Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leixlip 5k Road Race - Sat 8th May (11am)

Options
  • 16-12-2009 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Just a bit of advance notice of this year's Leixlip 5k road race to put into your 2010 calendar. The course will be the same as last year (A jones counter measured and certified 5k route!) Entry is open to runners of all ability and the cost of entry will be the same as last year at €10. More detail and online booking will follow, but for now here is some of the feedback from last year’s Board’s thread on the event (here)

“I’m delighted I chose this as my first race. Can’t wait to do my second one”

“A big thank you to for a well orgainsed race”

“Well done on the event. The relaxed, friendly yet efficient organisation is something we hill runners are used to and appreciate.”

“Great course, and great day out. Very good and honest organisation, no getting ripped off or anything like that.”

“This one ticked lots of the boxes for me. Dressing rooms with showers, a race that started on time, Guards involved keeping the traffic at bay and great stewarding”

“Personally I thought this was a fast course”

“That was great! Looking forward to going back next year!”

“it was a fantastic race. Well organised and an enjoyable course.”

“Great race, nice scone afterwards too.”

“Good race, well organised & friendly atmosphere”

And we will of course address the constructive criticism we received regarding the following -

(1) Better marshalling on the final approach path
    (2) Kilometer marking signs, not just road marking
    (3) Better parking (not for runners, but angry parents of footballers who arrived after us)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I will be there aiming for one of my season goals, was a great race this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

my first ever race was this last year. great course - fast and accuarte and well marked. will defo be training for this again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

lookin forward to this one,well organised,nice route,get to finish on a track,its local,get a good quality field and i get the chance to beat my 2 jedi masters......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I would expect to be doing this one again. Was a good race last year, just hope it's not quite as windy next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

I'll be signing and hoping to be more successful in 2010 than I was in 09-
    And that I'll be able to train despite having a little one in the family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

Entries are now open for this race here:

2010_Leixlip_5k_Road_Race_Poster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

That's me signed up!

For details of the exact route and elevation map click here

Leixlip_5k_Route_Map.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Hi Lecheile

How many runners are ye expecting?
    Think I'll have to make an effort to sign up for this one seen as it's near me mam's house:)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

I work near there during the week - is there a team competition involved? Might be fun to enter a work team..

• Advertisement

ladytri wrote: »
    Hi Lecheile

How many runners are ye expecting?
    Think I'll have to make an effort to sign up for this one seen as it's near me mam's house:)

Hi ladytri - there were over 150 took part last year but we expect significantly more than that this year - the weather conspired against us on the morning of the race last year with thunderous rain and wind - anyone who was not committed to running stayed in bed!! It cleared nicely with 30 minutes to spare, but too late for those still tucked up in their beds. Just ask Robinph about the wind - apparently prevented a PB, which I'm assured is on the cards this year ;)

And given how close the race is to your mam's house - why doesn't she run as well???

mrak wrote: »
    I work near there during the week - is there a team competition involved? Might be fun to enter a work team..

Hi mrak - the numbers competing last year did not justify having a separate team competition. If there is demand for a team competition and people let me know, we will put up a suitable prize. We have extended the prizes with more masters' categories this year, but happy to look at teams also, if the numbers are there. see you and you team on the 8th:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The wind was a bit of an effort to fight against last year alright, but without that it's a pretty flat and fast course. I'll be entering after I get back from Rotterdam and will be hoping to knock a good minute off my time from last year and use it as a warm up for the Kildare Half the next day where I'll also be going for a massive PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Great to see a fairly priced event. €10 for a 5km race seems perfect to me. I know there is no t shirt or chip timing but for 5km who cares. Great value at a tenner. I'll def sign up!

There is a plentifull supply of cakes though, so that alone makes the entry worthwhile for me.

lecheile wrote: »

And given how close the race is to your mam's house - why doesn't she run as well???

That'd be a bit of a stretch for the mammy BUT I have conscripted the husband, the brother and the sister in law into doing it so it'll still be a family day out:) It'll be my first run in a LONG time but looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

Hi mrak - the numbers competing last year did not justify having a separate team competition. If there is demand for a team competition and people let me know, we will put up a suitable prize. We have extended the prizes with more masters' categories this year, but happy to look at teams also, if the numbers are there. see you and you team on the 8th:D
    Grand - one to consider anyhow. Wouldn't need to be a prize even - e.g. a box of chocolates, etc. Between hp and intel alone you could get a great fun team competition going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

robinph wrote: »
    There is a plentifull supply of cakes .

