Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win tickets to this weekend's Stranger Than Fiction Festival at Dublin's IFI

Options
  • 15-04-2010 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

2010c.jpg

We've got tickets to be won to three great films at this year's Stranger Than Fiction festival at the Irish Film Institute.

The Festival opens tonight with Irish film Pyjama Girls, directed by Maya Derrington.
    Pyjama Girls follows the lives of a group of girls who wear, you guessed it, pyjamas, all day, every day. Focusing principally on teenagers Lauren and Tara, the film examines the intense micro-dramas and emotional complexities of their lives in the close-knit community of Dublin’s inner city flats.
    and moves on over the next 3 days to over 25 events including documentaries on

We have a pair of tickets to give away to three of the films:

Good Hair - 14:15 on Saturday 17 April.
    Good%20Hair%20low%20res%282%29.jpg

An exposé of comic proportions that only Chris Rock could pull off, Good Hair visits beauty salons and hairstyling battles, scientific laboratories and Indian temples to explore the way hairstyles impact the activities, pocketbooks, sexual relationships, and self-esteem of the black community.

Director Jeff Stilson follows Chris Rock on this raucous adventure prompted by Rock’s daughter approaching him and asking, “Daddy, how come I don’t have good hair?”

Haircare professionals, beautyshop and barbershop patrons, as well as celebrities including Ice-T, Nia Long, Raven Symoné, Maya Angelou, Salt ‘n’ Pepa and Reverend Al Sharpton all candidly offer their stories and observations to Rock while he struggles with the task of figuring out how to respond to his daughter’s question. A hugely entertaining and enlightening documentary.

Strange Powers
    (plus Q&A with co-director Kerthy Fix) - 20:30 on Saturday 17 April
    STRANGEPOWERS%20StephinHorn.jpg

A subtitle near the beginning of this wonderful film states that “to some, they’re an iconic band. To most, they’re completely unknown”.

If your knowledge of Stephin Merritt and the Magnetic Fields puts you in the latter camp, this film will serve as a fantastic introduction to one of the most interesting and uniquely talented bands working today.

If you’re already a fan, it’s an absolute must-see. Ten years in the making, Strange Powers looks at the creative process behind Merritt’s music as well as exploring his relationships, placing particular emphasis on his friendship with longtime manager and collaborator Claudia Gonson.

Funny, touching and featuring some great live performances, filmmakers Kerthy Fix and Gail O’Hara have created one of the best music documentaries in recent years.
    The Topp Twins: Untouchable Girls - 20:30 on Sunday 18th April.
    topptwins_02.jpg

The Topp Twins tells the story of two of New Zealand’s most loved and celebrated performers.

A national institution in their homeland, and quite possibly the world’s only yodelling, lesbian, country-and western- singing comedians, Jools and Lynda Topp began their career busking, attracting crowds with their infectious performances.

We explore their lives through a compilation of interviews, performance footage, home videos and newsreel archives which looks at not only their lives as performers but as committed activists and campaigners too.

The film has won awards around the world, including the prestigious People’s Choice documentary award at last year’s Toronto Film Festival. Director Leanne Poolley has excelled in creating an honest, intimate and incredibly entertaining film about two truly remarkable women.

Like to win? Just post below with which film you'd like to see and we'll be in touch tomorrow afternoon (Friday 16th) to confirm who gets to go to the films!

Big thanks to the IFI for the tickets!

You can find out more about the Festival here: http://www.ifi.ie/stf/festival_calendar.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I'd like tickets to "Strange Powers" please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

The Topp Twins: Untouchable Girls please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'd like to win tickets to 'Strange Powers' because I'd be "the luckiest guy on the lower east side"* (well monkstown) if I won.

*magnetic fields fans should know that line.....

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

I would love to see 'Good Hair'. I'm a big fan of Chris Rock.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'd love to see Good Hair to pick up some style tips :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Good Hair tix would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Oooh, "Good Hair" please!

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RickyRaspberry

I'd be the best girlfriend in the world if i won tickets to good hair, my boyfriend loves chris rock! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mishimab

I would like to watch the Top Twins.. Time and day is just perfect for me.. Finger crossed :pp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Would love to see Strange Powers! Looks awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 clivejpk

Good HAir would be great - literally :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

good hair please

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Strange Powers please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Strange Powers looks good (but I would not say no to The Topp Twins)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

strange powers looks super, would love to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

"what a golden age, what a time of right and reason. the consumers king and unhappyness is treason"

would love tickets to see this movie

rgds,

Gollem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Thanks everyone - especially the IFI for the tickets. The winners are:

Phasers - Good Hair
    0012984 - The Topp Twins
    melekalikimaka - Strange Powers

PMs are in your inboxes - hope you enjoy!

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Gah, I never win anything. Well I suppose I won the Lotto during the week, but apart from that, nothing.

Advertisement