Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scone or Scon?!

Options
  • 07-07-2010 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Ok so bascially i need to get a majority of people on my side to say that 'SCON' is the correct pronunciation and not 'SCONE'! Now i might be entirely wrong with my pronuniciation of it but it's just annoying when you have people saying back to you that you that 'IT'S SCONE AND NOT SCON!' :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Do you say 'con' instead of cone? No. So it is SCONE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

It's scone, unless you're one of those people. If ya say it your way it i'd have no idea what you were saying. Especially if we were talking on the phon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If you use the word's actual spelling as one of the options for pronouncing it, you're kind of working against yourself.

I pronounce it to rhyme with 'cone' rather than 'gone'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

What the hell is a 'Scon'???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Scone. End of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

NothingMan wrote: »
    It's scone, unless you're one of those people. If ya say it your way it i'd have no idea what you were saying. Especially if we were talking on the phon.

^Sniggered

Yes its 'S-cone".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

cake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Yeah definately rhymes with "bone". Scon? Where the hell did you grow up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Scone

Only wannabe posh people who think they are landed gentry say scon

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Scone if there is butter on it.Scon without.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

add a poll OP (or should that be pol?). It will further add to your humiliation!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

it's SCON alroite!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I never ask the butcher for 'T-bon' steaks, or should that be 'stee-ax'. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Bannana

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Your all wrong, if your unsure just call it a 99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If you use the word's actual spelling as one of the options for pronouncing it, you're kind of working against yourself.

I pronounce it to rhyme with 'cone' rather than 'gone'.

or rhyme it with hone, tone, bone, lone, cone and zone rather that done, none and gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Scone

Only wannabe posh people who think they are landed gentry say scon

I've only heard the ahjaysishowiye's saying it actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

scone-rhymes with bone.

You're not really doing very well here are you? :pac:

I think, maybe , up the North they say scon. I know a few people who do pronounce it like that, and they are all from that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There's a bloke in here that I keep winding up, he's stopped saying scon around me now because i'd promptly say scone after him...

• Advertisement

orourkeda wrote: »
    or rhyme it with hone, tone, bone, lone, cone and zone rather that done, none and gone

Now we're in scun territory.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I pronounce it the same way as the OP, to rhyme with 'gone'. It doesn't bother me when people pronounce it to rhyme with 'cone', but it does bother me when people seem to take it really personally that I pronounce it different to them because it makes me sound 'posh' :rolleyes: and try to convince me to say it like they do. Both pronunciations are correct, so fúck off with your inferiority complex. Oh, and I also say yoghurt with a hard 'o' :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,015 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's scone before it's eaten and scon afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Lara_Croft.ie

alwaysadub wrote: »
    scone-rhymes with bone.

You're not really doing very well here are you? :pac:

I think, maybe , up the North they say scon. I know a few people who do pronounce it like that, and they are all from that direction.

No, it doesn't seem to be going my way at all! nothing really does anyway if you post in 'After Hours' :p You kinda expect people to say the opposite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Its Scone. (pronounced skwun).

It rhymes with one. I thought everyone knew that.

Fishie wrote: »
    I pronounce it the same way as the OP, to rhyme with 'gone'. It doesn't bother me when people pronounce it to rhyme with 'cone', but it does bother me when people seem to take it really personally that I pronounce it different to them because it makes me sound 'posh' :rolleyes: and try to convince me to say it like they do. Both pronunciations are correct, so fúck off with your inferiority complex. Oh, and I also say yoghurt with a hard 'o' :P

Now that's odd cos I would have said poshos would say scon and yog-hurt and normies would say scone and yo-ghurt. But you've destroyed my convention and done gone mixed it up all together! I smell something fishie!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Oh, and I also say yoghurt with a hard 'o' :P

Are we removing "n's" from words too ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Lara_Croft.ie

Touché ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Novella wrote: »
    Do you say 'con' instead of cone? No. So it is SCONE.

*voice in back of crowd* I say 'con'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Scon" is the preferred British way of saying it, which is why anyone pronouncing it "Scon" in Ireland is likely to attract a particularly fervent opposition to it, even if the person complaining isn't entirely sure why they hate it.

However, even in the UK, "Scone" is slowly gaining popularity and will probably become the majority pronunciation in the UK within 50 years.

Interestingly in Scotland, "Scone" is almost unheard of and almost everyone prefers "Scon".

http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/survey-report-icphs.pdf

Advertisement