Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing hoodies/Polo shirts for a GAA club...advice sought..

Options
  • 15-04-2010 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hey all, I have been assigned the task by my club to source Hoodies and if the price is right Polo shirts....these will be aimed primarily for Juvenile players ...

As we all know kids won't wear any auld thing so was aiming for decent quality, we want them to be proud to wear the clubs colours. O'Neills seem to be the brand leader for GAA items but seem extremely pricey quoted : ages 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, 10/11 - €27.50 + emb (no VAT)

13/14 - €33.00 + emb (incl VAT)

S, M, L, XL, XXL - €38.00 + emb (incl VAT)

club crest 3e + 1.5e for sponsors are extra.....

what discount should one expect for bulk purchasing? would hope to get about 100 in total? Club would like to buy extra and sell on our website... only if the price is right...

Have other clubs out there used other brands .... successfully? What prices did ye pay....

Is it better to deal with the reps for the particular brand or go through an intermediary dealer...

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

My club uses O'Neills and those prices are the same we pay. We're only a small club and only order what people want so bulk purchasing wouldn't come into it for us.

We have used other suppliers at a cheaper price and have found that the quality was just not there. Yes you are getting the gear cheaper but in the long run will it last? This is especially important if the childs parents are paying for the gear rather than the club. If it is not of good quality and they have issues you are the person who they'll come to to get it sorted. I'm sure you don't want that hassle. Of the gear we purchased from O'Neills last year there was an issue with one hoodie which they replaced without question.

In summary O'Neills are pricey but the stuff is good quality and does last.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

My club uses O'Neills and those prices are the same we pay. We're only a small club and only order what people want so bulk purchasing wouldn't come into it for us.

We have used other suppliers at a cheaper price and have found that the quality was just not there. Yes you are getting the gear cheaper but in the long run will it last? This is especially important if the childs parents are paying for the gear rather than the club. If it is not of good quality and they have issues you are the person who they'll come to to get it sorted. I'm sure you don't want that hassle. Of the gear we purchased from O'Neills last year there was an issue with one hoodie which they replaced without question.

I agree with some of your points and disagree with others.

Is o'neills the best quality gear. Well probably it is, but alot of the other suppliers are right up there.

As for kids needing good quality gear. Thats where i call BS. I find that kids grow out of the stuff much faster than they will wear them out. We've had PFS Sports, Gaelic Gear and Bermuda gear and all of it is not quite as high a quality as O'Neills but close enough. And all of it is alot cheeper than O'Neills.

Now this is just my opinion YMMV.

So to the OP i'd say investigate the other options before ordering and see what you think.

Regards
    Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭jm99

I agree with the previous post. O'Neills is excellant quality.

Our club shop sells hoodies, jackets and wet gear from them and i think thier gear looks good too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

My club uses O'Neills and those prices are the same we pay.

O'Neills are pricey but the stuff is good quality and does last.

Ya, whatever you get from O'Neills will last, something that cannot be said for other companies which supply gear. How often do you see a jersey that might be ten years or more worn to a game that was made by O'Neills and it would be in perfect condition and how often do you see a jersey from another one of the companies that might be less than a year old and it looks about 20 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭dasium

Thanks for the reply...

I would be coming from the exact same position... small club... only want in the region of 60/70 but willing to incur the risk of buying maybe 30 to keep for online sales or sale through local shops...

We have previously used other brands and have had the exact same issue re quality.... it would be our intention to heavily subsidise cost for parents ...just balked at the initial cost... hope to offer at half the price, sponsorship and other finance to cover balance...is that fair?

Did your club deal directly with an O'Neills rep or go through a shop..?

• Advertisement

thanks for all the replies... does anyone know ball park what the other companies hoodies cost.... ? I thought the quote from O'Neills was steepish considering one still has to pay for logo's /crest... and volume didn't seem to be factored in....

We dealt directly with O'Neills. The only way to do it IMO.

Here's prices I found on the web for a company called Malley sports. Couldn't tell you anything about the quality. All prices include VAT.

