Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin to Baghdad by road in 1957

• 05-07-2010 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

by the late President of Ireland Erskine Childers
    sorry about small text

Fiat1100cover.jpg

Fiat1100-1.jpgFiat1100a.jpg
    Fiat1100b.jpgFiat1100c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

see? there were mad b@stards back in those days too

uber-cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I wonder what happened to that Fiat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I wonder what happened to that Fiat?
    I hate to say it, but i'd imagine it was sold off cheap on their return and run into the ground just like any other ordinary car. Shame, it should be in a museum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Whats with the EIR sticker on the back of the car, was that official for 1957?
    I also seen SE on older Irish cars, 'something Eireann' I think.

'EIR' was the standard oval sticker identifier for Ireland until 1961, then it changed to 'IRL'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_vehicle_registration_codes#I

Looking at this would make me wonder, would a modern Fiat manage to do this trip without a vast array of engine management lights coming on!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

hi5 wrote: »
    I also seen SE on older Irish cars, 'something Eireann' I think.
    Saorstát Éireann, i'm guessing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Looking at this would make me wonder, would a modern Fiat manage to do this trip without a vast array of engine management lights coming on!?

Yes they do. I know somebody who has owned a Panda 4x4 like the one in the photo for over 10 years in Mali, rarely driving on tarred roads. She has never had a major problem with the Panda apart from the usual wear and tear. Great car, might not cover your definition of "modern" though.

Incidentally if anyone is heading to Baghdad take an first series Omega 2.3D,or an E34 524d, they are mad about them there.

fiat_panda_1980_01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A tank might be wiser these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Incidentally if anyone is heading to Baghdad take an first series Omega 2.3D,or an E34 524d, they are mad about them there.

Sounds like the diesel supply situation has improved, diesel cars were banned under Saddam. Petrol was so cheap there that there was no real rationale for diesel cars, plus, they used local oil for servicing, it was rubbish and didn't do a lot for diesel engines.

(diesel was not available within the city, only on the outskirts where the truckers hung out)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

It wasn't the only Irish-built vehicle to go to Baghdad. In the 1980s, CIE sent over a new Bombardier Doubledecker bus for service in Baghdad. Wonder if it still survives?

• Advertisement

^ I remember hearing about that. I very much doubt if it's still around.

Advertisement