Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agree and disagree button

Options
  • 16-03-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

Was just thinking instead of having just a thanks button i think it would be also a good idea to have an "agree" and "disagree" button.

especially in the like of forums where there is advice given as in the diy or motors forum.

the like but acts as an agree but when bad information or advice is given there should be a dislike or diagree button.

this would also help cut down on the size of the thread and make such threads easier to read and follow.

Could be interesting in the photography forum where people might not like your picture too :D ( but more for the advice forums especially where there is advice and opinion given)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The good part of a discussion board is so you can explain why you disagree with something :)

Plus you will get trolls abusing the disagree function to no end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

WindSock wrote: »
    The good part of a discussion board is so you can explain why you disagree with something :)

Plus you will get trolls abusing the disagree function to no end.

*clicks I agree button*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

*Clicks disagree button* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

* clicks agree to disagree*

ah but its the same with the like button except you have agree and disagree. and yes i agree that the best part is berating the stupid advice sometimes but sometimes i can not be arsed and i would prefer to show my dislike with a simple click.

facebook and the likes have been campaigning for it. so boards should lead the way!!!

beside maybe its an option the forums should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

But if someone clicked "disagree" on one of your posts would you not be wondering why they didn't agree if they didn't post a reply to it?

Part of Boards is having a discussion on why posters agree or disagree of certain things.

This was discussed before in regard to having a "thumbs down" button and a "thumbs down" was given to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

yeah but people thank posts without commenting. so can people not disagree to a comment witout having to add a comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,694 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think we need a Disagree Button badly.

But all it will do is instead of show up as Anti-Thanks, it will link the user to a Web Page that explains once and for all why we don't have an Anti-Thanks/Disagree system.

edit: that was a joke btw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I disagree, with this idea.

Think it would just cause clutter tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

**shrugs at the thought of youtube comment boards**

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I like the positive-only thanks feature that we have.

If I went to the bother of posting a reply, and for it to get more 'Disagrees' than 'Agrees' (therefore a negative helpfulness), I would be pretty annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Plus it might encourage trolling.

i.e. Trolls might try to get as many ''dislike post'' clicks as possible.

Martron wrote: »
    yeah but people thank posts without commenting. so can people not disagree to a comment witout having to add a comment.
    Why not go the whole hog and remove the reply button altogether and turn boards into a polling group?
    In for a penny in for a pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Can we get the button that does this?

internet+slap.gif

I'll purchase a subscription! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Because we need more love, bothers and sisters, not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Martron wrote: »

I like that people can indicate agreement without cluttering up a thread....my feeling is that it helps discussion flow, bu reducing the number of posts of the type "+1", "What he said", "QFT" and so on.

Conversely, I think indicating disagreement without content would have the opposite effect. It would lead to more people asking "why do you disagree", and possibly posts of a "I don't have to tell you why - the button was there and I'm entitled to use it" nature.

In other words, I see having a thanks / agree button as a way to help discussion, where I'd see having a "disagree" option as a hindrance to same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

No to Disagree Button AND no to Agree button. Let's keep it as a positive thanks.

+1 nothing in life is ever Black and White.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

nothanks.jpg

nothanks.jpg
    Try this one: nothanks.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well there generally isn't a need for "I like your post because..." posts, but when you disagree with someone's post, it usually makes for better discussion if you give your reasons why. A "dislike" button would be like saying "I disagree with you" and leaving it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's the potential for abuse that is the most problematic side of a disagree button. It's not as if you can inundate another user with Thanks as a gesture of spite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You could use the hack that us Admins use when we don't like something, we just hack the url of the thanks button from it saying do=post add thanks, to change it to no thanks, works for us, that's how we get the no thanks working.

Picture_1_3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This looks shopped. I can tell from the lack of commas and from seeing quite a few of shops in my time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

master-of-the-obvious.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Dudess wrote: »
    Well there generally isn't a need for "I like your post because..." posts, but when you disagree with someone's post, it usually makes for better discussion if you give your reasons why. A "dislike" button would be like saying "I disagree with you" and leaving it at that.

I disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Dudess wrote: »

Exactly, and then you would have the user asking the person who disagreed to explain why. So, thread gets dragged off topic.

I've never seen anyone ask why their post was thanked.

I've never seen anyone ask why their post was thanked.
    You havent? Ive seen entire threads dedicated to the motives behind thanking someone's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Overheal wrote: »
    You havent? Ive seen entire threads dedicated to the motives behind thanking someone's post.

You misunderstood me Overheal.

So to be clear.
    I've never seen a thread dragged off topic by someone asking why their post was thanked.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

This looks shopped. I can tell from the lack of commas and from seeing quite a few of shops in my time
    Actually, no image manipulation program was used for that post. That image is a screenshot.

As for why there are no commas, well, obviously Admins don't need commas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I disagree with you.
    Why? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I just came to this forum to request this.

Advertisement