Gear Bags: Customized kit bag with club crest embroidered – small size 22.87
    Gear Bags: Customized kit bag with club crest embroidered – large size 28.92
    T-Shirt: Customized t-shirt in club colours with club crest embroidered 18.03
    Training Top: Customized long sleeved t-shirt in club colours with club crest embroidered 19.24
    Polo-shirts: Customized club polo shirts with club crest embroidered 21.66
    Tracksuit Bottoms: Customized tracksuit bottoms with club crest embroidered 25.29
    Rugby shirts: Customized rugby styled polyester club polo shirts with club crest embroidered 27.71
    Hoodies: Customized hooded sweatshirts with club crest embroidered 32.55
    Tracksuit Tops: Customized club tracksuit tops with club crest embroidered 33.76
    Rain Jackets: Customized rain jacket with club crest embroidered 34.97
    V Neck Windcheaters: Customized windcheaters with club crest embroidered 34.97
    Half zip / Full zip Windcheaters: Customized windcheaters with club crest embroidered 34.97
    Softshell Jackets – Customized jacket with club crest embroidered 42.23
    Heavy Jackets: Customized waterproof, ultra warm, fleece-lined jacket with club crest embroidered 45.86
    Tracksuits: Customized club tracksuits with club crest embroidered 59.17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Conditioned

I bought hoodies, tracksuits and bags from O'Neills last year.

We bought alot and there was no discount and considering the amount we bought and the current economic climate I thought there might be and was dissapointed there wasn't.

I didn't like the quality of the hoodies. They were very baggy and the only people I saw them look well on were people carrying weight!!

I seen the O'Malley sports stuff on the net and we are about to get more stuff this year and I hope to get a Rep out so we can have a look at the stuff. It'd be great to see some genuine competition because while I love there gear I'm dissapointed that theres no genuine competition out there. Azzuri and Gaelic Gear have been there biggest challengers but have made no real impact and seem to have fallen back after there initial burst.

I bought hoodies, tracksuits and bags from O'Neills last year.

We bought alot and there was no discount and considering the amount we bought and the current economic climate I thought there might be and was dissapointed there wasn't.

I didn't like the quality of the hoodies. They were very baggy and the only people I saw them look well on were people carrying weight!!

I seen the O'Malley sports stuff on the net and we are about to get more stuff this year and I hope to get a Rep out so we can have a look at the stuff. It'd be great to see some genuine competition because while I love there gear I'm dissapointed that theres no genuine competition out there. Azzuri and Gaelic Gear have been there biggest challengers but have made no real impact and seem to have fallen back after there initial burst.

I would love to hear how you got on with the O'Malley rep and how you judge their gear quality... I have asked for a quote from McKeever also but so far only O'Neills have got back to me... we got McKeever branded tackle bags and the yellow floodlight ball and both were really good quality and priced well... they are based up north, so a combination of currency exchange and ability to claim back VAT made them really cheap... their balls have been used in Ulster championship matches and railway cup games.. are equal to O'Neills All Ireland series thus far.... we'll see how they wear... prompt day after delivery too considering I'm based west of the Shannon..
    No idea how their gear stacks up quality wise though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Conditioned

We bought 6 balls from McKeever last year too. The price was good though we didn't claim back any vat, how do you do that?

Some of the balls actually lost their shape and you could hear the bladder moving round in them. I spoke to a fella from McKeever and he said to send bback the balls we had a problem with. Unfortunatly by that stage we'd lost most of them at matches and one got burst.

As somebody said above regarding the kids gear, I wouldn't necessarily bother getting O'Neills if it was the most expensive. Depending on the age of the player he or she will probably grow out of it before it wears out.

• Advertisement

we haven't had any issues thus far with the balls... have them 2/3 month... fingers crossed...

McKeever is predominately sold through the gaa store.com based in Armagh if memory served... I rang as I needed a number of things for the club and wanted a discount.. got 10% of McKeever branded stuff.. got tackle bags and a half dozen balls by them... during the conversation they asked if I had a VAT no. or someone in the club did.. I got one from a major benefactor of club and saved a further 17%.. the invoice was sent to him... was a huge saving..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

why not just get plain hoodies? and polos. like Gildan ones and get two or three embroideries put on them to add some colour? club crest and get two sponsors onto the gear? or the club name on one breast.

the kids will grow out of them just as quick as the O'Neills stuff and they will be cheaper to buy. quality isn't bad either

gear bags should be the same for everyone in the club. with one sponsors logo on all bags

why not just get plain hoodies? and polos. like Gildan ones and get two or three embroideries put on them to add some colour? club crest and get two sponsors onto the gear? or the club name on one breast.

