Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Aisling - Edenderry

Options
  • 01-02-2010 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Just a quick report on Lough Aisling . Was there on Friday and I have to say it is one of the best I have seen. Fishery with a 7 acre Trout lake and a 4 acre course lake. Got some advice from another forumer on where to fish but weather conditions meant I could only fish the West and North bank.

There is a cabin with blazing fire, TV, Tea & Coffee making Facilities, microwave and toilets. Joe runs the place and he is one of the friendliest guys you could meet, mad for chat.

Cabin & Parking
    4c5a20d5d9.jpg

So I headed over towards the west bank as the wind was coming from NNE direction, there is a sheltered area on the very North bank so I thought I'd start there and work my way down.

View west from the cabin.
    904ee1b0ae.jpg

Heading up the West bank.
    c7f582d8c1.jpg

Was nice and calm at the north bank and 2 other guys just started while I was setting up. Straight away they were in, they seemed to be fishing with a bung suspending buzzers/bloodworms. I got set up and started with a hares ear, caught a tree, then some grass. Wasn't going too well. Moved around the corner as I found the trees too intimidating and couldn't get a decent back cast. The other 2 guys moved around past me, they had 2 fish each already and decided to move on down the bank. One of them confirmed the bloodworm so I switched. Fished the margins for about 5mins and got a delicate little pull, a fabulous plump fish of around the 1lb and I was off the mark, 1st firsh of 2010!

72cce28760.jpg

Watched the other 2 guys pull in another 7/8 fish between them so their methods were really working.
    I had started fishing at 11am and that was all I had until nature called at 12:30pm so I decided to head for the cabin for some tea and warmth.
    Refreshed and warm I headed back out and started on what I thought would be a good imitation of the Pro's setup. Had a booby on the top dropper to act as a strike indicator and put a bloodworm buzzer on the point about 8 feet away. Fished it for about half an hour with no results. The other 2 guys then went for a break so I moved up to where they were catching and switched back to a smaller gold head hares ear, was in straight away with a fish under the 2lb mark that put up an amazing fight.

3d82ab0283.jpg

Fished for another while with the same setup, had 1 pull but no hook ups. Decided to call it a day at 3pm as I wasn't set on fishing the whole day. Went back and chatted to Joe and settled the bill, €15 for 4hrs fishing and headed home. You can fish for 6hrs for €20 and 8 hrs for €25.

With the right setup you will catch loads here, I did see pics of fish in the 8lb, 11lb & 12lb region in the cabin so there are big ones there. The facilities are excellent and it is fairly easy to get to, the last stretch of road to it is a nightmare though, potholes like I've never seen. It's just off the Tullamore to Edenderry road, past Ballyhugh. Will definately be going back over the summer and it is ideal for group outings, of which I will be doing on the 20th Feb with a group of 5/6.

Highly recomend If you are in the midlands area. :D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Nice report. Thx for sharing your good day with us. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

very good report. i would say that by summer time the place would be good. its amazing that so many 'artificial' fisheries have popped up over the last 10 years or so. There is a market for them.They are not for the 'wild fish purist' nevertheless i feel they provide uncomplicated easy fishing for many and that is good for the sport overall.

Well done again, good photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi lads

im an experienced coarse angler getting into fly fishing

i have a nice 3/4 weight 8' rod with a 4 weight floating line
    that i got for the dodder

would i get away with using it on aisling or am i fooling myself
    i have a 9.5foot, 7 weight option but the rod is a real dog!

cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You would be better off using that #7 rod and learning how to place a cast on the water like a feather with it - that's a handy skill in itself.

The thing is that stillwaters have wind and distances that don't arise on small rivers, and a light short outfit is not going to cut it.
    But the #4 will absolutely work up to a point, the balmier the day, the nearer the fish, the better. So bring it along.

