Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sequels that are better than the originals

Options
  • 23-05-2010 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Are there any movies which have sequels better than the original. like take Shrek for example, number 1 was the best out of the 4?
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Terminator 2 was better than the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

The Empire Strikes back is better than A New Hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Though 2 completely different classic films I have to say Aliens for the rewatchability factor.

The Dark Knight, quiet an achievement considering I wasn't a fan of the first one. I loved this one but, fùck, how can I wait 2 damn years for the next one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

The Bourne Supremacy is a better film than Identity. Not miles apart but a noticable improvement. Greengrass definitely improved the series, that's for sure. Ultimatum obviously the best though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Renn wrote: »
    The Bourne Supremacy is a better film than Identity. Not miles apart but a noticable improvement. Greengrass definitely improved the series, that's for sure. Ultimatum obviously the best though.

I agree :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Anyone agree that the second Godfather movie was better than the first?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Lethal Weapon 2, its easily one of the best action movies sequels ever.

Toy Story 2

In the case of Terminator 2, the first is a better and tighter sci-fi movie, the second is a better action movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

• Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    Cos the original was long, boring, and dull. The sequel had an egomaniac with a godly superweapon, a father-son reunion, and Kirk actually growing from a boy-scout into a seasoned hero.

• Kill Bill Vol. 2
    First one was almost a parody of tarantino's favourite chop-socky films. This one felt far more real, and took its time telling the tale so the bride could take her time delivering badass deathery to her wrongdoers.
    • Iron Man 2
    It was like Iron Man 1, except Even More Awesome.

• Superman II (the Richard Donner Cut)
    Only saw this recently. Hated the strange campy tone of replacement director Lester's final product. Would love to know how Donner's realised film would've looked like. The Donner Cut is an approximation, but still rocks.

• Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
    The first was boring to me! Loved the second one, just so outlandish.

• Back to the Future II
    It's only slightly better because of the cool interweaving of its plot with BTTF1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

bandit197 wrote: »

No, no it wasn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭jgr12

For a Few Dollars More

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Terminator 2 and my favourite film of all time 'The Godfather Part II' are the two that come to mind. I also slightly prefer 'Aliens' to 'Alien' and the 'The Two Towers' is my second fave LOTR after 'The Return Of The King'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quatermass and the Pit easily the best Quatermass movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Underworld Evolution

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't know if there are a lot of sequels that are better than the first, but there are a few that at least match the quality of the first:

Toy Story 2: the obvious one. A worthwhile new story that gives fresh life to the themes and characters addressed in the first. It's a sequel about growing up, a theme which I hope they'll be able to continue on for the third one.

The Dark Knight: arguably better than Begins, arguably worse, but for me on a par. Again, elaborates on the ideas posed by the first, and continues to build on the classic characters and ideas.

Before Sunset - OK, this is a genuinely better film than the first, which was a simple but effective romance. This is much better, though, the real-time structure is fantastic and there has been rarely a better excuse to revisit characters 10 years later. The actors, film-makers, characters and audiences have grown up.

Evangelion 2.0 - You Can (Not) Advance: one of the best films I've seen in a long time, not only is it a considerably better film than 1.0, but it's a stunning reimagining of the old TV show. Full of ideas, iconic characters, and action, I'm pretty damn excited there's two more films to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

unreggd wrote: »
    Underworld Evolution

tbf thats like comparing sh1t with slightly less runny sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Debbie Does Dallas in Space. Like the original, but in space. Awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Not only is Star Trek : the Wrath of Khan is a great film on its own, but, it also blows the slow ST: TMP out of the water.

I'm undecided on Alien vs Aliens yet. Few more re-watches methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Nobody has mentioned Spiderman 2.

It has a more credible (and more frightening) villain than most comic book movies. It's smarter, faster, funnier and flat out out enjoyable than the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Greyfox

• Kill Bill Vol. 2
    and took its time telling the tale so the bride could take her time delivering badass deathery to her wrongdoers.

Really surprised at this as everyone I know found Volume 1 to be miles better.

I loved Volume one as it's far more intense and ends with my favourite fight scene and Vol 2 had nothing anywhere near as good (only one great fight). I thought volume 2 was a good film but my major problem with it was that it "took it's time telling the tale", I believe Tarrantino was a little short of enough material for 2 films which meant he dragged out the actual Killing of Bill

Loved the first Terminatior but think Terminator 2 is much better, also enjoyed Alien but thought Aliens was far superior. Godfather 2 is better then the original although I think their both a little overratted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Greyfox wrote: »
    Really surprised at this as everyone I know found Volume 1 to be miles better.

I loved Volume one as it's far more intense and ends with my favourite fight scene and Vol 2 had nothing anywhere near as good (only one great fight). I thought volume 2 was a good film but my major problem with it was that it "took it's time telling the tale", I believe Tarrantino was a little short of enough material for 2 films which meant he dragged out the actual Killing of Bill

I preferred Vol 2 as well. It wasn't about the fighting. It was about the characters. Uma Thurman's acting when she sees her daughter for the first time is worth the price of admission alone. Fantastic stuff. And the scene with her and Bill is incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

• Iron Man 2
    It was like Iron Man 1, except Even More Awesome.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

bandit197 wrote: »
    Mr. K wrote: »
    The Empire Strikes back is better than A New Hope.
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    Though 2 completely different classic films I have to say Aliens for the rewatchability factor.

The Dark Knight, quiet an achievement considering I wasn't a fan of the first one. I loved this one but, fùck, how can I wait 2 damn years for the next one :(
    Renn wrote: »

Agreed on all counts.
    re: Kill Bill 2, I prefer it but TBH volume 1&2 really are supposed to be the same film so I don't know if that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Coulda swore we have had this thread many a times..

But i cant ever see past Aliens as being far superior to Alien.

Albeit a different vibe and perhaps theme, i just prefer the second one so much more.

Terminator 2 is also another obvious candidate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

I think Aliens is a clear winner over Alien.

Terminator 2 versus. Terminator is a much stiffer competition. I really couldn't choose a favourite.

The first was so unsettling in places, the second was ground-breaking but lost alot of the tension by making John's defender mostly indestructible. Essentially removing alot of the fear of an unstoppable killing machine, when you have an only slightly-less unstoppable cheesy line spitting machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

If 'The Devils Rejects' counts as a sequel to 'House of 1000 Corpses' then its vastly superior. Probably the best (and only) thing Rob Zombie will ever do.

'Bride of Chucky' is the best of the Child's Play series of films.

'Evil Dead II' is much more enjoyable and is far more re-watchable compared to the original.

'28 Weeks Later' IMO is better than the original. Sure its deeply flawed, but the original was also and more so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Ivan wrote: »
    I think Aliens is a clear winner over Alien.

I would have to respectfully disagree with that. I love both Alien & Aliens but Alien is a masterpiece of cinema and as good as Aliens is it's just not quite up to that standard. In saying that they are 2 very different films and comparing them isn't really fair.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Some of my friends think Pirates 2 is better than 1 (I don't)

I enjoyed X-Men 2 much more than the 1st

I'm pretty sure Fantastic Four 2 is better, although i didn't care for either film.

I haven't seen them in a while, what about Naked Gun 2?

...the rest i can think of have already been mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

• Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
    The first was boring to me! Loved the second one, just so outlandish.

I actually had to click remove thanks after reading that... The rest of your post was spot on, but that was so horribly wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Id have to watch them again but from memory thought Jurrassic Park 2 was better than original.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Kipling

Easily better then the first one!

Leprechaun_two_poster.jpg

Advertisement