Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glendalough Sunrise catcher

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

looks like u had a great time! ive been following the thread and looking forward to seeing your photos cos it looked like it was going to be a beautiful day. i was nearly going to join you on my first photo outing, but hey next time maybe.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

DK32 wrote: »

More:

B9668E6F01064DDBBBEE0ED8B93BB590-800.jpg

Love this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Agree, Dan. No matter how frightening the pain and being on your own in the dark at the lake was. Your pictures are very good and none of us have something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

alexlyons wrote: »
    Does the camera do the bracketing automatically?

Yes Alex. Most have the feature built into them. I tend to use the auto feature more but in some cases I use the manual feature and exposure the entire range from -4 up to +4 it really depends on the image.

I have a tutorial I made a couple of years ago for a photo club in work. I must update it and stick it on my blog. HDR can work really well and enhance an image or it can look ridiculous or cartooney as I've heard it called. It really depends on how much tone mapping you apply and weather you want the image to look real, painted or simply other worldly.
    One last thing, where was that taken in relation to the upper lake where we met you when we came down?

From where we were standing at the lake, this was taken by turning my tripod around 180 degrees. Where the building is in the picture is just beside where we started the climb up to the Spinc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

My last image from Glendalough for now (I was saving it for picture of the day, so...). How did I do on reflection? I'm not happy with how the foreground blends with the background:

20100309000707_069.jpg

• Advertisement

I like this Mark. I think the IR really makes it a different image overall. Adding in more rocks works well too although I think the image would look as good with nothing in the foreground except the reflection.

It's a pity we didn't get a real still day because you would not see the break up of the water towards the back of the lake caused by the waterfall.
    With IR it looks a little bit like land.

The reflection works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Briliant images Dan. I was looking forward to seeing those. That last one is really good Mark. Looks like snow on the mountain. Very impressive.

Right so where's the next meetup gonna be because this nice weather is not gonna be around for much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭monkeyman

I like this Mark. I think the IR really makes it a different image overall. Adding in more rocks works well too although I think the image would look as good with nothing in the foreground except the reflection.

It's a pity we didn't get a real still day because you would not see the break up of the water towards the back of the lake caused by the waterfall.
    With IR it looks a little bit like land.

The reflection works!

What is IR?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Was away since Sunday Morn.....

just spent an hour or two sorting the photos.....

so here folks......

for the first time ever....

what you have all been waiting for.......

a foto of one of the mad men!

A5F10466C5534AA9BB090D76F99C1B84.jpg
    ^this is what happens when you stand by yourself in the peace and quite for 45 mins!

And the only person you can see is FAR away!!! (this is on a 600mm (olympus 300mm))
    3CFB55648F964C5699D3836553AE241D.jpg

• Advertisement

Looking one way...... not many great ones... am currently trying to blend to exposures together.

91C3D9AF015C42DABD471A2A04CB14D6.jpg

C9C6ABCF7D9D4B6C9497C025CAB9921A.jpg

The other direction.... as I heard one photographer say before "always look behind you"!

07FB5170415647C8909E03CD4032A01B.jpg

9A1C246F47BD464BAF6C33E6BACF8A1C.jpg

A38E2DF808CB4876942A0EC75410AB2D.jpg

2541FDBF089C46D682240AE369BD3974.jpg

42B61C9137A64B1BB205B9728A850A2D.jpg

F94D230DCF75430DBD7552574522EB38.jpg

6693B21B93274F2EA4EF04B3A861248F.jpg

45F8B365216840ACA21B71DB4C3C9D36.jpg

Monastic Village!

8D79954CBFCA44A2A8C443E2BACD0379.jpg

7377CAFB4D524C56B3CB6AAFE4ABD091.jpg

Then later I went to do the other angle......

3BDBBE41F3434F57889E6FB298CDDE12.jpg

9C2D1D68BAC44B7EA51D6E9A99274EE2.jpg

And that is all....

Can I say thanks to all who attended, I thought it was a good outing and look forward to the next one..... SO Where to next?

can I say thanks to all who attended, I thought it was a good outing and look forward to the next one..... SO Where to next?
    How about Killiney hill early some morning.

Is that far? Does it require much walking.... don't think my calves like the idea of a repeat of Sunday..... they are still hurting me!
    And no I'm not the grumpy old man!

