Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 30: homemade pizza

Options
  • 25-07-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

This is rapidly becoming a favourite in my house. Its so easy and if you make double quantities, it can be frozen for a later date. It can also be made a couple days in advance and left in the fridge. I'll try and load pictures as I go through it, but am not sure if I can upload them.

Ingredients:

Pizza dough (to make some to freeze later, double quantities).

500g Plain flour
    1 sachet dried yeast
    0.5 teaspoon salt
    1/2 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp olive oil
    approx 300ml warm water
    1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
    1 teaspoon black pepper

Mix olive oil and warm water in a jug. Add dried yeast and stir.

Sieve flour into a big bowl and add in salt, sugar, mustard powder and blackpepper.

Make a hole/crater in the middle of the dry ingredients and add in the liquid.

With your hands mix the water into the dry ingredients until you have a wet dough. This can be done in a blender also (quicker), but I don't own one big enough.

Tip the wet dough onto a well floured surface and knead until you have a slightly shiney smooth dough. If the dough is very wet add some more flour. If it is too dry add some more water/milk.

Put the dough back into the the bowl, cover in clingfilm and leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size. Don't worry about the timing. You could make the dough in the morning and leave it to finish in the evening. My photos start here as I made this for dinner this evening, and only volunteered to submit this recipe at this time!

4828249742_f03264911b_m.jpg

As you can see I just left it on the windowstill as it was warm outside. Sometimes I put it in the hotpress.

The dough should look something like this when its risen:

4828086822_69af912335_m.jpg

Pour the dough from the bowl onto a well floured surfact and knead to deflate it. At this stage, if some is to be freezed wrap it in cling film and put it inthe freezer.

4827475237_51c4e9b586_m.jpg

Roll out the dough as thinly as possible in a shape to fit your pizza pan. I bought a circular tin with holes in the bottom from Tesco for about E5, but a biscuit/swiss roll tray works just as welll.

4828085402_d93f4f7c6d_m.jpg

I find it easier to stretch it with my hands before using the rolling pin, as it can be too stretchy to roll properly.

Leave for about 10 minutes to rest.

Tomato Sauce

1 can chopped tomatos
    3-4 fresh tomatoes (diced)
    Olive oil
    1 onion
    1 stick celery
    2 cloves garlic
    3-4 sundried tomatoes (in oil)
    Salt
    Pepper
    1/2 teasp Mustard
    Dash balsamic vinegar
    1/2 teasp sugar
    1/4 chilli pepper

Put onion, garlic, sundried tomatoes and celery into a blender and whizz until it is a pulp.

Heat olive oil in saucepan and add pulped vege. Fry until onions are cooked (pulp will turn slightly opaque).

Add rest of ingredients and simmer for twenty mins. Taste and add more salt/pepper, etc to taste. Cool. Sauce can be frozen at this point if required.

4828091432_fd9160c54b_s.jpg

Making up pizza

Spread the cooled tomato sauce on the base. Then add whatever topping you want. We put chorizo, cheese, red pepper and spinach on this evening.

4827472033_5470839995_m.jpg

Put into the oven at about 180deg celcius for about 20 mins or until dough has turned crispy.

Enjoy with a bottle of wine!

4827473607_86205aae84_m.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Oh, excellent. A bit different to how we do it so I look forward to giving it a shot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cool, thanks for this - I like to make homemade pizza using a pizza stone and blasting the bejesus out of it in my oven, but I rarely make the base.

Looks like a good tomato sauce recipe too, think I'll be trying this one with some random toppings...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Nice one, Dinkie! I'll be giving this a go soon.
    Dinkie wrote: »
    Last edited by Dinkie; Yesterday at 22:09. Reason: Found out how to embed photos.... but not make them bigger!

Would a moderator be able to increase the size of these fine-looking photos? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

will definitely be giving this a go, cheers op

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Love homemade pizza so much. :o

I too use the sachet of dried yeast and plain flour but I really want to try making the dough with fresh yeast and a strong 00 flour(dopio zero flour). Does anyone know of a source for strong flour?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

This looks great!

I've been trying a pizza stone lately and I just can't seem to get it right. I have a round pizza tray so will definitely try this. The tomato sauce recipe looks great too. I usually make a much plainer one, so this will be a nice change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I think you should be able to get the type 00 in good food shops... we have a place in Wexford - Greenacres which sells wine, cheese, meats, italian type stuff and they have it there.

Not sure where you live, but in Dublin there (used to be) may be a really good italian place behind the powerscourt shopping centre. Else I think in the italian quarter there is a place which sells that type of stuff (not from Dublin so not sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

My local Dunnes (Douglas, Cork) has started to stock the Roma 00 flour, its a red packet http://www.roma.ie/Products/Pizza-and-Pasta-Flour-17-1.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

OldGoat wrote: »
    I too use the sachet of dried yeast and plain flour but I really want to try making the dough with fresh yeast and a strong 00 flour(dopio zero flour). Does anyone know of a source for strong flour?

