Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watching dreambox through laptop

Options
  • 13-05-2010 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭

I heard this is possible ?

If so is it straight forward or what do I need to do :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

what image are you using?

With most you can just enter the dreambox LAN IP into your browser and then click on a web-tv interface button, it usually looks for you to have a relatively new version of videolan installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,184 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I could never get it to work on any images I used before the blackhole ones.
    Currently using Dream Elite Blackhole V1.1 and it's works great. The quality is fantastic, watching on the laptop out back now actually :).

23vlr1y.png

Would I be right in saying using this doesn't use any internet bandwidth doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

what image are you using?

With most you can just enter the dreambox LAN IP into your browser and then click on a web-tv interface button, it usually looks for you to have a relatively new version of videolan installed.

I'm not to well up on it but believe its a Nabilosat Black Hole image.

Probably a total noob question but how do I get the LAN IP from the dreambox ?

Not 100% sure on blackhole, but go to settings, network settings - and check in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,184 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Not 100% sure on blackhole, but go to settings, network settings - and check in there.

Menu > Setup > System > Network > Adapter settings

• Advertisement

Thanks for that guys , what do ye recommend I install on the laptop ?

I am sadly away from my dreambox these days so it is all fuzzy memory... infact I have no satellite tv here! fcuking apartments!

I recommend you install the latest version of videolan Barr. videolan.org then it should all work fine.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

On a similar vein, and probably stupid question...

Is it possible to stream from one Dreambox (or similar Linux hardware) directly to another?

So, for example, Dreambox1 has BBC1 on via satellite cable, as per normal. This box is networked to Dreambox2, which has no satellite input, instead just being able to stream whatever Dreambox1 is doing. If it worked, it'd be a handy multiroom solution for me!

byte wrote: »

Is it possible to stream from one Dreambox (or similar Linux hardware) directly to another?

So, for example, Dreambox1 has BBC1 on via satellite cable, as per normal. This box is networked to Dreambox2, which has no satellite input, instead just being able to stream whatever Dreambox1 is doing. If it worked, it'd be a handy multiroom solution for me!

I'd also be very interested in knowing if this is possible as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Tunisia-sat Dreambox player and web streamer works perfectly.Works straight out of the box.Just enter IP and login details.Google it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Although I have never tried this it shouldn't be a problem. There is a VLC client addon for the Dreambox so you could, in theory, run that client and conncet it to the other Dreambox, I might try this when I get home and let you know.

If you have a 2nd Dreambox there are much better ways to get multiroom with it though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Like Carbsy I use the TuniaSat software - Has a recorder on it too, its really is a superb piece of software

Barr wrote: »
    Thanks for that guys , what do ye recommend I install on the laptop ?

h*tp://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f39/stream-your-dreambox-remote-computer-12522/

dreamboxviewer.jpg?t=1273854230

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

azzeretti wrote: »
    Although I have never tried this it shouldn't be a problem. There is a VLC client addon for the Dreambox so you could, in theory, run that client and conncet it to the other Dreambox, I might try this when I get home and let you know.

If you have a 2nd Dreambox there are much better ways to get multiroom with it though ;)
    Thanks, I'll be interested to hear your results.

I guess, the second box doesn't necessarily need to be a dreambox, but some sort of streaming device that could pull the live stream from a dreambox over ethernet. That way, I could move my stb to this room, and network cable downstairs to the sitting room, to a streaming box, connected to the plasma via HDMI (I'd doubt it'd work if I entered IP address of DB into my PS3 webbrowser, as PS3 doesn't have VLC).

I was thinking loosely, of getting a VU+ Duo, putting it upstairs in this room, where cabling is easier access than sitting room, then a network cable down to sitting room to a cheaper stb like a DM500HD or something...

It's either that, or go back to basics with a UHF modulator (since non of these stbs have RF modulator) through my distribution system like my current TM6900, but this doesn't allow for good pictures or stereo sound.

PC wise, that Tunisiasat s/w looks good.

Thanks, I'll be interested to hear your results.

I guess, the second box doesn't necessarily need to be a dreambox, but some sort of streaming device that could pull the live stream from a dreambox over ethernet. That way, I could move my stb to this room, and network cable downstairs to the sitting room, to a streaming box, connected to the plasma via HDMI (I'd doubt it'd work if I entered IP address of DB into my PS3 webbrowser, as PS3 doesn't have VLC).

I was thinking loosely, of getting a VU+ Duo, putting it upstairs in this room, where cabling is easier access than sitting room, then a network cable down to sitting room to a cheaper stb like a DM500HD or something...

It's either that, or go back to basics with a UHF modulator (since non of these stbs have RF modulator) through my distribution system like my current TM6900, but this doesn't allow for good pictures or stereo sound.

PC wise, that Tunisiasat s/w looks good.

Well, it looks like it can't be done on a DM500. Or at least I am having diffculty getting it to work. Gonna try from a DM800 to a DM800 and see how that goes

Well, it looks like it can't be done on a DM500. Or at least I am having diffculty getting it to work. Gonna try from a DM800 to a DM800 and see how that goes

I'm doing it on my 500s with Gemini

Manc-Red wrote: »
    I'm doing it on my 500s with Gemini

Really? Which Dreambox are you streaming from? I just couldn't get the plugin to connect to the source Dreambox. What settings are you using and what version of the VLC plugin? My DM500 is Gemini too.

Really? Which Dreambox are you streaming from? I just couldn't get the plugin to connect to the source Dreambox. What settings are you using and what version of the VLC plugin? My DM500 is Gemini too.

Download this vlc first - ht*p://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/videolan/vlc/1.0.5/win32/vlc-1.0.5-win32.exe

Then this version of the DM player (works best for me) - h*tp://www.mediafire.com/?kgzmunw51mm

Reboot, start player - icon on screen, then enter IP address for Dreambox.

Then Bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Download this vlc first - ht*p://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/videolan/vlc/1.0.5/win32/vlc-1.0.5-win32.exe

Then this version of the DM player (works best for me) - h*tp://www.mediafire.com/?kgzmunw51mm

Reboot, start player - icon on screen, then enter IP address for Dreambox.

Then Bingo

I think azzeretti means streaming from one dreambox to another, not to the pc.I only have one Sat DM600PVR myself so can't try it.

• Advertisement

carbsy wrote: »
    I think azzeretti means streaming from one dreambox to another, not to the pc.I only have one Sat DM600PVR myself so can't try it.

Ah sorry lads I was on about the lappy

Advertisement