Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanity Check - €1000 Build Budget

Options
  • 09-05-2010 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I haven't built a PC in ages but I want to get one together in a hurry. Main purpose is gaming. Will be running Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit and already have monitor, (22" 1080P) and peripherals.

I set out with a budget of €1,000, ended up taking some advice from the recent threads here and I'm stretching to €1,100 in the build below.

I don't want to go beyond €1,200 including shipping and all parts must show as in stock:

VdB9g.png

Will likely change the PSU to the modular one... if I can.

A couple of questions:

1. Do I need to purchase thermal compound or cables? Am I right in thinking boxed products should have everything I need these days?

2. CPU Cooler: Good for overclocking or not? Is there something else available out there that might be better?

3. Mobo/RAM/CPU combo: Am I good with these? Is there a better performing match of these three types of components at around the same price point?

4. Graphics card: Can I make it to a 5850 somehow? (but staying within budget!) Thinking like I should be getting at least that level of performance for a system build of under €1100

5. As I haven't built a PC in a good while, Are there any shiny new fangled steps or methods I should be using? Thinking specifically around overclocking, but any advice you have would be well received?

Thanks all,

Luc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Same card here for less so can put more on other bits. Just might be a bit extra incl. del
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5020944/art/pixmania/radeon-hd-5830-1-gb-gddr5.html

Cpu should come with termal paste so no need for any as its boxed.

For memory would maybe go with something cheaper like one of these and as your in kildare shouldnt be too hard to collect in celbridge and save on delivery :). Also using this promotion code gives 5% off: 6Y3GFN
    http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr3ram/6gboczpc310666platinumtriplekitcl7.html
    http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr3ram/6gbpatriotpc312800vipercl8triplekit.html

With saving on both of them could maybe squeeze in a small boot ssd? I just bought one for a similar specced machine I got and its brilliant how quick it boots and how quicker things seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Nice find! +/- €30 or so cheaper... I think pixmania might charge me the difference in shipping though!

With a boxed CPU, the stock cooler comes with the thermal compound solidified on the bottom. As I want to overclock, I've added a cooler so I'm hoping that comes with some decent compound and I don't have to buy some, (I think that last time I built a PC, I used artic silver 2, lol)

Nice one on the RAM, the patriot stuff looks like it might be a better option, the OCZ is 1333Mhz though, I think for an over clock I'd need 1600Mhz?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Lucutus wrote: »
    Nice find! +/- €30 or so cheaper... I think pixmania might charge me the difference in shipping though!

With a boxed CPU, the stock cooler comes with the thermal compound solidified on the bottom. As I want to overclock, I've added a cooler so I'm hoping that comes with some decent compound and I don't have to buy some, (I think that last time I built a PC, I used artic silver 2, lol)

Nice one on the RAM, the patriot stuff looks like it might be a better option, the OCZ is 1333Mhz though, I think for an over clock I'd need 1600Mhz?

For overclock with 1600mhz could try these with better timing, really is worth the extra few quid:
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=24070&agid=1193
    I just bought the cl7 variant of this myself 3 or 4 days ago as had the same idea for overclocking and I had the same ram in my old machine, it was an i7 920 and was a real good overclocker :). Over 4ghz on air with no extra volts.

One other thing, the motherboard if you decide to get the 5830 from pix could look into this also, would be the board i'm looking to get to finish off my machine, would save a few quid and a good overclocker:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4781147/art/gigabyte/ga-x58a-ud3r-1366-socket.html
    Edit: Just checked this board today to order it and is out of stock now, was 10 showing last night.

Also while trying to keep price down an Artic freezer pro 7 rev 2 would be a good choice of cooler. I picked up two of them in peats recently as got them for €25 each. Dont seem to advertise them on there site but have them in the stores. Could pick up some artic silver 5 also.

Advertisement