Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Celebrating Turkish bridegroom kills relatives

Options
  • 09-08-2010 1:04am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10908830
    A bridegroom in Turkey has accidentally killed three relatives while firing an AK-47 in celebration at his own wedding, Turkish media reported.

The groom lost control of the weapon as he tried to fire in traditional celebration in the air at the ceremony in the village of Akcagoze in south-eastern Gaziantep province.

The guests were sprayed with bullets and the groom's father and two aunts were killed.

The groom has been arrested.

The Anatolia news agency reported that eight other people were injured in the firing.

The three who died succumbed to their wounds in hospital.

Firing into the air is commonplace as a celebration in parts of Turkey and has on many occasions led to deaths and injuries.

Turkey has tried to impose harsher penalties but has not ended the practice.

wft :eek:

So been to any dodgy weddings lately ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Well, the good news is that on his wedding night, the bride was happy that the groom wasn't firing blanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Must have been a shotgun wedding.

/usual coat line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

That's up there with the more ridiculous traditions I've heard.

Would be a long-winded but ultimately genius way to take out your enemies though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Why didnt he shoot his wife?

orourkeda wrote: »

Bad aim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

He missed the mother inlaw :(

I'm sure he's a barrel of laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Probably not the best start to married life. Although not a bad way to make the wedding video a bit more interesting.

Double barrel

martyboy48 wrote: »

Thats downright lazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Welcome to the EU you crazy guys.
    You have so much in common with the rest of us in the EU.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

A bridegroom in Turkey has accidentally killed three relatives while firing an AK-47 in celebration at his own wedding, Turkish media reported.

The groom lost control of the weapon as he tried to fire in traditional celebration in the air at the ceremony in the village of Akcagoze in south-eastern Gaziantep province.

The guests were sprayed with bullets and the groom's father and two aunts were killed.

Well if nothing else it will be interesting to see if that wedding video makes it on to You've Been Framed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

The groom will be aquitted and the people who got in front of the bullets will be found to have cause the whole incident

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Emm, set up business in turkey selling blank bullets for celebrations = Profit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ah yes. The ancient tradition of firing a gun in the air.
    I believe Mohammed was the first one to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Who da funk brings an AK47 to a wedding?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Its an age old tradition in that neck of the woods and in other parts of the middle east. I think its some old notion of scaring away bad spirits with noise and of course announcing the wedding celebration to all. Which is common enough elsewhere. Plenty of cultures let of fireworks and the like. Not such a problem with the old style Bedouin rifles, just a bit of exuberance(theyre not likely to be drunk for a start). But automatic weapons not so much. I think this has happened in Turkey before? What I would asking is why they have military style automatic weapons?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Wibbs wrote: »
    Its an age old tradition in that neck of the woods and in other parts of the middle east. I think its some old notion of scaring away bad spirits with noise and of course announcing the wedding celebration to all. Which is common enough elsewhere. Plenty of cultures let of fireworks and the like. Not such a problem with the old style Bedouin rifles, just a bit of exuberance(theyre not likely to be drunk for a start). But automatic weapons not so much. I think this has happened in Turkey before? What I would asking is why they have military style automatic weapons?

south east Turkey is a pretty lawless area. Local Kurds want to form an independent state together with Kurds living in northern Iraq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Well, the good news is that on his wedding night, the bride was happy that the groom wasn't firing blanks.
    FearDark wrote: »
    Must have been a shotgun wedding.

/usual coat line.
    Superbus wrote: »
    That's up there with the more ridiculous traditions I've heard.

Would be a long-winded but ultimately genius way to take out your enemies though.
    Bad aim?
    martyboy48 wrote: »
    RayM wrote: »
    Probably not the best start to married life. Although not a bad way to make the wedding video a bit more interesting.
    Double barrel
    Well if nothing else it will be interesting to see if that wedding video makes it on to You've Been Framed.

Yay!!! Turkey is far away so we can make funnies. :pac:

If only Donegal was a bit further away we could have had a field day a few weeks ago.

TheZohan wrote: »

If only Donegal was a bit further away we could have had a field day a few weeks ago.

Wait until Turkey joins the EU, they won't be so far away then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

"Celebrating Turkish bridegroom kills relatives"

EPIC FAIL LOLZ!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Wibbs wrote: »
    You'd think the spirits would have realised what they were doing by now.
    Must be a bit of a slow bunch, or...

Wait. I've the perfect defense for this dude.

The spirits finally copped on that it was just noise and stuff, and that the bullets couldn't harm them (they discovered this after pushing Ahmed, the dead terrorist (the annoying cúnt that he is) into the line of fire.
    When they saw that he came away unscathed, they decided that it was time for revenge on those ****ers who had been scaring them for so long.

Adnan (one of the spirits) swooped down, grabbed the gun, and began pointing it at the guests. Yippee ki yay, motherfúckers*, he was heard to shout as the guests were riddled with bullets.
    His fellow spirits were so happy with this, that he was rewarded with a few of thier spare virgins. There was much rejoicing.

*He loved the Die Hard films.

TheZohan wrote: »

You know the rules.. If it's very local, they're a celebrity or it's someone who might sue, we have to be respectful. Otherwise, it's all fair game.

You know the rules.. If it's very local, they're a celebrity or it's someone who might sue, we have to be respectful. Otherwise, it's all fair game.

are you talking about the post office robbery? there are a lot of juicy details to be discussed there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You know the rules.. If it's very local, they're a celebrity or it's someone who might sue, we have to be respectful.

Yep, respect the Z list.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Who da funk brings an AK47 to a wedding?

Someone making sure that no-one does a runner with the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭mecanoman

Hipee ki Yay muther-duckers! Durka durka.

More cake for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

hmm, my brother is living in Turkey and is engaged to a girl from Anatolia.

/skips wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Blowfish wrote: »
    hmm, my brother is living in Turkey and is engaged to a girl from Anatolia.

/skips wedding

Kevlar Tux, problem solved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement