Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locks that work

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Thanks for that, but i dont think any of those links work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Original thread from London FGSS, the discussion which follows the list is useful

Aha, from here i presume.
    Very comprehensive stuff there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Personally, I use Kryptonite Evo Mini to lock frame and rear wheel to the bike rack & a flexi cable for added protection, which locks the front wheel back to the D lock.

Kryptonite%20Evolution%20Mini.jpg

krypt_210610_7ftkryptoflex_07_m.jpg

They aren't on the list above, because they are not 16mm, but are the choice of bike messengers (so can't be too bad) & are not too heavy to carry in my bag. A thieving scummer will easily get through the flex but the Dlock should be a good deterent.

The Kryptonite Faggedaboudit gets very good reviews, but is heavy to carry & may not fit your frame + wheel + bike rack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

IMO where and how you lock it is as important.

I was locking my bike to a stand in a college, thinking whats the point in my fagheddaboudit if the rack is 1mm hollow crappy steel?

Lo and behold the cuts were evident further down. needless to say I locked it to something more solid.

Depending on where im going my Kryptonite Keeper gets the nod ahead of the faghedaboudit , purely because of where im locking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

There is probably a market for a universal bracket that attaches a Fahgettaboudit securely and conveniently to a frame. I would be pleased to pay for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

I got the Kryptonite New York M-18 [18mm] as a gift, which is apparently their strongest lock ... doesnt fit on the bike though!

Still have it in the box as I take my bike into the office anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Bluefoam wrote: »

Bad to hear - I have one of these. Seems like a pretty decent lock.

I also have the Fahgettaboudit though and a kryptonite kryptoflex (what can I say - I don't want some thieving scumbag making off with my beloved bike) so it's not all bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

tomasrojo wrote: »
    There is probably a market for a universal bracket that attaches a Fahgettaboudit securely and conveniently to a frame. I would be pleased to pay for one.

Id say A mounting for a browning 50cal would do. The weight of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I really need a new lock. Where's cheapest for a "Fahgettaboudit" ?

• Advertisement

Thisis the cheapest i've seen it but i think someone else has somewhere cheaper they posted before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yay, I have the Onguard Brute, it definitely feels indestructible, it weighs a ton, also it comes with a 4 spare keys, a registration service for ordering more on their website and the main key has a fairly bright little torch built into it for your keyring.

kona wrote: »
    Id say A mounting for a browning 50cal would do. The weight of them!
    Maybe a rack-mount would work. A pannier on one side and the Fahgettaboudit on the other side for balance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I use a Kryptonite Evolution Mini as my second lock. It is useful because it is relatively small but still robust, and I would imagine its size is the main selling point for couriers too (after all, you wouldn't expect them to be leaving their bike for long anywhere so they don't need the strongest lock available). Although it does seem robust its design doesn't put it up there with the better primary locks for me. For one thing, the shackle locks on one side only so you only have to make one cut to remove the shackle - by comparison my primary lock, an Abus Granit X-Plus, locks on both ends of the shackle and the shackle is square so the only way to remove it by cutting is to cut the shackle in two places.

The Almax site has a Wall of Shame where they list locks they have broken, which makes for an interesting read. They list the Abus Granit Extreme as lasting only 12 seconds (for one cut) against a hand-held boltcutter, which isn't very encouraging but then bolt cutters will get through most things. They list the Almax Immobiliser Series III chain as having never been cropped, but I understand this is because its dimensions make it hard to trap in the blades of a bolt cutter rather than it being a much harder chain as such - doesn't make it any less impressive a result though, assuming it's really true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Using hand held boltcroppers on any substantial thickness of chain requires several feet of leverage and full body weight against the floor, so the chain needs to be close to ground level. That's how that fat bloke from the Almax videos manages to get through so many of them.

A similar thing applies with bottle jacks on u-locks - it's only possible if you can get the jack inside the shackle.

So there is a lot you can do with intelligent lock positioning.

