Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motor oil

Options
  • 24-06-2010 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭

tesco doing 2l castrol gtx half price at €7.49 for semi synthetic, €11.49 for fully synthetic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,028 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Full synthetic is Magnatec. They have petrol and diesel oil.

Petrol oil specs: 5W30, Full Synthetic, API SL/CF, ACEA A3/A4, GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025, BMW Longlife 01, Fiat 9.55535-G1 Price: €11.47

They also have flat windscreen wipers @ €3.99, Tyre Weld €4.49, Redex Petrol & Diesel Treatment €2.74

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PabD

esel wrote: »
    Full synthetic is Magnatec. They have petrol and diesel oil.

Petrol oil specs: 5W30, Full Synthetic, API SL/CF, ACEA A3/A4, GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025, BMW Longlife 01, Fiat 9.55535-G1 Price: €11.47

They also have flat windscreen wipers @ €3.99, Tyre Weld €4.49, Redex Petrol & Diesel Treatment €2.74

Was in Tesco Finglas on wednesday night and the flat wipers were on sale, cant remember either €0.99 or €1.99 ;)

They were nearly gone at the section where you walk in the main door but loads left near to where the tins of paint

Wonder how good they are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

magnatec is semi synth.
    castrol edge is fully synth

PabD wrote: »
    Was in Tesco Finglas on wednesday night and the flat wipers were on sale, cant remember either €0.99 or €1.99 ;)

They were nearly gone at the section where you walk in the main door but loads left near to where the tins of paint

Wonder how good they are though.
    Think you're wrong there. The standard ones are reduced to €1.99, but the flat ones are €3.99. The Car Care section has finally been relocated to the front, in the hardware/paint aisle. It's been labelled for months.
    magnatec is semi synth.
    I'm fairly certain it said Full on the container.... :confused:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

magnatec is semi synth.

The CastrolI picked up yesterday in Artane Castle was semi synthetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

what is the difference between them need to pick up some

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

naughto wrote: »
    what is the difference between them need to pick up some

The clue lies in the name.

You need to check your car's manual to find out what spec oil the engine needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Castrol Magnatec 5w30 A1 is fully synthetic, its only Magnatec 10w40 thats semi synthetic...

Does anybody know if Tesco has 5w30 Magnatec on offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jmadoyle

Cocoon wrote: »
    Castrol Magnatec 5w30 A1 is fully synthetic, its only Magnatec 10w40 thats semi synthetic...

yep its on offer , i picked up some fully synthetic in dundrum yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

They also have flat windscreen wipers @ €3.99
    PabD wrote: »

Reason why these wipers are so cheap is that they are for left hand drive cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭patrickc

darn and i bought 5litres to service the car today for 37 of the magnatec in a local motor factors

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Reason why these wipers are so cheap is that they are for left hand drive cars.
    WTF? Please expound!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

WTF? Please expound!
    The curved wipers that Tesco are selling are for left hand drive cars, on some of the packaging they also have a picture of a left hand drive car too.

You can fit them onto right hand drive cars but you end up with the wind-deflectors on them upside down. You can't turn the arm bracket holder around to the correct position for right hand drive wiper arms due to the design of the mounting block as it doesn't have the clip for the other side to keep the block in place when reversed.

I bought a 2 L bottle of Castrol GTX 10W-40 Part Synthetic (For petrol & Diesel) in Tesco Artane for €7.24

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

The Magnatec 5W-30 is indeed fully synthetic as written above hy Cocoon. They had plenty of it left in Tralee an hour ago (manor west), A1 spec (Ford) as well as A3/B4 (GM etc.), 2l for €11.49.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Thanks for the pics. No VW/Audi oil available. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

why cant you use 5W-30 magnatec in vw?

I bought 6 of the 2L 5w30 A3/B4 only to find them unsuitable for my Avensis. I wonder whats Tesco's return policy?

Pity they have no more 5w30 A1 left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I bought 6 of the 2L 5w30 A3/B4 only to find them unsuitable for my Avensis. I wonder whats Tesco's return policy?

are all 5/30s not the same?

Ford also use 5/30

Full refund with receipt if not opened

• Advertisement

why cant you use 5W-30 magnatec in vw?
    There is no VW specification-code on the label kindly reproduced above so its use in VAG engines is not approved and may invaidate your warranty and / or cause serious damage.

A VW (or Audi / Seat / Skoda / Bugatti / etc.) specification approval-code on an oil label would look something like for example, "VW 505 01" or "VW 505 00" for VW PD diesel engines, depending on whether the engine is configured for fixed or variable service intervals.

It is critical for VAG engines that the correct oil is used. Common and expensive problems associated with the use of incorrect engine-oils include turbo and injector failure, excessive camshaft wear, etc.

The documentation you got with your car will tell you the code(s) to look for on the oil-containers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

I was in tesco in Maynooth today and they were sold outa that 7.24 castrol.
    Never even saw the redex though i never though to look. WOuld have liked some of that. I did get a 1 liter bottle of 20W50 for 2.29 for my old car though.

mathepac wrote: »
    There is no VW specification-code on the label kindly reproduced above so its use in VAG engines is not approved and may invaidate your warranty and / or cause serious damage.

A VW (or Audi / Seat / Skoda / Bugatti / etc.) specification approval-code on an oil label would look something like for example, "VW 505 01" or "VW 505 00" for VW PD diesel engines, depending on whether the engine is configured for fixed or variable service intervals.

It is critical for VAG engines that the correct oil is used. Common and expensive problems associated with the use of incorrect engine-oils include turbo and injector failure, excessive camshaft wear, etc.

The documentation you got with your car will tell you the code(s) to look for on the oil-containers.

From Castrols own website it look like it will do certain VAG engines.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=9033608&contentId=7061846

From Castrols own website it look like it will do certain VAG engines. ...
    It seems the oil on the web-site can be used in certain VAG engines. That is because the oil you link to on the Castrol site has different specification codes to the label on the oil in the pictures above, although the oil seems to be the same.
    • Castrol site - Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A3/B4 VW Spec - "VW 502 00/ 505 00"
    • Picture Above has no VW specification codes, so personally I wouldn't use the oil pictured above in a VAG engine.

BTW, it is relatively new IME to see VW specs on Magnatec oils; it used to be only on Castrol Edge products.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Would be good to inform the motors forum of bargin's like these. :)

It was posted in Motors too.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement