Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dane-Elec SoSpeaky 1TB SATA HDMI Multimedia player and recorder

Options
  • 28-01-2010 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭

Mate just picked up one of these for €129.99 in Easons, of all places.

Seems a good deal for bricks and mortar, compared to the online prices. No mention of it playing .mkv files, but who knows... (spec here on Play.com).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Got one myself. HDMI output too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

good price, but its old tech and it wont play any of the modern file types.

plenty of better options out there for a media player.
    take a look at an asus oplay if you want HD, DTS, etc
    no hard drive, but takes any external drive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

any chance of a review of this?
    i need an all in one box for a mate, media player to play tv programs ect, not dvd rips , this looks ideal

sorry and i meant review from one of you that has bought it, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

Can't really recommend it. I bought one a year ago with 500Mb drive for the same price.
    As said by Subway, it is old tech, it won't play any modern .mkv and h264 or x264 codec.

It's menu is basic, for the rest it's all fne. You can get better now, like the Oplayer if you don't need a HD, or slightly more if you need a disk, like the xstreamer, that will play all.

• Advertisement

not looking to play hd quality, just watchable, tv shows ect.

any other reccomendations for the budget of 130? and would rather an alll in one box.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

brightkane wrote: »
    any chance of a review of this?
    i need an all in one box for a mate, media player to play tv programs ect, not dvd rips , this looks ideal

Not clear on what you're looking for :confused: ?

A media player that doesn't play DVD Rips ? Do you mean something that doesn't play AVIs ?

The WD series of media players play content off an external source (USB stick, hard drive) and output to composite video & HDMI. They (depending on spec.) play AVI (DivX) & MKV, and possibly MP4 too.
    the one I have was bought from amazon for less than €90.

sorry, i am not up in the lingo, i want to play avis, tv programs ect.

i was hoping to get the drive and media player for around 130, and not to have seperates , if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭the_one_&_only

Bought one of these in Reeds before xmas for a relative of mine. They are very happy with it but as Subway said they are basic with old technology.

Got this for a mate of mine, seems to be a nice wee unit,

Can anyone suggest an .MKV to Avi file converter? free.. just have 8 clips i need to convert

Web is littered with pay to use ones

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Anyone who's got one of these got any samples of recorded video? Was looking at getting one to start clearing off the contents of my Sky+ box for archiving. Not so bothered about playback features, I can always grab a WD box for that for next to nothing.

Also, which Easons? They had them in Liffey Valley before christmas but haven't seen them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 00dec

i think that they are in almost all easons. i saw them in tralee a few weeks ago and in galway this week... i was in dublin around mid feb and sat them in easons on o'connell st.

just set up the one i got for my mate and starting testing it.

the sound is skipping on almost all files, both mp3 and also video ones.

dan elec, (the manufacture) tells you to upgrade the firmware online yet provides no link for it.
    They have no phone number and only an online form to fill out, but when you hit submit it give an error of page not found, same or registering the product.

i have emailed easons about the problems just now and await to see what they suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Got this for a mate of mine, seems to be a nice wee unit,

Can anyone suggest an .MKV to Avi file converter? free.. just have 8 clips i need to convert

Web is littered with pay to use ones

Cheers

I use FormatFactory - which is pretty good for freeware

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

mkv2vob is pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

just set up the one i got for my mate and starting testing it.

the sound is skipping on almost all files, both mp3 and also video ones.

dan elec, (the manufacture) tells you to upgrade the firmware online yet provides no link for it.
    They have no phone number and only an online form to fill out, but when you hit submit it give an error of page not found, same or registering the product.

i have emailed easons about the problems just now and await to see what they suggest

Here's a link to the latest firmware - http://www.danedigital.com/UserFiles/File/HDD/FW/SO_SPEAKY_PVR/Last_Firmware_So_Speaky_PVRv1.33.zip

Thanks, that firmware seems to be for the so speaky pvr. Not the so speaky hdmi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

So speaky Hdmi - http://www.danedigital.com/UserFiles/File/HDD/FIRMWARE_SO_SPEAKY_HDMI.zip

Incedently there's none of the pvr's left in easons liffey valley or Tallaght, Liffey valley had another brand 1.5Tb player for €180 though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

They seem to come and go, they had them last week in Liffey valley. Reads on Nassau street had them for 129 too on saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sharynfay

ı am lookıng for a new remote for dan elec medıa player ıf anyone knows where ı can get 1

• Advertisement
Advertisement