Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche 911 Info

Options
  • 12-12-2009 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Thinking of buying a 911, late seventies.
    What should I be watching out for ?
    What are pitfalls of ownership of these.
    rough price for clean, rust free examples ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I would say do LOTS of research before you purchase...and look at lots of different cars before buying too!

To get you started ..

911's were galvanised from 1976 onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

DF1 wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a 911, late seventies.
    What should I be watching out for ?
    What are pitfalls of ownership of these.
    rough price for clean, rust free examples ?

First stop is to have a good read through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Check ou the forums at:

www.rennlist.com

There's a wealth of info there.

The wisdom is to avoid the 911S and go for a 911SC which started in 1978. (I think it can lay claim to the most reliable engine ever made?).

Until 1988(?), all 911's used the 914 gearbox which is notoriously delicate. Beware of any crunching gears on a test drive, and they're expensive to fix. The later gearbox is the g50 and is alot more forgiving.

try and get a pre-purchase inspection done by a knowledgable mechanic as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The wisdom is to avoid the 911S and go for a 911SC which started in 1978. (I think it can lay claim to the most reliable engine ever made?).

Until 1988(?), all 911's used the 914 gearbox which is notoriously delicate. Beware of any crunching gears on a test drive, and they're expensive to fix. The later gearbox is the g50 and is alot more forgiving.

What is wisdom :D .... as the above remarks already shows a few pretty obvious misunderstandings:
    Since you don't distinguish between 'pre-73' and 'post-73' (impact bumper) Porsches, any novice is already put on the wrong footing here, in believing that a 911"S" is to be avoided: in fact a PRE-73 911S is one of the most desireable of all Porsches, bar the Carrera RS, and is currently fetching prices in excess of 40k !!! Your remark is clearly originated from the myth that the Post-73 911's with he 2.7 engines are unreliable, which is not really true. Suffice to say, a European 2.7 is as good as any other 911 but the US cars MAY have suffered from overheating due to the obligatory emmission restrictions built in...
    Also, there is no such thing as a 914 gearbox! There is a Porsche 914, but the gearbox you refer to is the 915 gearbox which indeed can have a weak synchro on 2nd and 3rd. Interesting fact is that the 3.0 and 3.3 Porsche Turbo's had a 4 speed box and never came with the 915 5 speed box, because it was deemed too weak for the brute force of the Turbo's.The older Porsches have a 901 box, with the so-called 'dog leg' 1st.

There are loads of stories doing the rouds in what I would class as the typical 'pub story tales' surrounding Porsches and Porsche ownership, some are true, but quite a lot are utter misconceptions. originating from people who have never owned, driven or let alone sat in one, but who believe they know all about them... Feel free to give me a ring sometime and I can help dispelling some of the myth surrounding Porsche ownership and give you some pointers and advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DF1

Thanks for all the replies.
    Ordered a book on e-bay on buyers guide to 911's.
    Have a look through that when it comes too.

• Advertisement

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    What is wisdom :D .... as the above remarks already shows a few pretty obvious misunderstandings:
    Since you don't distinguish between 'pre-73' and 'post-73' (impact bumper) Porsches, any novice is already put on the wrong footing here, in believing that a 911"S" is to be avoided: in fact a PRE-73 911S is one of the most desireable of all Porsches, bar the Carrera RS, and is currently fetching prices in excess of 40k !!! Your remark is clearly originated from the myth that the Post-73 911's with he 2.7 engines are unreliable, which is not really true. Suffice to say, a European 2.7 is as good as any other 911 but the US cars MAY have suffered from overheating due to the obligatory emmission restrictions built in...

Er...

I agree but I dont think anything before 1975 is relevant because the Original poster said "Late seventies".

Sure euro 2.7's may be more reliable than US 2.7's but wouldnt you still recomend the 3.0?

Also, there is no such thing as a 914 gearbox! There is a Porsche 914, but the gearbox you refer to is the 915 gearbox which indeed can have a weak synchro on 2nd and 3rd.

Oops yes. The 915 gearbox is the one which "can" have issues. The later G50 gearbox in the 80's 911's is way more desirable.

There are loads of stories doing the rouds in what I would class as the typical 'pub story tales' surrounding Porsches and Porsche ownership, some are true, but quite a lot are utter misconceptions. originating from people who have never owned, driven or let alone sat in one, but who believe they know all about them... Feel free to give me a ring sometime and I can help dispelling some of the myth surrounding Porsche ownership and give you some pointers and advice...

I'm on my third. I currently own two and they've been my only cars for over ten years. Both over 150k miles and running like new.

But shock horror they're 944's. However I spend a lot of time around porsche people so I fully admit my late-70's 911 knowledge is a tad sketchy. Although I totally stand by saying get a 3.0 over a 2.7...

I'd say the biggest misconception is the "oh but parts are so expensive" cry. Yes, they may be slightly, however the germans who designed these cars made them like tanks, I have never owned a more reliable car. The issues that affect them are pretty much known and documentated so if you keep up the regular maintenence (thats no more than any other car), you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

All I'd say to you is join the Porsche club first and then buy the very best you can afford. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I'd say the biggest misconception is the "oh but parts are so expensive" cry.

