Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hughes & Hughes bookshop in Dundalk

Options
  • 26-02-2010 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

I was shocked to hear that Hughes & Hughes bookshops have gone into receivership. Does anyone know if they all closed right away. I especially would like to know about the one in Dundalk, as I have a voucher and if I thought it was still open, I'd go tomorrow - did anyone happen to pass it today and see it opened?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

yeah I saw it opened.

its sad to hear that, and should it be true, I really feel for the really nice staff who work there and whom will lose their job. One of the guys who worked there had a show on dundalk fm a long time ago to do with books and movies, and he really knew his movies and books and was a great help as were the other staff who worked there, very friendly people and I cant say I'd spend my money in any other bookshop in town other than that one. not to show any disrespect to the other book shops in town I'm sure my attitude towards hughes and hughes is purely just personal preferance on my part.

Pax Christi
    Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Graceland

Thanks, I'll take a chance tomorrow and go in and get something with my voucher - I'd hate to see it going to waste.
    I agree with you that the staff were really nice, very helpful. I'm sure they must be stunned to be told this news. It's a shame that they have to close such a great bookshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I didnt really want to start another thread but in the same news bulletin i heard that Jack and Jones is also gone into receivership and will be closing. That is two massive shops on Dundalks Main street closing now. The future in Dundalk town centre is certainly bleak.

I went up this morning to Hughes & Hughes but it was closed. I'm disappointed that I couldn't get to use my voucher especially as it was a present from a friend, but obviously this is nothing compared to the people who lost their jobs.

Graceland wrote: »
    I went up this morning to Hughes & Hughes but it was closed. I'm disappointed that I couldn't get to use my voucher especially as it was a present from a friend, but obviously this is nothing compared to the people who lost their jobs.

aw, that's terrible, absolutely shocking, the town is turning into a ghost town.

I wonder what they are gonna do with their veritas section and Christianity section, I'd buy their books in bulk for a reasonable price :D

again, back to the sorrow of losing one of the towns last great bookshops.:(

well, I will have to pray harder for the town, that it gets back on its feet again soon.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Hughes and Hughes is my favourite place in this town. I'm genuinely devastated that it's going. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Hughes and Hughes will be a big loss to the town centre, I can't believe it:(. I took my wee fella in every Friday for a browse around. A pleasure of a shop to walk into, the lovely coffee aroma, helpful friendly staff and great selection of books. I too have a voucher €30:( and so has my mother. Easons isn't a patch on it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Is it closed already? I didn't hear anything about that!

That's really sad - Easons is pure crap when you compare it to Hughes and Hughes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Sarge wrote: »
    I didnt really want to start another thread but in the same news bulletin i heard that Jack and Jones is also gone into receivership and will be closing. That is two massive shops on Dundalks Main street closing now. The future in Dundalk town centre is certainly bleak.

Jack & Jones in dundalk is not closing, their Drogheda one is though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

well, I will have to pray harder for the town, that it gets back on its feet again soon.
    Thanks.
    Ann22 wrote: »
    Hughes and Hughes will be a big loss to the town centre, I can't believe it:(. I took my wee fella in every Friday for a browse around. A pleasure of a shop to walk into, the lovely coffee aroma, helpful friendly staff and great selection of books. I too have a voucher €30:( and so has my mother. Easons isn't a patch on it.

Was in it for the first time in ages, even though I usually hate the smell of coffee it was really nice in there. :pac:
    TBH it can't be that much of a surprise to see bookshops struggling, as I said to the person I was there with, it was like we were looking at a catalogue and if we were buying anything it would be from Amazon for 20-30% less.
    Gonna be a while til the town can compete in any way with the North alas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Poke

I can't believe H&H Dundalk is closed. This was a main retailer in Dundalk & the staff where the best in the country. Does anyone else know any other shop that you can go into and all the staff remember you name? Nothing was ever a problem for those guys. Even in recent months you could see that they were under pressure with less and less staff on the management ensured a very upbeat atmosphere. Their range has suffered in recent months - really since late 2008 the range hasn't been what it use to be but I never once was let down but the service. The staff always ordered in what I was looking for or recommended an equally good read. I am hoping that a buyer can be found for this store. It will be a massive loss to the town if not. We want to enjoy a coffee on a saturday morning and chat to the booksellers once again!

