Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA Parking at Shannon?

Options
  • 20-03-2010 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

It was just on Sky News that BA have parked 25 aircraft at Shannon for the duration of the strike as there is no space in London. Is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Read that elswhere on another site......assume we will see photos within the day from some spotters at SNN.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Various news outlets have reported this claim from the union.
    However, a poster in Flight Global says not true....
    http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/blogs/contrails/archive/2010/03/20/unite-claim-20-ba-aircraft-parked-at-shannon-as-cabin-crew-strike-begins.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Unite (the union) are claiming there are 20 BA planes parked at Shannon. I'd love to know if this is true or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

hmmm wrote: »
    Unite (the union) are claiming there are 20 BA planes parked at Shannon. I'd love to know if this is true or not.

A SNN native on another site is saying there is not one BA aircraft at SNN today. Apparently the small number of BA machines in storage at Cardiff have been there for months as part of the winter reduction in the BA flying programme.

Would have a made a decent picture all the same...

Sky News were also mentioning earlier that LGW crew are reporting as normal and 50% of LHR crews reported for duty as normal today so it looks like round 1 to Willie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Complete lies- no such aircraft parked up today at Shannon.

• Advertisement

And confirmed as nonsense on the official BA twitter feed now also. It's a poor refelction on journalism in the BBC and Sky when they couldent even bother to fact check with a phone call to SNN or CWL to enquire if an armada of BA aircraft had indeed touched down.
    Claims that we have additional aircraft parked at Shannon and Cardiff are untrue
    The only BA flights at Shannon are en route from LCY- New York and land here to clear customs
    We have less than 50 aircraft parked at our engineering bases at Heathrow
    http://twitter.com/British_Airways

The BA film crew seem to be doing overtime this weekend too!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

hmmm wrote: »
    i sse you have to query the source of the rumour,I would not have believed this if I knew it was from UNITE.

I think unions are a neccesary evil in business but they seem to be very militant. Even worse then SIPTU over here. There are other ways to hurt the company rather than all out strike.

The SNN and CWL nonsense dident escape the attention of a much more relaxed looking Willie Walsh in his latest youtube update today. (1min 30sec in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z329b9yEfGY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

Dacian wrote: »
    i sse you have to query the source of the rumour,I would not have believed this if I knew it was from UNITE.

I think unions are a neccesary evil in business but they seem to be very militant. Even worse then SIPTU over here. There are other ways to hurt the company rather than all out strike.

Surely even the threat of strike is enough to hurt ticket sales for the airline for a while? The unions don't actually have to go and strike to make a fairly big impact.

Advertisement