Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Half Marathon support Thread

Options
  • 11-06-2010 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭

ok so here it is...the support thread spawned from my training plan thread. Check in...tell us your aims...give us advice and discuss your training here..

ill start

ill be starting the Hal Higdon half marathon plan on monday

im running 4 months have done a 5k a 10k and a leg of the cork marathon im aiming to come in under the 2 hour mark in the Galway Marathon...

Hal Higdon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

I'm looking for sub 1:35 in September, the last 2 years I've done 1:38 and 1:39 in the Dublin half. I'm still deciding what program I'll follow, I have a few to choose from (too many). I'll start a 12wk program on 28th June. Up till then I'm 'base' building. Hopefully a good half will set me up for a good XC season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've been looking for a good half marathon plan and can't find one. I'm not really a fan of the hal higdon plans. Think the major flaw in the half marathon plans I've found for a 90 - 100 minute half is that the mileage tends to peak at 40ish miles a week. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Very timely thread. I've a feeling that half marathons are going to be the new marathons around here... best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

I've been looking for a good half marathon plan and can't find one. I'm not really a fan of the hal higdon plans. Think the major flaw in the half marathon plans I've found for a 90 - 100 minute half is that the mileage tends to peak at 40ish miles a week. :confused:
    Yep, noticed this as well. The only one I have which differs is Bob Glover's in his book 'the competitive runners handbook'. He comes from a marathon background so his plans are more quantity. In his advanced plan the milage peaks at 55mpw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I started the Hal Higdon Novice Half Marathon Plan yesterday.

I only started running in Feb with the C25k. Finished that with a 5k race (31.30) I moved on to Hal Higdons Novice 10k plan. Finished on Monday with 10k at the Dublin Womens Mini Marathon (1.06)

I'll be following this plan up to the 9th July to keep up my fitness. I'm going on holidays then for three weeks. When I come back I'm hoping to start the plan again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

dolliemix wrote: »
    I started the Hal Higdon Novice Half Marathon Plan yesterday.

I only started running in Feb with the C25k. Finished that with a 5k race (31.30) I moved on to Hal Higdons Novice 10k plan. Finished on Monday with 10k at the Dublin Womens Mini Marathon (1.06)

I'll be following this plan up to the 9th July to keep up my fitness. I'm going on holidays then for three weeks. When I come back I'm hoping to start the plan again.

when are you hoping to complete your first half? your time frame should set you up well for dublin!

gerard65 wrote: »
    Yep, noticed this as well. The only one I have which differs is Bob Glover's in his book 'the competitive runners handbook'. He comes from a marathon background so his plans are more quantity. In his advanced plan the milage peaks at 55mpw.

I might have a look at that then. I have to break 1:40 first but I'd love to hit 96 minutes in September.

when are you hoping to complete your first half? your time frame should set you up well for dublin!

I'm not sure. I'll be away most of July and I'm assuming I'll lose some fitness then. I'd only have 6 weeks or so leading up to the Dublin Half 18th September. Seeing as I'm new to all of this I guess I should be doing everything properly. I might go away in August as well depending on funds!

Not sure if there is a Half Marathon around November or December, but if there is one I'll aim for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Very timely thread. I've a feeling that half marathons are going to be the new marathons around here... best of luck!

So mini marathons all the way then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck to everyone. This time last year i was just starting to get my first inclinations of a half marathon and have to say was the best idea i ever had. My advice would be dont rush things and enjoy the miles try run with company keep you motivated and interested and as the half gets close remind yourself of training put in rather than question have you had enough mileage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I had a custom plan done up, but have move from it as the early part was too much for me coming back from injury. My plan for now is easy miles ....... and then just introduce long tempo runs once a week and take if from there.

target is open and will depend on how training goes.

There are certainly a lot of mumblings about people wanting to improve their half marathon time. There are bundles of halfs in Ireland now and it's actually a distance I really enjoy. You still need to do your endurance training and long runs and it's just long enough to give me a kick, just long enough to make the legs ache and just short enough that you can go out and do the exact same thing the next day. :pac:

I just have to beat Woddle, I have a vague memory of us shaking on that in Cork...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not sure if there is a Half Marathon around November or December, but if there is one I'll aim for that.
    As far as I can remember, there's a half in Waterford around then, that seemed to be quite popular around here last year. That might suit?

There are certainly a lot of mumblings about people wanting to improve their half marathon time. There are bundles of halfs in Ireland now and it's actually a distance I really enjoy. You still need to do your endurance training and long runs and it's just long enough to give me a kick, just long enough to make the legs ache and just short enough that you can go out and do the exact same thing the next day. :pac:

I just have to beat Woddle, I have a vague memory of us shaking on that in Cork...
    ill run one before i consider doing two days in a row!!!

from the Hal Higdon program what are people planning to use as the cross training...i plan to put some miles up on my road bike..

also if people want to post links to training programs ill edit them into my first post

As far as I can remember, there's a half in Waterford around then, that seemed to be quite popular around here last year. That might suit?

That would be great. I looked at the runireland website and couldn't see any. But there is a 10 mile in Cork on October 9th.
    i

from the Hal Higdon program what are people planning to use as the cross training...i plan to put some miles up on my road bike..

