Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I check for PCMCIA slot?

Options
  • 20-01-2010 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I have a compaq 6735s laptop and want to get a firewire card.
    A requirement is that the laptop has a spare PCMCIA card slot.

I don't think my laptop has any spare card slot but how do I check? Is it difficult to install one of these? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Nost laptops have a PCMCIA slot. It may have a flap over it or a blank card in it. To get the blank card out just push it in and it will pop out.

PCMCIA_Card.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

Nope these are just on the side of the laptop, you slide out the holder and place the card in, you don't have to go opening the laptop up or anything.

Like so :
    B0007XRZ08.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V57334124_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

its a slot on the outside of your laptop on either the left, or the right hand side, be careful though as most laptops manufactured within the last two, three years anyway, have what is called an express54 card slot, which looks similar to a PCMCIA slot. a quick google of your laptop model will be able to tell you though...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭blues2

thanks for the help. I dont think it has one so. Even the USB and other ports seem to be on fixed cards that cant be removed.
    I have checked on the net and under "expandibility" i have not seen anywhere that says spare PCMCIA slot.
    Does this mean I wont be able to get firewire on my compaq 6735s?
    Thanks for the help and sorry for non-technical detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Your computer does not have a PCMCIA card slot. It has an ExpressCard/54 slot. A PCMCIA card is completely incompatible with your model.
    Here are the specs for your model:
    http://tinyurl.com/n8sy6o
    To find compatible cards, do a web search for ExpressCard Firewire Cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭blues2

Deadly, thanks guys. The express slot is even better. Much easier install. Got one on ebay for 10 euro!!

Advertisement