like my whole body was empty if you know what i mean..

Fauna - that also happened me on my 13 miler two weeks ago. It's important to get your nutrition right and you might want to start looking at consuming gels on your runs from now on.

I've just started out my LSRs much slower now and I completed 15 miles on sat just gone taking a gel after 9 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

cheers for reply

I would agree with what has already been posted in that you need to sort out your nutrition for your longer runs.

Did you eat breakfast that day? If not, then this may have been the problem.
    How is your nutrition in general?
    Could you possibly drink a sports drink instead of water at some point on your route?
    Would you consider taking a gel or some sweets with your water?

i think my nutrition has been pretty bad to be honest.. i am definitely going to start using some sort of nutrition supplement now for the long runs..

i have a 16 mile this coming weekend so will let you know how i get on with that..

gonna drink plenty of water and eat as best i can..

my respect levels for anybody who can complete a marathon were already high but now they have rocketed.. it's easy enough (relative i suppose) to get up to 13 miles.. but after that it seems a whole new ball game..

thanks again for advice.

Fauna - that also happened me on my 13 miler two weeks ago. It's important to get your nutrition right and you might want to start looking at consuming gels on your runs from now on.

I've just started out my LSRs much slower now and I completed 15 miles on sat just gone taking a gel after 9 miles.

amazing well done you must have felt great afterwards (well except your legs)

I would agree with what has already been posted in that you need to sort out your nutrition for your longer runs.

Did you eat breakfast that day? If not, then this may have been the problem.
    How is your nutrition in general?
    Could you possibly drink a sports drink instead of water at some point on your route?
    Would you consider taking a gel or some sweets with your water?

cheers i will look into gels for definite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Donkeygonads

grifter09 wrote: »
    sos to ressurect an old thread. wasnt sure to write a new thread or not but anyway,
    Why should one not let their first race be the marathon?
    I signed up for it yesterday by the way. training going well.

<mod- moved to the relevant "first Dublin Marathon" thread>
    Running a marathon is a daunting challenge, especially if your a first timer ..... so, with race day approaching naturally you're going to be very nervous .... If you've had experience of running in these 5km, 10 km preparation races....... you'll know how to prepare and what to expect for the big day ....... running along at the start with thousands of other people particularly at the start when its slow and bunched up is tricky., particularly if you want to keep to a set pace ....... Its really a mental preparation thing , especially later in the race, when you 're a few miles from home and runners in their 60's plus are passing you out ...... and you're thinking ..... this is a disaster !!!!!! Previous race experience prepares you for this.

• Advertisement

You should check out this thread, which is full of people doing their first marathon in Dublin next month.
    (Next month :eek: )

And if you were running around Chapelizod, there's a group run on Saturday morning that should be handy for you (see the last few posts in that thread).

RayCun wrote: »
    You should check out this thread, which is full of people doing their first marathon in Dublin next month.
    (Next month :eek: )

And if you were running around Chapelizod, there's a group run on Saturday morning that should be handy for you (see the last few posts in that thread).

oh cool i was looking for a thread like that but somehow i didn't see it cheers

Running a marathon is a daunting challenge, especially if your a first timer ..... so, with race day approaching naturally you're going to be very nervous .... If you've had experience of running in these 5km, 10 km preparation races....... you'll know how to prepare and what to expect for the big day ....... running along at the start with thousands of other people particularly at the start when its slow and bunched up is tricky., particularly if you want to keep to a set pace ....... Its really a mental preparation thing , especially later in the race, when you 're a few miles from home and runners in their 60's plus are passing you out ...... and you're thinking ..... this is a disaster !!!!!! Previous race experience prepares you for this.

ha some dude in a honey monster costume whizzing by you at mile 24 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Donkeygonads

ha some dude in a honey monster costume whizzing by you at mile 24 :)
    There's plenty of marathon runners who never made it to mile 24 .... never got the medal or the t-shirt !!! Those are the ones I'd feel sorry for..!!! I got back to the hotel after picking my goodie bag last year ....only to find the t-shirt was a size too small ....... Gutted I was !!!:mad:................:D!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

i did take a powerade beforehand and some water around mile 11..

A bit late waiting till Mile 11 to hydrate imo.

I loose about a Kg in weight per hour running (approx 1% body weight) from sweating. After 2 hours that's 2% which is around the point that performance is effected. After that and I'm on a slippery slope to Trudgesville.

I've had that feeling. Didn't like it, never will.

xebec wrote: »

In general, yes the can/should be faster than the long runs at the weekend. What plan are you following? The author should have given some guidance on what pace to do the runs at. Good rule of thumb is LSRs at 45-90 seconds a mile slower than planned marathon pace. Recovery runs (first short run after long run) should be a little fast than this. Other runs, depending on distance should be much closer to PMP or even a little faster if they're short...
    I'm following Hal Higidon Novice program. I've ordered his book so no real advice on pace. I'm 7.45-8 min/mile over first ten but know that I can't keep this up so 8.30 the target. Btw... LSRs, PMP =?

i think my nutrition has been pretty bad to be honest.. i am definitely going to start using some sort of nutrition supplement now for the long runs..

i have a 16 mile this coming weekend so will let you know how i get on with that..

gonna drink plenty of water and eat as best i can..

my respect levels for anybody who can complete a marathon were already high but now they have rocketed.. it's easy enough (relative i suppose) to get up to 13 miles.. but after that it seems a whole new ball game..

thanks again for advice.
    Fauna, same happened me last week on 15 miler...great to find it out now though. Never got gels so its early brekie for 16miler. Bringing water on a run is a real pain.

