Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to waterford

Options
  • 06-07-2010 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am thinking of moving to waterford from dublin and wonder if there are any areas I should be be wary of.Thanks, terrylynch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

not really..there are a few areas that you will hear about that have a bad-ish name but to be honest it's only a minority in these areas and the majority living in them are normal hard working folk who dont cause any trouble to anyone..i live in one of the above areas and i've never had an ounce of bother from anyone..you'll always hear the bad before the good

maybe post of where you are thinking of and people can give you an honest account of what they think rather than posters naming places?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭freethepenguins

snuggles09 wrote: »
    not really..there are a few areas that you will hear about that have a bad-ish name but to be honest it's only a minority in these areas and the majority living in them are normal hard working folk who dont cause any trouble to anyone..i live in one of the above areas and i've never had an ounce of bother from anyone..you'll always hear the bad before the good

maybe post of where you are thinking of and people can give you an honest account of what they think rather than posters naming places?

Have to agree with Snuggles, post where you are looking and then you'll get the info ur looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

not really..there are a few areas that you will hear about that have a bad-ish name but to be honest it's only a minority in these areas and the majority living in them are normal hard working folk who dont cause any trouble to anyone..

In fairness, it only takes a handfull of d-heads to make life a misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Oh come on, why do people need to sugar coat things?

OP, don't even think about going to Ballybeg, Larchville or Lisduggan. Johns park is a bit sketchy too, Farran park as well, oh and Lismore and Templars Hall are full of students so if you want a quiet life you might want to avoid.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Honestly I know it's only a few make it bad but I wouldn't move anywhere near:

Ballybeg
    Larchville
    lisduggan
    Templars hall (students)
    and stay away from Geoffs :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Ha ha, great minds think alike rafa,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

OP, don't even think about going to Ballybeg, Larchville or Lisduggan. Johns park is a bit sketchy too, and Lismore and Templars Hall are full of students so if you want a quiet life you might want to avoid.

Not so full anymore. Lots of landlords are advertising vacant rooms. The gravy train is coming to an end. Good enough for them!

I know,

Who is that guy? Kelly I think his name is he had about 12 houses back when I started college 8 years ago and keeps them to the lowest standards and charges out 80-90 a room.

Delighted for the likes of that,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

OP, don't even think about going to Ballybeg, Larchville or Lisduggan. Johns park is a bit sketchy too, Farran park as well, oh and Lismore and Templars Hall are full of students so if you want a quiet life you might want to avoid.
    ziedth wrote: »
    Honestly I know it's only a few make it bad but I wouldn't move anywhere near:

Ballybeg
    Larchville
    lisduggan
    Templars hall (students)
    and stay away from Geoffs :)

It must be very cold up on your high horses out on the Dunmore Road.

Big assumption there budd,

I used to live in Lismore park and Wellington street when I lived in town.

this isn't 18th century London there are no class distinctions. The OP asked was there any areas we think he should be wary of and we answered.

So do what frankie said and.......relax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I'm not out the dunmore road, I'm living up the top of the town. I'm glad I'm living in a nice quiet area but sure nice try anyway, you were only way out, not way way out.

No problem,but instead of just signaling out Larchville Ballybeg Lisduggan,why not include The Glen seen as someone was murdered there recently,and Thomas St and Ferrybank as there was more stabbings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

No problem,but instead of just signaling out Larchville Ballybeg Lisduggan,why not include The Glen seen as someone was murdered there recently,and Thomas St and Ferrybank as there was more stabbings.

He's telling it like it is in fairness. Those are the main trouble areas, the areas people are least likely to look at moving into. No point in naming everywhere there has been a night of trouble, you'd have some seriously long list. At least he named the areas that are least preferable.

deisedevil wrote: »
    He's telling it like it is in fairness. Those are the main trouble areas, the areas people are least likely to look at moving into. No point in naming everywhere there has been a night of trouble, you'd have some seriously long list. At least he named the areas that are least preferable.

Yes unfortunately thats the way it is in Waterford these days,when was the last time or were you ever even in these "Trouble Areas",or even when was the last time any of these areas were in the news for trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Yes unfortunately thats the way it is in Waterford these days,when was the last time or were you ever even in these "Trouble Areas",or even when was the last time any of these areas were in the news for trouble?

Regularly in these areas and orginially from one of the areas in question...unfortuntely the Garda have given up on a number of these areas...

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Regularly in these areas and orginially from one of the areas in question...unfortuntely the Garda have given up on a number of these areas...

Sorry but you cant actually believe that,i would like to think that the Gardai have not "given up" on any area of Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Sure the Dunmore Rd has plenty of scallywags who are renting out there in very average houses. Many of them came from poorer parts of town, and consider themselves to have really moved up in the world.

One of them stole my sweater as I was exiting Ardkeen Stores at the weekend. I caught a chill while out sailing afterwards without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

curious about mention of Farran park a few posts back. I don't live there but the shop is within walking distance of me so I usually swing by for the blaas in the morning and cans on a fri evening while out strolling and have never encountered any sign of hassle except for a brief period during a well documented feud, etc.

Great shop so just wondering about the rest of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Farran Park has its fair share of scumbags. I wouldn't live there.

Doesn't have to be in the bloody news. I had two scumbags from Ballybeg break into my car around the corner in Meadowbank. Two months later another scumbag from Ballybeg broke into my house and robbed over 3000 euro worth of my stuff. All of them caught, all of them admitting guilt, all of them going to do time and none of my stuff can be retrieved so I have now moved to a decent area of the city. Meadowbank has had about 8 robberies in the last few months the Gardai told me. So would you think the OP should move to this area or would he be advised to move to quieter areas, should we be decent enough to tell him where to avoid.
    Also Meadowbank has little scumbags coming in there from Ballybeg(I know who they are) and they are breaking windows all the time, graffiti sprayed on the walls, terrorising neighbours etc. Would you like to live in an area with that going on, would you hear about it in the news??
    I lived in Paddy browns road for a year and the teenagers gathering around there at the weekends was a right nuisance, damage done to the door, fights in the streets, all sorts of crap going on, had a friend who was stabbed walking through Larchville for a shortcut home one night. Does any of that make the news or would someone have to tell you about that kind of stuff.

