Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB limiting overseas withdrawls to €250 Per day

Options
  • 02-02-2010 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

It has come to my attention that AIB have now started limiting overseas withdrawls to €250 Per day.

This is a blanket ban across all ATM accounts and I am told it is to combat fraud

This may not affect most people - but for me it is a disgrace, especially as there was no notice given

€250 goes nowhere these days and for the AIB to put a blanket ban like this is completely unnaccceptable.

I was recently on holidays and was not able to pay for my pre-booked (but not pre-paid) accomodation. Naturally this was very embarrassing. It also left me short on money for entertainment for 3 days whilst i withdrew to my limit each day to pay for the accom

It is my money and I should be allowed to withdraw the same amount (€400 per day) from my account whenever and where ever i please

Have spent the best part of 2 hours on the phone to representatives of my branch. they have raised it to head office... but head offices reply has basically to say that the cap can not and will not be removed

One staff member even suggested that this was an EU ruling. But when i mentioned a complaint to IFSRA they changed their mind and said it was an internal AIB anti-fraud policy

They also suggested that I use my Credit Card for overseas purchases in future (funnily enough i would have though that Credit card fraud was more likely than ATM fraud!)

Does anybody out there think i have recourse to take this further?
    And if so with whom?

I have already informed the AIB that I will be taking my business elsewhere...

Does anybody know if all other Irish banks are implementing this policy?

Thanks in Advance for any responses!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What???, that can't be right i'd piss through that at morning cocktails..

i'm with Aib as well, they'll be getting a call in the morning..., they never told me about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Hi DM
    Looking forward to hear what the AIB has to say to you tomorrow...

Like I said in my original post €250 per day goes nowhere when you have to pay for accomodation, internal flights, diving or day trips etc

agree €250 a day is nothing...let you know how I get on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Posting to subscribe

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Is that for all countries or just countries that don't have 'chip enabled' ATMs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Toots* wrote: »
    Is that for all countries or just countries that don't have 'chip enabled' ATMs?

Saw a sign in the local branch yesterday, with mentioned new lower limit of ATM Withdraws of €250 in some "non-European" countries, otherwise the normal limit of €600 would apply.

Apparently its for countries that don't have chip enabled ATMs...

Unfortunately there is no way of telling (from the outside) whether the ATM is chip enabled or not!

Yip same story, It depends on the ATM, they just said use it up to 250 per day in the atm but if you need more you can go into a bank and try a withdrawl and they can give you whatever you want but it's at their descration.
    Credit card withdrawls for atm are capped at 650 a day. I've 2 credit cards so in theroy I can withdraw 1550 a day in cash. Should just about get me through.

/it's probably for my own good:rolleyes:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Afaik pretty much anywhere outside the EU dont have chip enabled machines. I think you might still be ok in he US though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Toots* wrote: »
    Afaik pretty much anywhere outside the EU donor have chip enabled machines. I think you might still be ok in he US though.

I think Japan is Chip&Pin...

• Advertisement

I think Japan is Chip&Pin...

If so then normal limits might apply there too, the only thing is you probably won't know until you get there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

was in oz in November. The OH banks with AIB. Could only take out 250 per day. Sang customer service to try get her limit increased but nothing could be done

As it stands i lose ~€5-7 everytime i make a transaction abroad in fees and crap FX rates - so i'm pretty cnvinced it is a way for the banks to make more fees

Does anybody think IFSRA would be bothered by this practise?

geecee wrote: »
    Does anybody think IFSRA would be bothered by this practise?

No they wouldn't. It is a legitimate fraud prevention tactic. A huge amount of cards are cloned and then brought abroad to use. Irish and EU ATMs have two ways of verifying the authenticity of cards, they use the mag strip at the back, and if the mag strip is damaged, or just 'not quite right' it will also check if there is a chip in the card and will read that.

If someone clones a card, it will not have a chip in it, so a lot of the cloned cards won't work in the EU, hence them being brought abroad to countries whose ATMs to not verify the card by chip, and cleaning out the account of the unsuspecting victim.