I'm following Hal Higidon Novice program. I've ordered his book so no real advice on pace. I'm 7.45-8 min/mile over first ten but know that I can't keep this up so 8.30 the target. Btw... LSRs, PMP =?

PMP = Planned Marathon Pace
    LSR = Long Slow Run

You could plug your ten mile time in here
    http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm
    and see what it spits out for the marathon.
    Eg, if you can do ten miles in 78 minutes then (with the proper training) you could do a 3.38 marathon. If you think that's too ambitious, plug in a 3.45 marathon - the pace per mile for that is 8.36, and your long run pace would be between 9 and 10 minutes per mile.

The Higdon Novice1 programme doesn't say anything about midweek running pace, but in Novice2 he recommends running the longer midweek run at PMP and the shorter ones at an easy pace. (The very long run should be at a slow pace) You could give that a try?

Did 17+miles yesterday and used the Power Bar Jellies so energy levels were fine. I also brought some gel and to prove what a novice I am, I only saw that it is to be mixed with water when I opened it on mile 9! Is this a big deal to take straight? Assume its gets to the system easier with water..

Next issue to sort is the leg, muscles gave way after mile 15mile and I was at zimmer frame pace...any advice?

• Advertisement

It won't kill you not taking them without water, but it is a whole lot more pleasant afterwards if you do take water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Did 17+miles yesterday and used the Power Bar Jellies so energy levels were fine. I also brought some gel and to prove what a novice I am, I only saw that it is to be mixed with water when I opened it on mile 9! Is this a big deal to take straight? Assume its gets to the system easier with water..

Next issue to sort is the leg, muscles gave way after mile 15mile and I was at zimmer frame pace...any advice?
    SiS gels don't need to be consumed with water but are a bit bulkier to carry around

I don't think you necessarily have to mix them with water, as much as take water with them (e.g. you could stop at a shop and wash them down with some water). An alternative approach would be to take Isotonic gels instead (which can be processed without water). A couple of brands: SIS Isotonic gels / Hi5 Isotonic gels. It's still important to stay well hydrated during a long run.

Taking sports drinks and gels together can cause stomach issues, so don't try this unless you know it'll work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well everyone seeing as I originally posted this thread I think I should give you an update on where I am with training.

Last week consisted of 5, 7.5, 5 midweek runs ans a 14.5 mile lsr which took approx 2.5 hours. Definitly took it at the right pace and felt fine the next day.

Plan for the long run the next few weeks is

Half Marathon (Step Back Week)
    Marathon

As I said at the outset I am just hoping to complete the marathon for my first attempt. The week before last I met up with some of the boards runners for my 12 mile run (theirs was 15) and picked up plenty of tips about training paces etc.

also used gels for the first time properly last Saturday and I think they definitly helped in some way. Longest I has run for before was 1.55 and felt comfortable for the extra time this week.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Marathon
    Yep, that looks as good as it can be, given the time that you have available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Well everyone seeing as I originally posted this thread I think I should give you an update on where I am with training.

Last week consisted of 5, 7.5, 5 midweek runs ans a 14.5 mile lsr which took approx 2.5 hours. Definitly took it at the right pace and felt fine the next day.

Marathon

As I said at the outset I am just hoping to complete the marathon for my first attempt. The week before last I met up with some of the boards runners for my 12 mile run (theirs was 15) and picked up plenty of tips about training paces etc.

also used gels for the first time properly last Saturday and I think they definitly helped in some way. Longest I has run for before was 1.55 and felt comfortable for the extra time this week.

I'd make the 18 - 16 to give a little step back before 20 assuming the half will be at PMP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 DDPT

As far as the leg goes, ensure you have fully warmed up, download some stretches off the net, NB NB ice it after if its still sore, and drop the distance and / or intensity of your next run to assess where it is at.

D

mrslow wrote: »
    I'd make the 18 - 16 to give a little step back before 20 assuming the half will be at PMP?
    I wouldn't. The step-up from 16 miles to 18 miles is pretty significant if you have never run further than 16 miles before (25%) and the half marathon is already a step-back week.

I don't think you necessarily have to mix them with water, as much as take water with them (e.g. you could stop at a shop and wash them down with some water). An alternative approach would be to take Isotonic gels instead (which can be processed without water). A couple of brands: SIS Isotonic gels / Hi5 Isotonic gels. It's still important to stay well hydrated during a long run.

Taking sports drinks and gels together can cause stomach issues, so don't try this unless you know it'll work for you.
    For midweek runs is it advisable to take water or only as needed...never like the idea ofcarrying bottles during a run though.

For midweek runs is it advisable to take water or only as needed...never like the idea ofcarrying bottles during a run though.

I wasn't suggesting isotonic gels as an alternative to water, but rather as an alternative to non-isotonic gels on weekend long runs. Realistically, you should get to a stage eventually on mid-week runs, where you don't even need water. Just make sure you're well hydrated beforehand and afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

I wouldn't. The step-up from 16 miles to 18 miles is pretty significant if you have never run further than 16 miles before (25%) and the half marathon is already a step-back week.

Krusty - would you suggest 16/Half/18/20 for the next four weeks?

I missed my LSR last week and did 15 miles the week before that.

15 is the furthest i've got so far, maybe 17 this week?

• Advertisement
Advertisement