Nothing will resist a powered angle grinder, but they are very noisy.

Lumen wrote: »
    Nothing will resist a powered angle grinder, but they are very noisy.

Not if they use one of these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You also have to remember that what Almax call a "hand-held" bolt cutter is 3.5 feet long and weighs more than 8kg. You're not going to see many pikeys walking around town hauling one of these.

It's something you'd keep in the back of a van, but a guy working on a chain with a bolt cutters while his van sits beside him will attract a lot of attention.

As Lumen says, if you don't leave the chain near the ground and minimise the amount of slack (wrap it around a couple of times), it'll be very difficult to get the bolt cutters to apply enough force, especially without completely destroying your bike and making it worthless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

Recently bought the Kryptonite Fagghaboutit lock but trying to decide what lock/flex cable to go with this so that front wheel is locked and flex goes through rear lock.

am looking for something that i can attach to bike, doesnt weigh a ton yet is pretty thief resistant. all the flex cables i'm looking at seem really easy to cut off.

it seems to be defeating the purpose of buying an expensive lock to secure bike frame and back wheel then having one of these flex cables whereby the front wheel can get robbed easily.

any reccomendations?

seanie500 wrote: »
    it seems to be defeating the purpose of buying an expensive lock to secure bike frame and back wheel then having one of these flex cables whereby the front wheel can get robbed easily.

any reccomendations?

Pitlock skewer.

• Advertisement

+1 On the boltcutters. I have one in the garage and they are very awkward to use. There are such easy pickings out there they arent gonna go through an 18mm unless your bike looks REALLY Valuable. Like 2k....

Recently bought the Kryptonite Fagghaboutit lock but trying to decide what lock/flex cable to go with this so that front wheel is locked and flex goes through rear lock.

am looking for something that i can attach to bike, doesnt weigh a ton yet is pretty thief resistant. all the flex cables i'm looking at seem really easy to cut off.

any reccomendations?

The flex is meant as just another level of deterrent. I have no quick release on my bike. So youd need to cut the flex, then unbolt the front wheel. Its all about making the bike less attractive to rob. The better you lock your bike the more the scummer will look to other less well protected bikes...

As regards the likelihood of someone using a long boltcutters in public, I know of one person whose bike was stolen on the North Quays (locked to a pole on the footpath). It was taken by two men in high-vis vests carrying boltcutters and there were people walking past at the time. Onlookers may have assumed they were builders and therefore that carrying and using boltcutters in public was somehow normal, but even if it was obvious that they were stealing the bike people are (understandably) unlikely to be willing to put their own safety at risk by intervening. A brass neck on the part of the thieves will get them through many situations that most other people wouldn't dream of trying.

So regardless of the lock that you use, as already mentioned you still need to be careful in your choice of where you lock the bike and how you lock the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

Lumen wrote: »
    Pitlock skewer.

interesting - great idea ........ do you use this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

seamus wrote: »
    You also have to remember that what Almax call a "hand-held" bolt cutter is 3.5 feet long and weighs more than 8kg. You're not going to see many pikeys walking around town hauling one of these.

I once seen a guy walking towards merrion Square from Ballsbridge direction with an angle grinder (still running) as he crossed at the lights. He looked like a builder so most people ignored him, thank god someone in front of me let a roar at him not to be a r*t*rd and knock it off when walking in public
    doozerie wrote: »
    As regards the likelihood of someone using a long boltcutters in public, I know of one person whose bike was stolen on the North Quays (locked to a pole on the footpath). It was taken by two men in high-vis vests carrying boltcutters and there were people walking past at the time. Onlookers may have assumed they were builders and therefore that carrying and using boltcutters in public was somehow normal, but even if it was obvious that they were stealing the bike people are (understandably) unlikely to be willing to put their own safety at risk by intervening. A brass neck on the part of the thieves will get them through many situations that most other people wouldn't dream of trying.

