Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco.ie and Verified by Visa - amount shows as zero

Options
  • 29-06-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I just got a new credit card that uses Verified by Visa. When I shop on the tesco.ie website, I find that at the final stage where I'm supposed to enter the VbV password, the amount shows as €0.00. I've just spent 45 mins on the phone to Tesco support who couldn't figure out why this happens. And my bank also denies there's any problem at their end. Has anyone else seen this problem?

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to Banking.

Does it really matter what amount shows? As long as you're on the right site, then it should be OK.

Note that VBV never asks for your full password, only 3 characters from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

jor el wrote: »
    Moved to Banking.

Does it really matter what amount shows?

Well, yes, because when I approve the transaction, only an amount for 0.00 goes though.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have verified by vISA on all my cards and use Tesco every week, never had a problem, but I have never noticed the total in the final box where you enter your pin.

If any of the digits of your card no. etc are wrong on the Tesco website you will not be charged so i recommend you just check every digit again just in case. If not let it go through, if it hasn't the store will call you in the morning for alternative payment before delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Understatement

oceanclub wrote: »
    I just got a new credit card that uses Verified by Visa. When I shop on the tesco.ie website, I find that at the final stage where I'm supposed to enter the VbV password, the amount shows as €0.00. I've just spent 45 mins on the phone to Tesco support who couldn't figure out why this happens. And my bank also denies there's any problem at their end. Has anyone else seen this problem?

P.

Hi Oceanclub,

Yes I'm having exactly the same problem. My card uses 'verified by VISA'.
    Every time I go to checkout, the final amount is zero. I rang Tesco support who insisted it was an issue with my credit card. I rang the credit card company who told me all was fine on their end but Tesco were attempting to request a payment of zero Euros, which is why the transaction failed.

I've never had any problems using VBV on any other site except Tesco online and I use my card all the time. It's very annoying. Tesco don't seem to have a clue how to deal with this issue - which is clearly some technical error on their end.

I have found that by allowing my tesco online session to time out (sometimes by leaving the computer on overnight) and returning later, the VbV feature works, and I can send my shopping list to Tesco and eventually get my shopping. Oddly, signing out and back in again does not seem to produce the same effect.

Clearly it's a technical glitch which Tesco needs to look at. I'm getting fed up though because I now have to wait overnight to process my shopping order every week.

That's unbelievable having to leave your order on screen overnight.

All I can say is my cards are AIB Visa (the original one not click) and MBNA mastercard and halifax visa (obviously not anymore!) if your card are any of these then maybe ask the bank to explain how come mine work, if not I have no idea.

What I can say is your card isn't actually charged when you do home shopping, the amount is just pre-authorized. If you do your shopping at 20:00 on a Tuesday night for delivery between 10:00 and 12:00 on Wednesday, the card isn't charges until about 9:15 after all your shopping is picked. The computers connected to the home shopping checkout add up all the substations and offers valid on that day and then actually charge the card.

So when you have finished your shopping the site pre-authorised your card for the total bill but the VBV amount is 0 as the charge isn't taken until the next day.

Have to admit it still doesn't explain why my cards work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Same problem here!

However I have found out that I only encounter this problem on the laptop in the house and that it works fine on my other computer. It had worked perfectly on the laptop until around two weeks ago. That coincided with me changing the virus scanner on that laptop to Microsoft Security Essentials. I'm not sure if that could be causing the problem or not as I've frankly been too lazy to investigate yet.
    Has anyone else looked at anti virus or firewall software as a possible cause though ?

I've found that it's only been a problem on the Tesco store website so far. I've rang around all the various helplines and got no joy with them before I discovered Verified by Visa works fine on the other PC.

By the way the total always shows as zero on the verified by visa window in my experience even when it works perfectly.The correct charge does go through and it doesnt affect the transaction.

I have windows vista and have 'avg', also works fine on OH's windows 7 laptop also with avg.

Advertisement