Is that far? Does it require much walking.... don't think my calves like the idea of a repeat of Sunday..... they are still hurting me!
    And no I'm not the grumpy old man!
    Its just over Dalkey overlooking Dublin Bay and the coast along Killiney to Bray.A great place to see sunrise. Leave the calves at home and bring a horse :eek:

Killiney hill is a nice spot for Sunrise's. would deffo be up for that.
    Just back from Three Rock & Ticknock forest. Was a good steep walk up but thankfully not a set of steps in sight :D Swingking joined me at short notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Yes Alex. Most have the feature built into them. I tend to use the auto feature more but in some cases I use the manual feature and exposure the entire range from -4 up to +4 it really depends on the image.

I have a tutorial I made a couple of years ago for a photo club in work. I must update it and stick it on my blog. HDR can work really well and enhance an image or it can look ridiculous or cartooney as I've heard it called. It really depends on how much tone mapping you apply and weather you want the image to look real, painted or simply other worldly.

From where we were standing at the lake, this was taken by turning my tripod around 180 degrees. Where the building is in the picture is just beside where we started the climb up to the Spinc

Thanks Dan, really appreciate the help!
    swingking wrote: »
    Briliant images Dan. I was looking forward to seeing those. That last one is really good Mark. Looks like snow on the mountain. Very impressive.

Right so where's the next meetup gonna be because this nice weather is not gonna be around for much longer

Like the sound of another meetup! Killiney Hill is an easy walk, up to the castle is literally 5 minutes, some great views!

• Advertisement

Killiney Hill is an easy walk, ...

Well, depends on the Route. I usually walk from Sandycove and get the steps from Vico Road. But by the sounds of it I won't find too many to join me there. But yes, from the car park it's easy enough and no hills to block the sunrise. Definitely up for this. And as it's closer to town and less to walk we could meet later than 5am:)

One of the next sundays? (Even though I'm still incredibly tired from the lack of sleep...jayz, I'm getting old!!! - not grumpy;))

The other direction.... as I heard one photographer say before "always look behind you"!

I really like the first one. Probably my favourite of yours. But your selfportrait made me really smile. Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

xia wrote: »
    Well, depends on the Route. I usually walk from Sandycove and get the steps from Vico Road. But by the sounds of it I won't find too many to join me there. But yes, from the car park it's easy enough and no hills to block the sunrise. Definitely up for this. And as it's closer to town and less to walk we could meet later than 5am:)

One of the next sundays? (Even though I'm still incredibly tired from the lack of sleep...jayz, I'm getting old!!! - not grumpy;))

The steps from the vico are long enough so you'd be right in assuming not many would join you I would assume!

If we started in the car park and headed up the left hand side it really is very short. If the car park isn't open that early, the road leading up is probably longer than the walk up the hill but still only about 15 minutes in all!! hopefully heading up there tomorrow for a time lapse!

Shot of Dan in Three Rock today :D

4421295564_40d83c3d39_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    How about Killiney hill early some morning.

Sounds great, my only issue is transportation at that hour of the morning!

I'm not available until Sat 27th/Sun 28th......... just saying!:)

eightcell wrote: »
    Sounds great, my only issue is transportation at that hour of the morning!
    I am sure we can arrange a lift for you Paul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Some cracking shots, well worth the trek and early morning rise guys. Looking forward to the next one. I have a good few shots going up on the blog in the morning. Here's a sneaky peaky

HDR-Glendalough-Sunrise-Lake-Sunrise-1134.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Glendalough_River-Wicklow-203.jpg

Posted a few more from the on the blog :)

• Advertisement

Finally three of my film results...

4465001251_8f35b5942c.jpg

4465778066_3b73ac6031.jpg

4465778704_1d01fc010c.jpg

those are great film shots Petra.

There's something about film shots that I really love. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it can't be done with digital.

Super results, Xia. Which lens did you use with your Nikon F60.

Thanks Steve and John!

I think part of the charme of film is that you have to wait so long to see the results;) But as well the colours are different, even though I have to admit that I changed them a little on the last one, it was too bright for my liking. But I have to say I love to have both film and digital now. But as well film has a different kind of sharpness I find.

John I used the two from my digital SLR so for #1 and #3 the AF-S Nikkor18-55 and for #2 the 55-200 and therefore the vignette.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Gr1f

Hi all, read this thread with great interest. I was up there 2 weeks ago for the sunset and it was great. Wondered what the sunrise would have been like! I'll keep my eyes peeled on the expedition threads and hopefully tag along sometime soon.

Here's what I managed:
    http://www.markjgriffin.ie/2010/03/31/couple-of-new-shots/

Advertisement