Im defo on for this.........do u have to run or can u just turn up a 11:15 and get fed:D

You can certainly turn up at 11:15 and watch me eat cakes.

That'd be a bit of a stretch for the mammy

Bring her along anyway for a cup of tea - we'll give her a ringside seat to view you over the last 500m
    I have conscripted the husband, the brother and the sister in law into doing it so it'll still be a family day out

Well done you - delighted to have you all there.

• Advertisement

mrak wrote: »
    Grand - one to consider anyhow. Wouldn't need to be a prize even - e.g. a box of chocolates, etc. Between hp and intel alone you could get a great fun team competition going.

Hi mrak - I was only talking to one of the guys last night about approaching both HP and Intel about getting the word spread around - so maybe a 5k-Face-Off-Battle-of-the-giants may be a way to achieve that :)

Must put thinking cap on and will get back to you.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Great to see a fairly priced event. €10 for a 5km race seems perfect to me. I know there is no t shirt or chip timing but for 5km who cares. Great value at a tenner. I'll def sign up!

Thanks for the comments Van.Bosch - while it is primarily run as a fund raiser for the club (for much needed funds to pump back into facilities :) ) we are also very aware of making is accessible and perceived as value for money - and there is no reason why both objectives can be achieved.

And just in case you have not noticed - when we say its a €10 entry fee we mean a tenner!! You won't be hit with a charge for online, credit card processing or Ryanair sneaky extra few quid when you go to book. :D

You can certainly turn up at 11:15 and watch me eat cakes.

:confused:

plan for PB in Kildare half the day after and obliterating previous 5k PB to be back eating cakes for 11:15 - can't wait to see that ;)

I now realise that maybe yourself and Ultraman may be motivated by the same thing - FREE FOOD - will have to warn the catering team!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Best of luck with it Lecheile. Good to see a genuine race at a very affordable price organised by an athletic club. It's in the diary!

:confused:

plan for PB in Kildare half the day after and obliterating previous 5k PB to be back eating cakes for 11:15 - can't wait to see that ;)

I now realise that maybe yourself and Ultraman may be motivated by the same thing - FREE FOOD - will have to warn the catering team!!!

Well 15 minutes would be a bit unlikely, but I'm hoping for the low 17's. As for Kildare Half the next day, as long as I complete it I'm virtually guaranteed to be beating my previous PB unless I get lost on the way. Although I've had some discussions with ZuppyLurk as to what my actual PB* for a half is, I'll be aiming for as close to 1:25 as I can get.

The refreshments after the races are very important so knowing they are there may spur people on to faster times to make sure they don't miss out. :D

* Actual time for a half race being 1:53, but 1st half of Dublin'08 was 1:44 and 2nd half was 1:43, and with any luck I'll be beating all of those in Rotterdam. I'd still only consider the actual half race time of 1:53 as a PB until I do another race of the right distance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

BUT I have conscripted the husband, the brother and the sister in law into doing it so it'll still be a family day out:) It'll be my first run in a LONG time but looking forward to it!

i hope ye're hanging around for a few pints, (you young folk might even hit Zinc).

how's the training going down Lough Key way anyway? is the Leixlip 5k record in danger???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Just noticed that this is on the same day as the neices christening; @rse

For anybody unsure whether or not to run this one; I would reccomend it; Grand quick course after the 1st hill and if its windy like last year you may get blown off this hill; But level enough for the rest and well organised
    +1 for this event; pity i cant make it tho

jb-ski wrote: »

how's the training going down Lough Key way anyway? is the Leixlip 5k record in danger???

ehhh....no...no danger of breaking any records! Swimming is about all we're doing round these parts at the moment but reckon 6 weeks of gentle running should get me to at least FINISH the 5km - ye know how I feel about running Jb-ski, it's my achiles heel of triathlon:(

Sure while we're in the area we may as well get a few scopes in..
    where the feck is Zinc?? Does that mean rockafellas is no more:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Zinc the new name for the ho-zone?

I should be running this too, hoping to knock a good 5minutes off last years time... but it is 6 days after a HM that I am hoping to knock 30minutes off :o

• Advertisement

Well 15 minutes would be a bit unlikely, but I'm hoping for the low 17's. As for Kildare Half the next day, as long as I complete it I'm virtually guaranteed to be beating my previous PB

I look forward to seeing you achieve the low 17s PB(?) - I too have a date with a sub 18 5k, so must start training soon :) I'll be going for a trot in the Kildare half if you fancy join me ;)

Advertisement