Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

record to DVD from upc digital + hdd

Options
  • 06-01-2010 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Is it possable to record to a seperate HDD DVD recorder from the hard drive of a UPC digital+ set top box ?. The set top box is a THOMSON DCI6221UPC, on the front it says UPC media box DVR there is only one scart output on the back plus audio out. as the hard drive is nearly full I want to transfer some recordings to dvd, will it work if I transfer to a HDD DVDr seperate machine ?
    thanks for any enlightenment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

nevt wrote: »
    Is it possable to record to a seperate HDD DVD recorder from the hard drive of a UPC digital+ set top box ?. The set top box is a THOMSON DCI6221UPC, on the front it says UPC media box DVR there is only one scart output on the back plus audio out. as the hard drive is nearly full I want to transfer some recordings to dvd, will it work if I transfer to a HDD DVDr seperate machine ?
    thanks for any enlightenment

Only option is to get a DVD recorder (or TV capture card for PC) and play and record to the DVD this way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nevt

Yes, But i am getting conflicting info on this. I am willing to buy a HDD DVDr if I know it will work but need confirmation as I don't want to buy hdddvdr otherwise as it will not be used. on a different thread on this site (DATED aug 07) it worked for someone but with the older machine. But someone down in the local pub says it wont work and everything is recorded scrambled. In DID the sales guy says to record to the hard drive on a seperate machine (ie: hdd dvdr) and then record on that machine to its internal dvdr. this to me seems logical and works with the sky+ box but have heard it wont work with UPC box. I'm not sure why, with old VCR you would just place in line to tv feed but does that work with digital? sorry if I go on a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

nevt wrote: »
    But someone down in the local pub says it wont work and everything is recorded scrambled.
    The digital form of the recording on the DVR's hard disk is encrypted, yes, to prevent people taking the disk out and making perfect digital copies of the content (if they could figure out the structure of the file system used, that is). But if you play it back over the SCART connection then it's sent in the clear and you can record that output on anything capable of recording from it's SCART input.
    In DID the sales guy says to record to the hard drive on a seperate machine (ie: hdd dvdr) and then record on that machine to its internal dvdr.
    That may depend on the model. I'd have thought you could probably record straight to DVDR if you wanted, but recording to the hard disk first might offer advantages including the possility to edit out any extraneous bits from the start and end, or even editing out ads before committing to DVDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

You can of course record from UPC DVR to a DVD/HDD player. The image will not be blocked or scrambled unles recording from a PPV or protected channel.

You'll need to connect your UPC box to AUX IN on the DVD, then AUX OUT to your TV - obviously 2 SCARTs required. To watch a Digital channel you'll need to have your DVD on and tuned to the AV channel number your UPC box is "playing" on - likewise your TV and the AV channel the DVD player is on.

To transfer a UPC DVR-recorded program you'll need to play it manually and record is as though you were watching it "live". If you browse the UPC menus or change settings etc while recording these will be recorded also so take care to resist the urge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nevt

thanks a mill guys for help. i'll try

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I set this it up some with a Philips DVD PVR. Worked fine using Scart and the Sliver NTL PVR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 td2000

UPC sell a Digital Value+ Service. It comes with a black set-up box (STB). It has one scart and one RF sockets. There is no manual for this particular STB. My TV has one scart and one RF socket. My DVD Recorder (DVDR) has two of each. How do I connect my DVDR so as to be able to record all the additional channels I receive on the STB. The older UPC (NTL) box has two scart sockets. I have tried every which way I could think of. Has anyone done this - with this box? Assistance much appreciated. Many thanks.

The HD+ box also only has one Scart I was wondering how to set that up also with a DVDRW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

I tried to do this for 6 months and eventually gave up.
    If you figure this out please do let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

BostonB wrote: »
    The HD+ box also only has one Scart I was wondering how to set that up also with a DVDRW.

Scart out from UPC box to AV in on HDD DVD recorder. This should record it in real time onto the Hard Disk of the DVD recorder. Then you can dub it from the Hard Drive onto a DVD-R.

• Advertisement

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Scart out from UPC box to AV in on HDD DVD recorder. This should record it in real time onto the Hard Disk of the DVD recorder. Then you can dub it from the Hard Drive onto a DVD-R.

Doesn't that disable the HDMI though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jetuohy

I also want to copy some recordings to DVD - before I take up UPC offer of an upgrade (which means a new set-top box. They say they can't copy or transfer the recordings to a new box)
    My box is Thomson Model = DC 162 UPC with 2 Scart points
    My DVD recorder is a TEVION also with 2 Scart points

How can I best try to copy from Box to DVD Player?
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jetuohy wrote: »
    I also want to copy some recordings to DVD - before I take up UPC offer of an upgrade (which means a new set-top box. They say they can't copy or transfer the recordings to a new box)
    My box is Thomson Model = DC 162 UPC with 2 Scart points
    My DVD recorder is a TEVION also with 2 Scart points

How can I best try to copy from Box to DVD Player?
    Joe

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the only option is to connect the UPC box to the DVD recorder via SCART, set the DVD to record off the SCART, and "play" the programs you want to "save". So if you have 50hrs of Programs to record, it will take at least 50 hrs.

There is no other option...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jetuohy

Thanks for that. I'll try it at Christmas time .

Advertisement