My cat has just got wind of the news:

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I don't want to start another thread as I live in Dublin and i'm also devastated about another good bookshop chain closing. Borders in Blanchardstown closed last year also. I'm not mad about Easons, a bit expensive. I guess like all of you I'm guilty of shopping from Amazon, they are cheaper and free delivery. I always seem to order these obscure interest books that you just can't pick up in the bookstores, and I've found Amazon very efficient lately. Although it's nice to be able to browse in a bookstore, have a coffee etc. I hope all the other bookstores like Chapters in Parnell St. and Waterstones can hang on in there.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Speaking of Easons...
    Easons takes over airport shops

Easons has taken over the bookshops in Dublin and Cork airports run by Hughes & Hughes, which went into receivership last week.
    The taking over of the licence to operate the outlets will occur tomorrow, Easons said in a statement. It said the move would result in the “saving” of “up to” 120 jobs.
    David Carson of Deloitte was appointed receiver to Hughes & Hughes last week by Ulster Bank.
    The bookshop chain employed more than 200 people in its high street and airport bookshops, and had been in existence for 26 years.
    The company cited an unwillingness on the part of landlords, including the Dublin Airport Authority, to reduce rent levels, as being among the factors that led to its difficulties.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0304/breaking72.html

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Sorry for digging this up but Hughes and Hughes reopened this morning under new management.
    Did not get in yet to see if its as before but surely good news anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Is it back open in the same location???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

gernon wrote: »
    Sorry for digging this up but Hughes and Hughes reopened this morning under new management.
    Did not get in yet to see if its as before but surely good news anyway.

That is FANTASTIC IF TRUE

Yes it is true as I was in this morning. Great to see them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Thats great... they were sorely missed... much better than that stationary shop masquerading as a book shop! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

so what - buy an e reader;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

blingrhino wrote: »
    so what - buy an e reader;)

That really helps the discussion.

Anyway, brilliant to have a decent book shop back in town. Eason's is a newsagents and stationers who seem to keep a few book.

I just hope Hughes & Hughes get the trade and encouragment to remain open.

I've heard it pronounced "Hughes and Hughes" "Que-iss & Que-iss" " Hughes & Que-iss" this week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Seems like Hughes and Hughes are closing again. Closing Down sale on at the moment. Think the sign said that they're finsihing up on the 30th August. Shame the new management couldn't make a go of it.

Pighead wrote: »
    Seems like Hughes and Hughes are closing again. Closing Down sale on at the moment. Think the sign said that they're finsihing up on the 30th August. Shame the new management couldn't make a go of it.

Is it all the branches that are closing down or just the Dundalk one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Graceland wrote: »
    Is it all the branches that are closing down or just the Dundalk one?
    I'd imagine it's just the Dundalk one for now. Tough time generally for bookshops though so wouldn't be overly surprising if others follow suit in the near future.

disappointing news, but they were really quiet since re-opening, the street didnt suit either and amazon killing bricks and mortar shops on price and add in the kindle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They changed the layout and selection of books and it never really worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

It's a terrible shame when any bookshop closes, anywhere.

However, it has to be said that Hughes & Hughes have simply priced themselves out of the book market in this country. They are just too expensive compared to stores like Eason's and Waterstone's.

They're not on same planet compared to Amazon and Bookdespository.com.

Yes, people will always try and support local businesses, but only for so long. At some point human nature kicks in and one thinks "Hell, I can get this for half the price on Amazon". I've done it many times. We all have.

Sad to see this store go but it was only a matter of time.

This Saturday is their last day, everything is at least 50% off RRP, some 70%, still a bit of stock left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Poke

I think Crackity jones is very wrong the comments above. Any book I ever purchased or ordered in the shop was cheaper that Eason's. Eason's seem to sell a few books every week cheaper than their competition but the majority of books where cheaper in Hughes & Hughes. The staff in Hughes & Hughes where excellent so friendly everytime I went in. I do think it wasn't the same with out the coffeeshop but the road works seems to have killed the whole street. It's a very sad time for Dundalk as it has lost too many retailers in recent years. There is no support for any business from locals and we have a tough road ahead of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Poke wrote: »
    I think Crackity jones is very wrong the comments above. Any book I ever purchased or ordered in the shop was cheaper that Eason's. Eason's seem to sell a few books every week cheaper than their competition but the majority of books where cheaper in Hughes & Hughes. The staff in Hughes & Hughes where excellent so friendly everytime I went in. I do think it wasn't the same with out the coffeeshop but the road works seems to have killed the whole street. It's a very sad time for Dundalk as it has lost too many retailers in recent years. There is no support for any business from locals and we have a tough road ahead of us.

I would think that the real competition for book shops these days is online stores.

If I ever go to a book shop, I generally laugh at the price and then go home and order it online for about half the price.

I can shop around online for the best price, from the comfort of my couch.

I did buy a lot of books in Hughes and Hughes when they were closing down, but that's because I felt the prices were actually competitive then.

Advertisement