Ever had a quote to replace and repair the flaps that control the cabin heating in a 70's 911? It made my eyes water...

If *anyone* goes into classic 911 buying thinking it'll be inexpensive they are in for a shock. Yes the cars were brilliantly engineered and yes if looked after they will do astronomical mileage. But you are still dealing with a high performance car that is over 30 years old. The pre galvanised cars rust like you wouldn't believe (mine was a 77 and I could almost see the rust spreading when I looked at the car). Yes there are large stocks of "pattern" parts simply because of the longevity and popularity of the cars but that doesn't always mean cheap and some parts have to be Porsche and they are steep.

OP I loved my 911, even if it was one of those much derided 2.7's. I would have another one in a heartbeat but you're doing the right thing, the more you learn the better because you do need to go in with your eyes open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...more on this subject, HERE

You haven't mentioned a budget: if you have one, stick to it. If you can't find a good car in that budget - buy something else. Either change model/year, heck, even make, but don't try and shoehorn a 911 into an unrealistic budget. It'll all just end in tears. A good one, in a more appropriate budget, won't see you wrong, really.

But you won't be motoring for free, either..........

Also, what kind of use are you looking for, from it ? And, have you a garage to keep it in ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....forgot to add, and this is where we run into the Irish Dilemma: you find a car you can buy, cheap tax, cheap insurance.......but it's not quite what you want. Maybe a bit too old, or too basic, or.......whatever.

Move up in the years to the one that does float your boat, and even at the right price, you run into the more expensive tax (:mad:), first, but insurance is still reasonable. That's how I ended up in a 968. Or 2 :rolleyes:....anyhoo, I did the 911 thing, and gorgeous and all as it was, here, it didn't do daily short hops very well, I missed the comfort of Power Steering, air-con (ok, call me a Wuss :P )..it was just too old a car (type) for where I was at the time.....(had MX5 and TT at the time as well, which kinda spoiled the party.....)....and it needed a fair bit of tlc 'going forward' as they say (engine), but the tax really, really grated.......:mad: So, I sold it 14 months later, for -6k on what I paid for it, to a good home.

99187.JPG

99191.JPG

However, a chance encounter with someone who'd bought a 944 Turbo cheap opened my eyes to something that ticked more of the 'modern' boxes, but was still a bit special, and started looking. I ended up in a 968 during that search, purely by accident, but it's worked out v.well so far, and I've been quietly won over by the 'waterpumpers' as they're known. I have 2 x kids, and carry everything from shopping to bicycles in them, so they truly are useful. And this is one reason I suck up the tax - did I say :mad: :mad: :mad: already ? - as the car gets well used. I couldn't say the same if it moved once/month, for example........

I've seen this in the flesh, and it's gobsmacking, won the Porsche Club concours, and that says something. Getting rare, too..........

No matter which one you pick, with the right car, there is no 'wrong' Porsche imho.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Absolutly parts are more expensive, but the point I was trying to make earlier was that a 20 year old porsche is not going to be the money pit a 20 year puegeot may be... (assuming you've bought a least ways servicible one.)

You can also figure in the fact that they are (generally?) appreciating, so if you buy one today and keep it in the same condition you could sell it in a few years for more.

The build quality is one of the major attractions to this brand.

galwaytt wrote: »
    No matter which one you pick, with the right car, there is no 'wrong' Porsche imho.

Thats a beautiful 911.

I had a miata for a couple of years, it was a really fun car.

Some very intersting reading there.
    That 912E has me thinking, never thought of going down that road before.
    Will do a bit more research on the 912.
    thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Oops yes. The 915 gearbox is the one which "can" have issues. The later G50 gearbox in the 80's 911's is way more desirable.

correct about the syncro's but remember these boxes are 21yrs old plus now, so jeez expect a rebuild. I got my 915 box rebuilt with new syncro's etc.....the cost involved is really the labour re dropping the engine etc so while your at it, do the clutch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Jeeez that 944 Turbo in Burgundy is stunning ! I'd have it in a heartbeat at that price !

I would just like to advise the OP to consider carefully what he want to use the car for. There is a huge amount of engine oil there to be warmed up, so short trips are gonna wear out that motor sooner than using it for long fast trips.

Also it would be best to get out there right now and see what can be had for the money, take a few test drives, they are quite different to modern cars to drive, you may love it or hate it.

The very first one I drove years ago I hated it, but it wasn't a good one.It put me off and it was some years later when I ventured another drive, in a really good one, which restored my love for them !

Good luck & happy hunting !

Bearcat..........still havent got to see your Turbo yet in the flesh !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

MercMad wrote: »
    Bearcat..........still havent got to see your Turbo yet in the flesh !!!

Breakfast meet weston on the 27th.....otherwise she's in doors until this cold weather snap passes

Go the buyers guide yesterday, it's american based information.
    Funny as I bought it off Amazon. Gives general info to watch for rust etc though which is applicable to euro cars also though.
    Got classic porsche magazine too so plenty of reading over christmas.

Advertisement