But I suggest you bring the heavier outfit too, and you could alternate between them. Maybe you would fish near with the light outfit, then back over the same water fishing far with the heavier one.

hi coolwings

thanks for that....

i only have one reel at the moment unfortunately
    so its messy, i might try with the 4 weigh as its loaded up
    but will bring the 7 line and rod and do a line swap if needed
    (it would only take a few minutes after all)

i should have also asked in the first place....

all my flies are dodder dries and wets
    can i use these or is it all lures and boobys
    (things I know nothing about!!!)

i plan to go tommorrow if possible,
    will i need rush to tackle shop after work
    or will they take klinks, spiders, nymphs, goldheads etc etc

are dries any use or is it all wet

last one.... what sort of leader strenght is appropriate

i have a fair idea how to fish the dodder for pinkeens
    but this commercial water thing is very new

any other tips welcome

many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Hi Fourmations,

Got ure PM, yeah was there on tuesday and had a lovely 4lber on a green olive. The 7 rod is ure best option as while there are a lot of small regular 1-2lb fish in there you never know, there are a few 4-7lb in there that would make crap of ure smaller rod. Fish the pool at the end for some good fun, buzzers and white wulffs hav worked for me also. They will honestly take anything, goldheads and klinks are a good shout. I had a 8lb leader of 4ft down to a 5ft 6lb tippet.

Any more info needed just let me know. :D

Oh and if you meet Andy there he might give you a few flies, absolute gent tbh, some cracking flies he makes.

hi all

thanks for the tips,had a great day
    had 19 trout and one rudd on dry fly on my 3/4 weight kit
    great scraps on that light kit

was really happy to fish the dry
    instead of gaudy lures and buzzers

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

19 trout is good, going well done.

Any size to them?

hi there

the trout were all between 1lb and 3lb
    with most in the 1.5 - 2.5 bracket
    the rudd was about 2oz! :D

cheers

Nice, you might get a bigger one next time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

hi lads

im an experienced coarse angler getting into fly fishing

i have a nice 3/4 weight 8' rod with a 4 weight floating line
    that i got for the dodder

would i get away with using it on aisling or am i fooling myself
    i have a 9.5foot, 7 weight option but the rod is a real dog!

cheers

what kind of hatches was there? what size and type dries ?
    id say the light rod was almost bent in two with a 3lb-er :),
    great fun

hi cj

bear in mind i am fresh to fluff-chucking
    after a long long absense and i was never much good back then

the only recognisable hatch was some sedges later in the day
    (it would have been between 5-7 pm)

i caught on a grey klinkhammer, a black gnat, a griffiths and a bwo
    all 18's except the bwo which was a 16

to be honest i think anything well presented
    would have had takes on the day

i seemed to fare far better than the other guys there on the day
    and i think it was down to lighter tackle and good presentation,
    there was a few guys there all about the huge casting and all that
    whereas I could catch from about 20' from the bank with gentle casts,

i found making 100% sure your leader was sinking quickly
    was the crux of success on the day

i had rejected rises when my leader was sitting on top
    i applied leader sink regularly and twitched the fly to get the leader down

i used 0.20 leader and then 0.15 (about 4.5lb b/s)
    as i i realised i wasnt going to get smashed
    (its pre-stetched mono, pole lines i use, just because i have them already)

great day though, it was great they were rising to dries so freely,
    it really made my day to be able to fish dry with good success
    and yep, my little river rod was doubled up all day,
    i was stripped to the backing three times

all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

good stuff,the small stocked spots seem to always get good sedge hatches,one up my way gets swarms at dusk of them in july/august.

that was a stellar day,not to be forgotten.well done.

also thanks for the info i didnt know they could be so leader shy,much apreciated

When they're on the buzzer you can have GREAT craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Pic of the 4lber I got there last week, cracking fish! Pic doesn't do it the full justice as it had a slab of a belly on it. ;)

9b16fba8bd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Snatchman

Just back from Lough Ashling today 06/11/10. 30 anglers fished today. Mostly competition anglers (inter pros, or past Irish team). Fishing was tough for most, but not for some. There's always some who get the tactic and fly just right. Weather was changeable but mostly cold and wet.
    The highlight of the day was the warm welcome from the hosts Joe and Geraldine. Geraldine put on a fantastic spread and made 30 hungry and cold anglers feel warm and filled their bellies.
    Definitely a "must get back to" but when it's warmer.
    Cat's whisker and dries fished best. Yes, never rule out the dries no matter how cold.
    It's a relatively shallow fishery so more suitable to warmer months.

hi

does it close for the winter?

any advice on fishing it in the colder months?
    i fished it a few times during the summer
    and used dries all the time,
    i dont know much about lures and nymphs

cheers

Advertisement