I've been playing tennis up until now. But we just got knocked out of the league so I'll have to find something else. :( I used cycling to work as my cross on the 10k plan as well. This time round probably cycling or walking if the legs are tired. This week I'm doing a hike in Glendalough/ Greystones on one of my cross days. Depends on what fits in really....Tomorrow I'm supposed to do either 2 mile run or cross but my legs still need a good stretch after the mini so I think I'll do an hours yoga.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

For me, cross traing days will mostly be swimming or cycling - and once in a blue moon it will be dancing the night away!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That would be great. I looked at the runireland website and couldn't see any. But there is a 10 mile in Cork on October 9th.
    The one in Waterford is on 11 December. If you were aiming for that, then the 10 miler in Cork in October would be a good preparation for that.

The one in Waterford is on 11 December. If you were aiming for that, then the 10 miler in Cork in October would be a good preparation for that.

Wow you are brilliant! Thanks so much! I feel extra motivated to do them now because you've been so good for spurring me on and I don't want to let you down! :D

any info on the 10 miler in cork is that balincollig? ( spelling)

I've been playing tennis up until now. But we just got knocked out of the league so I'll have to find something else. :( I used cycling to work as my cross on the 10k plan as well. This time round probably cycling or walking if the legs are tired. This week I'm doing a hike in Glendalough/ Greystones on one of my cross days. Depends on what fits in really....Tomorrow I'm supposed to do either 2 mile run or cross but my legs still need a good stretch after the mini so I think I'll do an hours yoga.

how far were you cycling? im sure the 2m run/cross doesnt mean a 2 mile cycle :)

• Advertisement

any info on the 10 miler in cork is that balincollig? ( spelling)

I saw it on the run ireland website here

plenty of time to recover after galway!

im sure there is another 10 miler on in cork though...my boss is doing it...ill ask him about it on monday.

how far were you cycling? im sure the 2m run/cross doesnt mean a 2 mile cycle :)

Well I wouldn't be too fussy about the cross days. I think its just to keep the fitness levels up and the muscles moving. He does say not to over exert your self with the cross training. My cycle to work takes 25 mins because its a gradual uphill and the way back is 20mins. I'm not sure exactly how far....maybe 6/7k each way. I keep meaning to set the milage in the car and measure exactly but I always forget!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Tipsygypsy wrote: »
    For me, cross traing days will mostly be swimming or cycling - and once in a blue moon it will be dancing the night away!

I am thinking a weight training circuit followed by a swim, but I'm not a great swimmer so it'll only be 100m or so! But I should be able to add to that if I'm doing it regularly. And I might not be able to move my arms at all after the lifting!

So who started there training today? i started Hal Higdon Novice with a 3m run...my first time running since the relay on cork...felt awful :P

Hey Drifter. I did my 3 mile run on Friday and it was tough! I guess my body was recovering from Mini Marathon still! We'd want to toughen up a bit if we think we'll get this half marathon done!:D

i know!!! im just looking at the program from week 7 on its like running a 10k once a week :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Dublin half is going to be my first half.

Did the 5m last year, no real training, wasnt doing any sports or anything, finished in 60 mins. Was when I realised how out of shape I have gotten.

Doing the 5, 10 and Half this year. Have been playing more soccer, handball, tag rugby and cycled to galway and back. So have a base, now need to convert to distance, and hopefully wont be as bad as last year. Im still very out of shape though.

Looking at the OPs plan, i think im going to go for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I started my Hal yesterday with a pilates class. Swapping days and doing the 2 mile run today as I'm just coming back from an injury (pulled calf muscle that healed badly - had to get all the adhesions massaged out - :eek: painful).
    I haven't run in 17 days and I can't wait!!

eta (x-post from fitness)

So in the Hal novice plan each Thursday there is a run, from 3 miles up, PLUS strength.

Following from a link in the plan he seems to favour light weights

Go High/Low: If you’re training for a race like the Gate River Run, you don’t want to bulk up. Extra weight will slow you down. To avoid putting on pounds, keep the pounds of the weights you lift low and the repetitions high. Vasto recommends lifting 50 to 60 percent of the maximum weight you can lift in a set of 12 repetitions. Two sets of 12 work well for most of the lifts described later. For maximum benefits, without wasting a lot of time, do your strength training two or three times a week, after you run, not before

Now this doesn't go with what I've been told at all. I usually go as heavy as I can manage...but maybe I need to change that? Don't fancy prissing about 2kg weights though

So can anyone rec a good efficient workout that won't take me ages? (I rem seeing one EileenG posted last week or so, but can't find it now) If I do go against Hal does that change whether I should do the weights before or after the run?
    I can park at the gym & run from there but I imagine I'm going to be pretty hot & sweaty coming back - wouldn't it be bad gym etiquette to start doing weights in that yucky state?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

am starting a plan (based around HH novice and doing a tempo run/speedwork session on the thursdays) next monday morning. Can't wait.

Hopefully fathers day will have brought a Garmin 305....maybe its wishfull thinking but the amount of hints i've dropped at home lately.........

Only started running this time last year after years of inactivity. In the last year, started out doing the c25k and haven't looked back.

will be doing the adidas race series this summer. Keep up the posts folks

Advertisement