BOI has a similar system in place, and honestly it has saved millions of Euro in fraud losses. TBH, the banks wouldn't implement this practice if it wasn't beneficial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Master Bates

was in oz in November. The OH banks with AIB. Could only take out 250 per day. Sang customer service to try get her limit increased but nothing could be done

Maybe they just weren't impressed with your voice?

Looks like the AIB have now lovered teh limit to €100 per day

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056190819

This is unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

geecee wrote: »
    It has come to my attention that AIB have now started limiting overseas withdrawls to €250 Per day.

This is a blanket ban across all ATM accounts and I am told it is to combat fraud

This may not affect most people - but for me it is a disgrace, especially as there was no notice given

€250 goes nowhere these days and for the AIB to put a blanket ban like this is completely unnaccceptable.

I was recently on holidays and was not able to pay for my pre-booked (but not pre-paid) accomodation. Naturally this was very embarrassing. It also left me short on money for entertainment for 3 days whilst i withdrew to my limit each day to pay for the accom

It is my money and I should be allowed to withdraw the same amount (€400 per day) from my account whenever and where ever i please

Have spent the best part of 2 hours on the phone to representatives of my branch. they have raised it to head office... but head offices reply has basically to say that the cap can not and will not be removed

One staff member even suggested that this was an EU ruling. But when i mentioned a complaint to IFSRA they changed their mind and said it was an internal AIB anti-fraud policy

They also suggested that I use my Credit Card for overseas purchases in future (funnily enough i would have though that Credit card fraud was more likely than ATM fraud!)

Does anybody out there think i have recourse to take this further?
    And if so with whom?

I have already informed the AIB that I will be taking my business elsewhere...

Does anybody know if all other Irish banks are implementing this policy?

Thanks in Advance for any responses!

It's to do with all the skimming of cards, some countries do not have chip and pin on their machines such as usa I believe. If you card was skimmed and you lost hundreds you be complaining also. There must be no recession with you if your spending €250 a day. you should also have a credit card as a back up, if you move elsewhere how do you that BOI etc wont or dont have a similar limit in place. you have no recourse it's a bank decision just get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Now reduced to €100 :eek:
    By Charlie Weston Personal Finance Editor

Saturday March 05 2011

AIB customers travelling outside the EU will be left with limited access to cash.
    The bank has defended the decision to restrict the amount of money people using an ATM card abroad can withdraw.
    The bank has put a limit as low as €100 a day on foreign withdrawals to stop cards being skimmed -- this is where thieves clone a card when it is used and then empty a bank account of money.
    However, no customers were notified of the change, which came into effect on February 18.
    The bank said the temporary move was aimed at thwarting the activity of criminal gangs who skimmed the debit card details of some of its customers and were using cloned cards at ATMs in the US and South America.
    It said it was not in response to a specific threat but would not say what prompted the move.
    The bank did not say how long the restrictions would be in place.
    AIB accepted that some card holders "may have been inconvenienced" by the changes and admitted that it had failed to communicate the changes to all its customers.
    In a statement, it said: "As a fraud prevention measure and only in relation to countries outside of Europe, AIB has temporarily reduced the daily limit for ATM withdrawals to €100 equivalent."
    The bank said it had published a notice on its website advising customers of this change.
    Customers can still use their Laser cards at point-of-sale machines in countries outside of Europe.
    AIB added: "We do accept and regret that card holders using their debit cards at ATMs travelling to affected countries may have been inconvenienced.
    "However, at all times cardholders were in a position to make point-of-sale transactions and were able to avail of €100 equivalent a day rather than the previous limit of €250."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

In fairness the bank are just trying to protect the customers money here and trying to combat fraud which is a legitimate issue.