My flatmate let a roar at a scummer outside Tara st station trying to break a lock with a hammer and a screwdriver, at a fairly busy time, no one stopped, no one did anything. The guy turned around held the screwdriver up and told him to F off or he'd stick him (again no one flinched, or stopped, or pulled a mobile out). He went and called the Gardaí who took 35 minutes to come down due to other priorities (fair enough if it's true). The guy broke the lock but couldn't get it off but I'd say the guy who owned it would be hard pushed to get it off as well afterwards.

interesting - great idea ........ do you use this?

I have used both Pitlock and Pinhead security devices.

The Pitlocks are more secure but less convenient to get on and off. Currently I use Pinheads on my commuter/hack for the wheels and headset bolt. I don't leave it anywhere dodgy for any length of time so the Pitlocks are overkill. My seatpost is unsecured as I could never find the type of collar with flat faces to take the appropriate security bolt.

Pinheads can probably be removed with needle pliers, Pitlock probably not. After bending a Pitlock saddle clamp it took a long time with a Dremel to get it off.

Worth bearing in mind that whilst securing the wheels and stem is easy enough with Pitlocks, bars/shifters can be removed with an allen key in a couple of minutes, along with the saddle, seatpost, brakes, derailleurs, bottle cages....

Maybe a rack-mount would work. A pannier on one side and the Fahgettaboudit on the other side for balance!

Maybe this is impractical. I have to road-test it still.

Also, that tiny bungee is needed for holding one of my guitar cases together, so I'll have to buy another if I start using this.

113954.JPG

Tried it out. Works well. No rattling, no sound at all.

It helps that on that rack the lock's shackle fits snugly into the gap in front of where the supports from the seat stays are bolted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hi, today www.iBood.com has a Trelock MP 650 lock on offer for €29.95 + €12.50 P&P

iBood only have this for today so act fast if you want it. Spotted it in my daily mail & thought it topical for thus thread.
    The RRP according to iBood is €79.95 so it sounds like it might be a good deal, even better if a group club together to share postage.

I'm not interested in one myself but thought others may be.

[url]Http://www.ibood.com[/url]

• Advertisement

This is an odd request maybe, but does anyone know where I can get some 25cm bungee cords? I just want to get a few spares for holding on the Fahgettaboudit, as pictured above. Since I'll probably leave the cord on the bike, it'll eventually get stolen.

I'm quite happy with that system, having tried it out for a few days. When I'm carrying fewer than two panniers it's very handy. When I'm carrying two panniers, I can always put the lock in the pocket of one of the panniers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep an eye on Aldi/Lidl. I bought a big box from there for 6-7 euro.
    Maybe has 20 bungees in it.

Aldi have a set of them plus other fastening devices for just shy of a tenner, I got them for the same purpose today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

They have different sized bungee chords in B&Q. I'm not sure exactly what length but you can always just cut a long one and re-knot the end.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=bungee&x=0&y=0&fh_view_size=150&fh_start_index=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

This is an odd request maybe, but does anyone know where I can get some 25cm bungee cords? I just want to get a few spares for holding on the Fahgettaboudit, as pictured above. Since I'll probably leave the cord on the bike, it'll eventually get stolen.

I'm quite happy with that system, having tried it out for a few days. When I'm carrying fewer than two panniers it's very handy. When I'm carrying two panniers, I can always put the lock in the pocket of one of the panniers.

I have a pack of these 25cm cords from B&Q, which I use regularly on the bike. They are quite thin so not as robust as the longer bungee cords but they are perfect for attaching light things to the bike rack and/or a rucksack. They would probably be robust enough to hold a bike lock in place. Last time I was in the B&Q in Tallaght they had them in stock for about 4euro I think.

• Advertisement

Scien wrote: »
    Broad daylight doesn't deter a lot of thieves.
    Interesting video here of a lad robbing his own bike 3 times in the middle of NYC.
    He uses a boltcutters, hacksaw and angle grinder and no one bats an eyelid.