Bit of a reality check wouldn't do you any harm! There are some areas better avoided in EVERY city and the OP wanted to know what they were and he was told by some what they were. Get a grip on yourself boy!

• Advertisement

Sorry but you cant actually believe that,i would like to think that the Gardai have not "given up" on any area of Waterford.

They have "given up" on Meadowbank anyway for one. Three times Gardai told me exactly that. "Shur what can we do, look at the estate that's next to it, your lucky your renting because you would be better off moving out." Those are one Gardaí's exact words.
    Another who came out to do a bit of fingerprint dusting on my house said: "There's been 8 burglaries all the same out here and there's very little we can do about it really, there's more than likely someone from Ballybeg doing it. we might get lucky some night and get a call from someone and catch him at it." (Edit: They did get lucky, he walked into a Garda station and admitted to it and he was from the area)

I think your living in a dreamworld!

Doesn't have to be in the bloody news. I had two scumbags from Ballybeg break into my car around the corner in Meadowbank. Two months later another scumbag from Ballybeg broke into my house and robbed over 3000 euro worth of my stuff. All of them caught, all of them admitting guilt, all of them going to do time and none of my stuff can be retrieved so I have now moved to a decent area of the city. Meadowbank has had about 8 robberies in the last few months the Gardai told me. So would you think the OP should move to this area or would he be advised to move to quieter areas, should we be decent enough to tell him where to avoid.
    Also Meadowbank has little scumbags coming in there from Ballybeg(I know who they are) and they are breaking windows all the time, graffiti sprayed on the walls, terrorising neighbours etc. Would you like to live in an area with that going on, would you hear about it in the news??
    I lived in Paddy browns road for a year and the teenagers gathering around there at the weekends was a right nuisance, damage done to the door, fights in the streets, all sorts of crap going on, had a friend who was stabbed walking through Larchville for a shortcut home one night. Does any of that make the news or would someone have to tell you about that kind of stuff.

Bit of a reality check wouldn't do you any harm! There are some areas better avoided in EVERY city and the OP wanted to know what they were and he was told by some what they were. Get a grip on yourself boy!

Fair enough,you have had bad experiences in Meadowbank but thats not to say everyone is going to,i have two friends who are living there a few years and have never had any trouble.

Bit of reality check wouldn't do me any harm you say,well firstly its Browns road not Paddy browns road,and nobody needs to tell me about any of the "kind of stuff" you mentioned,and i dont believe that your "friend" was stabbed just walking through Larchville,anymore info and i might believe it.

Fair enough,you have had bad experiences in Meadowbank but thats not to say everyone is going to,i have two friends who are living there a few years and have never had any trouble.

Bit of reality check wouldn't do me any harm you say,well firstly its Browns road not Paddy browns road,and nobody needs to tell me about any of the "kind of stuff" you mentioned,and i dont believe that your "friend" was stabbed just walking through Larchville,anymore info and i might believe it.

I don't need to give you any more info about it, it happened.

In three months 8 houses robbed in Meadowbank. It doesn't matter what your friends think, it's not a great place to live because of the estate its located next to, the Gardai say the same thing, move out. Alarms were being put in to 4 different houses on the week I was moving out, sign of the times. That same week another bit of grafitti went up, had to drive around 4 bags of burning rubbish right at the entrance one night, little scumbags going around the back gardens of peoples houses, and once again someone tried to break into my house because landlord was taking ages to fix the window but I scared them off. Is that an ideal location to move to or would you go one better and say to move into Ballybeg altogether right into the heart of where the offenders live?

You do need a reality check regardless of the fact that I got the name wrong of a road, what had that got to do with me saying you could be realistic? :confused:

There's plenty of areas around Waterford that are grand and quiet, very little trouble compared to others. The OP was given a few areas that are known for trouble more than others but for some reason you think they are only the same as anywhere else in Waterford. :pac:

old gregg wrote: »
    curious about mention of Farran park a few posts back. I don't live there but the shop is within walking distance of me so I usually swing by for the blaas in the morning and cans on a fri evening while out strolling and have never encountered any sign of hassle except for a brief period during a well documented feud, etc.

A local shop (no bigger than a corner store)that employs a security guard :rolleyes:

Stop being pedantic...It is known locally as Paddy Browns Road!

Yes Boss wrote: »
    A local shop (no bigger than a corner store)that employs a security guard :rolleyes:
    yea, I know what the shop looks like :rolleyes:

yea, I know what the shop looks like :rolleyes:

You missed the point, he wasn't telling you what the shop looked like, he was obviously letting everyone else who might not know what it looked like that it was a very small shop that has to employ a security guard, which would tell you a lot about the problems they are having.

You missed the point, he wasn't telling you what the shop looked like, he was obviously letting everyone else who might not know what it looked like that it was a very small shop that has to employ a security guard, which would tell you a lot about the problems they are having.
    actually I didn't miss the point at all. I was being just as sarcastic as he was, hence the :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

gscully wrote: »
    Not so full anymore. Lots of landlords are advertising vacant rooms. The gravy train is coming to an end. Good enough for them!

Only because the last batch of students left, so they are looking for new students to rent out houses. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Did some deliveries to a shop in Farran Park. Local 13 year old scumbags used to throw stones at us.

Advertisement