Don't know where you are, but Roy Fox's in Donnybrook sells it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i think we are going to make this tonight, depending on how long it takes the dough to rise and how hungry we are :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've got some mozzarella for this, what other types of cheese would be recommended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The dough is made, and I've left beside an "on" radiator to rise, hope this works, I primed the yeast before adding to the flour mix.

I hope this rises, because I've never successfully gotten dough to rise :o

Out to make the sauce now!

Des wrote: »
    I hope this rises, because I've never successfully gotten dough to rise :o

I'm delighted, it has risen!

Sauce is lovely too, I rolled out the pizzas (one is kind of square-ish!) and there's a bottle of Soave chilling in the fridge.

Pizzas in the oven, I'll post pics of the finished article

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

delish :D

we will definitely make this again(when we are more prepared)
    :)

Here's the pics

Ham, pineapple, salami and mushroom

DSCN3237.jpg?t=1281128831

Mushroom, Basil and Quorn Chicken

DSCN3238.jpg?t=1281128864

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I've got some mozzarella for this, what other types of cheese would be recommended?

I'm not a big cheese eater (only like the milder ones) but sometimes I use the pregrated cheddar and mozzerella mix from tesco.

Have also made this with ricotta and spinach or philapelphia.

If you have any extra dough get a lump of garlic butter or boursin/garlic philadelphia and wrap the dough around it. Put it in for the final 10 mins with the pizza and its really good garlic bread.

(Same dough recipe makes good foccacia - I'm all for multi purpose baking!)

Hi Dinkie

We made up a batch of this fine pizza today. Got out the old, trusty Kenwood Chef with the dough hook and let that do all the mixing.

The first one we made was a kind of Spanish one with chorizo (the ready-sliced stuff), black olives, onion and mild chillis:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=7001

We're going to make another one tomorrow evening, too. I'd say from the amount in your recipe we'll get four pizzas (we like thin crust).

And so, thank you! It's a great recipe and is far, far better than a takeaway or frozen pizza! :)

Here's the second one we made:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=7007

This one was Danish blue cheese sauce, celery, chicken marinated in Frank's RedHot sauce and shavings of extra mature cheddar.

We split the remaining dough up for freezing and have enough left for three thin bases!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i'm gonna be an awfully fat bastard if i keep making these badboys, unbelievably tasty compared to the store bought ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

That pizza looks amazing!! I think I'll be making this as my next treat!! Already looking forward to it and drooling!!!

I also love a thin base, really enjoyed this. Had jalapenos, onion, sun dried tomatoes ham and salami on it. I'll freeze some dough next time round and put the jalapenos under the salami too.

Thanks Dinkie!

DSC_2481.jpg

• Advertisement

How did you get yours so round, Mr. M? I rolled my dough out and put a plate over it and cut around that.

Oh yeah, one other thing I did was to lightly oil the work counter and then sprinkle semolina on it before rolling the dough out. I did the same with the baking tray. I've had pizza stick to the counter before and that's why I use this "double insurance". And I think that using semolina instead of flour gives a nice texture to the pizza.

I might go to a tile place and get an unglazed ceramic tile and use that to bake the pizza on the next time.

I would also be interested to know if anyone can toss the dough. I had a look at some YouTube videos and might give that a go too!

I just used a sharp knife and my eye to cut it round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Just discovered the cooking club and just want to say GREAT! inspiration, ideas and recipes all in one place!

This will be the first i'll try. Myself and my young son love pizza and i've always wanted to try homemade - looking forward to trying this out immensely!

Quick question...would an 'oven chips' tray suffice to cook this on? it's got fairly large holes on the base and is square (i can live with a square pizza!) - but it's kinda curved...can anyone suggest an alternative pan to cook on that most households would have?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Bigb any roasting tin would do if your stuck. I made big version of this on the underside of a large roasting tray and it was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Here's my effort; Ham, Salami, Chili and Mozzarella. It was gorgeous but I used too much dough. I probably could have made three thin ones instead. There's always next time though (possibly tomorrow!). Thanks dinkie!

Before:
    pizzaprep.jpg

After:
    pizzafin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

For an added twist (inspired by travelling through Greece) I normally throw a liberal amount of oregano on after spreading the tomato sauce mix. Also add a few smallish cubes of feta cheese - they seem to melt from the inside out so you get a lovely "feta-bomb" in the mouth when you bite through.

Must pop up some pics of my next attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I have always loved making pizza, the little nieces and nephews have a ball making it to.

We had this last night, I love it very simple mozzerela and anchovies. yum

2li93rb.jpg

Thanks Dinkie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

made this today for dinner, haven't had a pizza in a long time and i really enjoyed this. thanks for the recipe.

DSCF2442_thumb_1.jpg

DSCF2443_thumb_1.jpg

DSCF2448_thumb.jpg

DSCF2449_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Is there any substitute for yeast? The only ingredient i dont have:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Nope, its 90c in tesco (there own brand) It is worth it

Advertisement