LOL at the police. Not surprising at all though, sadly:rolleyes:

Got an e-mail today, from Amazon, with these on special offer, some are better than usual others are just the same:

Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Lock
    RRP: £119.95
    Price: £49.90
    You Save: £70.05 (58%)
    You Save: £8.01 (10%)
    Kryptonite New York 3000 NYL Lock with Bracket
    Price: £69.95
    You Save: £15.05 (33%)
    Kryptonite Evolution Mini LS Lock with Bracket
    RRP: £45.00
    Price: £29.21
    You Save: £15.79 (35%)
    You Save: £18.05 (45%)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone else come up with ways of mounting the Fahgettaboudit? Had it in a back pack yesterday and my back is killing me today. I take it that it's too heavy for a bracket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I mount mine on the railing at work where I lock it. If I have to take it with me it goes in my rack bag or in a panier. I think Tomasrojo puts the lock piece on top of a carrier and the loop coming up from below (see post 28 further up this thread). My carrier wouldn't manage that without a bit of hacking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Oh, and just as important
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

Personally, I used Kryptonite Evolution Mini + Pitlock, which has resisted without problem for the last 4 years, with 2 visible attempted thefts. The Evolution Mini may not be the strongest, but it's the right size, which counts for a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Have you a rear rack? I've recently started using the Abus UGH fittings to mount a lock to either side of my rack (where panniers would go).
    ugh02.jpgAB9095.jpgp014380.jpg

Each pack has three fittings with a good strong elastic, and you can position them wherever you like (on rack bars from 5 mm to 16.5 mm diameter), to suit the dimensions of whatever your mounting.

Initial set up involves fastening the fittings on to the rack with an Allen key, but to use them all you do is hook the elastic around the lock (x 3 locations).

I use one set on either side of the rear wheel for a Kryptonite NY Fahgettaboudit Mini and an Abus Steel-O-Flex Granit X-Plus 1050 which are quite different shapes but each is held firmly. (I don't bring both locks unless I'm going somewhere I'll need them because each is > 2 kg.)

I've only been using them for a few weeks but so far:

+ve
    • They hold both locks firmly without any rattling.
    • They're adaptable insofar as you choose whereabouts the three mounts go, so they can suit all shapes of lock (my 2 are quite different).
    • Once you've chosen suitable positions for the three points that match the lock shape in the initial setup, it's fast to secure and release the lock.
    -ve
    • Minor quibble but they're a little bulkier than I'd expected.
    • I don't use panniers, but I imagine that they might get in the way of a rigid pannier although I suppose a soft one would just mould around them.
    • They're designed to mount on a rack; on the whole I'd prefer something I could mount directly on the frame.

I suppose the real proof will be how long the elastic remains firm, but I like the fittings pretty well so far and it certainly beats having to carry the locks in a satchel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Some guys in a white van called around to my sister's house last week. They noticed she had some building work done and there was metal to be had. Her builder had financial difficulties, and abandoned scaffolding and steel girders in her back garden. She told the white van people to take the scrap. They fired up their petrol powered angle-grinder and cut up the girders and scaffolding easily and loaded the van.

Its not often you get to see an angle-grinder at work.

As I watched them I was thinking that a Kryptonite wouldn't last long. What would slow someone with an angle-grinder is (1) public places (2) lock as high as possible (3) minimum space between lock, frame, and bike rack.

But the best security is keep the bike indoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Anyone else come up with ways of mounting the Fahgettaboudit? Had it in a back pack yesterday and my back is killing me today. I take it that it's too heavy for a bracket?

Go on to deal extreme and look for the lock blocks with velcro. You'll need 3. They work perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Do you always have to carry your locks? I leave mine (U lock & cable) locked to an old bike thats been abandoned, I carry a light cable lock if I have to stop on route. That said I need a new lock my exsiting ones aren't great. I bought a massive chain and lock, but its was too awkward to use, so stopped using it. Mines in off street car park, so less risk.

Advertisement