Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sample Tax return

Options
  • 27-07-2010 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Section 1 - personal details .... I'll leave that to you

section 2 - income,

select your occupation, and fill out the ABN and salary and tax/gross etc

now assuming you don't have any extra money coming in, this section is finished, typical e.g. bank interest or shares.
    so click section 3 - deductions

section 3 - Deductions
    again most people will have no deductions, some will, you can claim $300 with no receipts, also any charity donations can be deducted here under 'gifts or donations'

section 4 - Tax offsets
    You can skip this section, (though people with Australian health insurance, have a look at this section)

section 5 - Other items - skip

section 6 - income tests - skip

section 7 - Medicare
    If you hold a Irish passport you do not have to pay medicare surcharge
    question - were you in Medicare exemption category - YES
    You are in category 3 (cert from medicare levy exemption as you were a temporary resident of Australia), enter in the number of days you have been here for

I have included 2 files - 1 a sample pdf document with the basics
    2 a zip file with the actual etax file for this sample if anyone wants to view how it was done

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

fair dues for putting that together.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Advice: Download etax and have a go before you pay a tax agent a few hundred dollars. As per OP there is little involved, most people can skip through the bulk of it. You may not be able to submit online if you haven't filed a return in Australia before, but you can print the return from the etax programme, sign it and post into the tax office.

Unless you have been working consistently the same hours week in week out throughout the whole year (or got cash as a tradie), you should get a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thanks for this, just lodging now and it's a piece of piss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Laura Gaf

Wow! That was simple and really informative. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

Just had a tax agent draw up my return there last week. He has included the medicare levy in it. From reading the above I reckon I don't have to pay that. (I'm on a WHV by the way). Is that the case? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

I did mine myself. As far as i understrand we are exempt from medicare costs (also on a WHV) under some agreement between Ireland and Australia. I got my tax returned to me no problem claiming a return on medicare tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭poodles

Great thread ^

Does anyone know a rough rule percentage wise of how much tax you are likely to get back on a WHV?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Poodles there is a calculator on the ato.gov.au website, and very simple to use

Advertisement