the kids will grow out of them just as quick as the O'Neills stuff and they will be cheaper to buy. quality isn't bad either

gear bags should be the same for everyone in the club. with one sponsors logo on all bags

was given a UK site that can do this kingflw.com... def the cheapest option of all....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dynamite74

we do kids polos embroidered at 15 and fleeces from 18. pm for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

my gaelic team rosmini recently got 30 fleece training tops for 16euro each for the players with just the logo on it and it looks very well. have training tonight so will ask your man who dealt with them if ur intrested

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

villains77 wrote: »
    my gaelic team rosmini recently got 30 fleece training tops for 16euro each for the players with just the logo on it and it looks very well. have training tonight so will ask your man who dealt with them if ur intrested

Yeah post back here. That sounds good.

Unlike Frank Spencer we are a poor club but our G.P.O got t-shirts for our junior Academy and I think the cost €3-€4 each. They are grand for the kids. Most of the bigger kids have the O'Neills polo shirts and they are grand. We subsidise everything in our shop from 10% to 60%

I think the quality has gone out of a lot of O'Neills gear, the footballs are a joke, all our club shop stocks is O'Neills. I dont like their hoodies, but thats just an opinion. Agree with earlier poster I would not be spending big money on stuff for kids they will grow out of.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I'm dealing with Malley Sports at the moment, getting a club hoodie with the club crest and players name plus a free training t-shirt for €37. Should be delivered this week, so I can post back regarding quality

We bought a 6 McKeever training balls recently for the club, €18, better value than the O Neills footballs, and much closer to the game ball than the other training footballs we had. They do need to be kicked around before they are the true shape after inflating them, found that they have a dodgy bounce at the start but are okay after using them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I found malley sports to be of terrible quality to be honest. they just felt cheap and the zips on the bags we're gone after a couple of weeks. Barry Cahill is their rep iirc.

I find that kc sport and leisure based in westmeath are very competitive and have never missed a dead line. They do all sorts of brands from expensive to cheap.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I've had huge delays with Malley Sport, getting hoodies and tshirt - good price, but the delay is ridiculous tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I've had huge delays with Malley Sport, getting hoodies and tshirt - good price, but the delay is ridiculous tbh!

yeah i heard that from a few people alright.

• Advertisement

How long?

12 weeks, we were told that they would be completed in 6 - I'm sick of getting it from the players, when are they coming. I've been told this week for definite that I'll have them

12 weeks, we were told that they would be completed in 6 - I'm sick of getting it from the players, when are they coming. I've been told this week for definite that I'll have them

Jaysus and I thought O'Neills were a bit slow this year with nearly 4 weeks given that the order took just over a week last year. I was getting a little pressure from people but I'd imagine you're nearly avoiding going down to the club.

And its all the team that I train who are getting the hoodies, I get it twice a week! I've been told they were shipped in Monday and they'll be couriered down to me asap

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Have you checked out Azzurri in Waterford City, only ever heard good reports.

Got the hoodies this morning, and I'm impressed by them. Adult hoodie (embroidered crest and player name on sleeve) plus a round neck training tshirt for €37. I'll upload pictures later on if someone wants to see them

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Got the hoodies this morning, and I'm impressed by them. Adult hoodie (embroidered crest and player name on sleeve) plus a round neck training tshirt for €37. I'll upload pictures later on if someone wants to see them

Yeah do, I'd be interested to see how they look with Club crest etc.

Picture quality isn't great tbh, couldn't find batteries for my actual camera when I was doing them earlier today, so the phone had to do! The tshirt comes in one design, the hoodies come in six different ones. Impressed by them, and the girls are as well. Sizes are very good - some of the girls ordered ones from school and I think it was a medium they ordered, it was as big as a normal XL jersey, nearly down on the knees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭mattock

Our club has dealt with 5 different companies and they were all dirt compared to oneills, granted oneills are dearer, but there products hold there shape for ever and dont look like rags after 20 washes.

In 2008 we spent over €7k with oneills only on leisure wear, once the first order was out everyone wanted them, the downside they never even give us a ball or something for a raffle, the rep is on commision and he is a tight git.

• Advertisement
Advertisement