It would be more helpful if they listed the countries and what limits apply to which as its a bit vague at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

merciful mother of god €100 per day limit :eek::eek:

how in heck r u meant to get by on that.

i don't have a credit card (for my own good and sanity!) so i can't go that route.

the banks do know that this crappy new limit is going to get their customers screwed cos they are going to take hapes of cash with them instead (as they can't get it out the machine) then could end up mugged r dead r whatever.

it is disgraceful.

i wonder if you go into your bank before you go on your hols and say something like 'i am going to x destination for two weeks between such and such dates' so they expect your card to be there and be used would they up your limit?

probably not scabby bastards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Will_H

hdowney wrote: »
    i wonder if you go into your bank before you go on your hols and say something like 'i am going to x destination for two weeks between such and such dates' so they expect your card to be there and be used would they up your limit?

No they won't. My brother is in Thailand/Vietnam/Laos the last few months with his gf and can't withdraw more than $100 per day plus is charged a very high withdrawal fee. He had gone in to see AIB before going to let them know so his card wouldn't be blocked. When the new limit was introduced he rang AIB about it and they said tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I am concerned that all this guff about non chip and pin machines is a smokescreen, and that other more serious issues are involved.

If someone owed me money and then said I know you have loads of money with me but I can only give you €100, or even €75 a day, I'd be wondering exactly why they couldn't give me my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Is the US chip and pin ?

Wasn't the last time I was there

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Will_H wrote: »
    No they won't. My brother is in Thailand/Vietnam/Laos the last few months with his gf and can't withdraw more than $100 per day plus is charged a very high withdrawal fee. He had gone in to see AIB before going to let them know so his card wouldn't be blocked. When the new limit was introduced he rang AIB about it and they said tough!

Branch can't do anything if its only 100 a day, that change comes from head office and branch have no say over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ms_pink06

Hummina,
    Just got wind of this and rang AIB to see if it can be increased with advance notice.
    No such luck. Due to amount of recent fraudulent activity it is set at €100. Heading to US on Sat and customer service agent in AIB said that it will probably be $100 per day there. Eeek, only advise she could give was to withdraw from credit card instead. Don't fancy facing cash advance fees from credit card when I have money in my current account...not fair really.
    Chip and pin doesn't really exist in USA either I was advised, and I would have to find a chip and pin machine to be able to get out the usual €600.
    Can't be harsh towards the poor staff though, they seem empathetic towards the whole thing, but just can't do anything about it.
    I'll be forced to budget daily expenses so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Will_H

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Branch can't do anything if its only 100 a day, that change comes from head office and branch have no say over it.

Fully appreciate that Rebel. I personally believe this is just another way for the greedy banks to make further revenues for themselves. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

all they say is use your credit card! pah. i don't have one and don't want one. the charges on it. it is MY money. if i have told you i am going somewhere and when i am going i should be allowed to access more than 100 quid. you should have no right to keep me from my money.

seriously though what will they do when people start getting mugged cos they had to take all their cash with them cos the banks we cracking down on the amount you could take out. i can see someone coming back at the banks.

on the 100 withdrawal thingy, does anyone know if you can only withdraw this amount in england or if it is higher?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

hdowney wrote: »
    all they say is use your credit card! pah. i don't have one and don't want one. the charges on it. it is MY money.
    Just on that point - there are no charges if you use a credit card wisely. i.e. if you set up direct debit to pay it all off each month and you don't ever spend more than you have (use it like you would use a laser or atm card).

@ms_pink06, I never have much need for cash in the states as it can all be done via credit card, I'd be hard pressed to spend $200 a week in cash when I'm there. As I've said above, if you can manage your credit card correctly then its absolutely the best way to go in your situation.

In the states, you can pay for a KFC dinner worth $2.50 with a credit card and they don't bat an eyelid.

In my opinion Credit cards are even more dangerous than ATM cards

At least the ATM card needs a PIN number... with a CC they are often taken away for swiping and can so easily be cloned... then all thats needed is a signature!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

So part of their anti fraud campaign is to make you use your card more while abroad? Interesting tactic

Advertisement