what is the best pasture topper - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-08-2009, 10:55   #16
djmc

congrads
I dont have one but its a good name I think
You should keep a few spare blades or flales in the tractor as they can brake in stoney rough ground but they are easy change them
If you keep oil in it and put in shed for winter it will last for donkeys years
Advertisement
20-08-2009, 13:28   #17
pakalasa
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmc View Post
.....If you keep oil in it and put in shed for winter it will last for donkeys years....
Good advice !!!!!!
I have an old sidespreader. It must be 20 yrs old now. I powerwash it, let it dry and cover it with old black engine oil (wear gloves - cancer risk)after I use it. It's like new.
Drives me mad when I see new machinery lying in a field over the winter.
20-08-2009, 13:40   #18
locha

Hope it goes well for you. Bought a 9ft Krone 2/3 years ago. Before I did I had a major topper... no comparisson the Krone is an animal of a machine.. put on the skids good and high and you will be sound. the only bother I had was actuaully putting the mower on the tractor.. then I copped that when taking the mower off you must cut the oil supply to the ram that lifts the body... makes life alot easier.
21-08-2009, 06:18   #19
masse5455

thanks. have ta wait for it ta stop raining for a day ta do a bit a topping see what shes like until den ive her in the sheep shed look like she could be there for another while yet ha
23-08-2009, 21:38   #20
rooney32

had an abbey trailed topper for last 15 yrs no hassle with it. its a gear driven they also made belt ones that gave a good bit of trouble
Advertisement
02-09-2009, 11:26   #21
Muckit

We bought an abbey 7' side mounted topper in 2007, very nice machine, does and excellent job.

Keep it down on lowest setting (50mm) and after cattle have move on, top away. Of course a topper set high won't have grass regrowth looking as good as when a mower has cut lower!! (compare like with like!)

A topper has blades that swing on the rotors and also shearbolts. If you hit an obstacle (which you inevitibly will when topping pasture) it'I give and all you break is a bolt!!

A mower is just that! For mowing!! It's primarily designed for meadow land, flat even land with little contours and less chance of hitting stones, mounds etc. A specifically designed machine for a certain job is always going to give better results overall.

I think it should be pointed out 2 that their is no comparsion between a side mounted and in-line topper (one that's straight behind the tractor) The tractor in this case tends to flatten the grass and the cut isn't good where the tractor tracks are.

A side mounted is alot more (3-3.5K as apposed to 1-1.2K), but you get what you pay for
02-09-2009, 12:11   #22
Sam Kade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckit View Post
We bought an abbey 7' side mounted topper in 2007, very nice machine, does and excellent job.

Keep it down on lowest setting (50mm) and after cattle have move on, top away. Of course a topper set high won't have grass regrowth looking as good as when a mower has cut lower!! (compare like with like!)

A topper has blades that swing on the rotors and also shearbolts. If you hit an obstacle (which you inevitibly will when topping pasture) it'I give and all you break is a bolt!!

A mower is just that! For mowing!! It's primarily designed for meadow land, flat even land with little contours and less chance of hitting stones, mounds etc. A specifically designed machine for a certain job is always going to give better results overall.

I think it should be pointed out 2 that their is no comparsion between a side mounted and in-line topper (one that's straight behind the tractor) The tractor in this case tends to flatten the grass and the cut isn't good where the tractor tracks are.

A side mounted is alot more (3-3.5K as apposed to 1-1.2K), but you get what you pay for
He already made his choice and bought a disc mower which was the best choice.
02-09-2009, 14:13   #23
Muckit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kade View Post
He already made his choice and bought a disc mower which was the best choice.
Thanks Sam Kade for pointing that out. I suppose I was just giving my 'two-pence ha'penny' on the subject of toppers in general.

Your right though at the end of the day everyone has to make the right choice for themselves.
02-09-2009, 14:35   #24
dryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
best topper is a disc mower , machinery is good value at the moment , you might get a 2nd hand kuhn or lely , dont buy a fort though or a morro which they used to be called , crap
Im just replying to an earlier post here on this thread - i'd like to know the reasons behind the comments on the Fort disc mower above?

I have a Fort 2060 myself that i use for both Topping, mowing, and hedge trimming. I have it 6 years now and it hasnt given me one bit of hassel. Smashing machine.
The machine (like all the bits and pieces that i have) is housed after use for the winter, rubbed down with waste oil and regularly checked for grease and oil, etc..
In fact, a fair few farmers in the area have the same machine and likewise, i dont hear anyone running them down.

Another thing is that i cant compare with any other make as it was my first mower to own/buy. I'd like to hear any experiences with Fort out there - good/bad.
Advertisement
21-07-2010, 00:03   #25
Louisburgh lass

Wylie Topper

I have a Wylie Trailed topper and it has just broken a cog in the gear box of the topper for the second time, its only 1 year old and has only done 60 acres of topping on good quality ground. Has anyone come across the same problem?
21-07-2010, 21:41   #26
fiatagri8090

Have an 8 foot abbey trailed topper which i bought 4 years. Great job. Wouldn't consider a disc mower as i have heard from people who have had lots of problems with them. With triled topper you can move fast and is more suitable on uneven ground and for cutting rushes etc. I cut all my meadow with a 5 foot 6 fella rotary mower (45-50 acres annually) never had any problems. Disc mowers are overpriced.
22-07-2010, 10:23   #27
pakalasa
Closed Account

I bought a Belmac 6" offset topper there about 3 years go. No problems whatsoever. I cut rushes with it too ....have to drive very slow though.
Its well built. When I was pricing around at the time, it was the cheapest I could get. Neighbour had one at the time.
22-07-2010, 12:41   #28
reilig
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakalasa View Post
I bought a Belmac 6" offset topper there about 3 years go. No problems whatsoever. I cut rushes with it too ....have to drive very slow though.
Its well built. When I was pricing around at the time, it was the cheapest I could get. Neighbour had one at the time.
The father in law has a new belmac topper too. i used it last weekend for him and couldn't believe how nice it cuts. we have a fleming at home and I have to say that the belmac has a neater cut.
22-07-2010, 12:50   #29
vanderbadger
Closed Account

have a conor topper, its one that is very slightly offset so most of it is behind tractor, its true what someone said about not making a great job over the tractor tracks..still it does the job for me, takes plenty of abuse, we also had a conor one before this, basically the same topper except for 1 big diff, on the older ver the rotor was a big lump of metal, when it got a bang or bent it kinda took the balance outta the topper and you would have alot of vibration..with the newer ver that big block of a roter has been replaced with 2 strips of steel, in other words there are 2 strips of steel bolted together between the 2 rotors (the rotor fits between the 2 strips either end)..its looks much lighter but somehow its alot stronger, never seems to bend no matter what you hit
01-05-2013, 23:59   #30
Iferguson

Here is an 8 foot side mounted conor topper at work in a rushy field. cuts them no bother

http://youtu.be/VkpnHOsOVd0
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion