Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to plaster around new door?

Options
  • 26-11-2009 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

I got this new door a while ago and it still needs to be plastered around on the inside. there is about a 5.5 cm (~2inch) difference between the wall and the door and I'm not sure what's the best way to do this. I was thinking of putting a wooden frame around the door and then plaster around that, but the woodframe would have to be 5.5cm deep and I'd have to screw that into the PVC frame of the door... My partner then said if (he) slammed the door, would the plaster no start breaking.....

Any ideas?

And also, if I decide not to do this myself, what type of professional would I get? A plasterer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

its still kinda hard to tell from the picture. would it possible to get one that is not so close.

the white that we can see is that the door or the frame.

the plaster should not crack if the door frame does not move.

and tell your partner that slamming doors is not the way to win arguments!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

Yes, sorry, the picture isn't great... I've taken some more, one one each side and one of the top. The door itself is fibreglass, but the frame is PVC. The frame sits in the wall and the gaps have been filled with expandable foam (I think my previous door, which was aluminium, might have had a thicker and bigger frame, as there was not such a difference, the frame and wall was almost flush).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i see better now ( says the blind man)

yeah you can get pvc architrave ( hope that is correct. ) it will mount to your pvc. it wount actually be mounted to the wall so if you could imagine an l shaped peiec of pvc to close the gap then you could mount standard wood to the wall. both would be seperate and would avoid the use of plaster altogether.

i am sure with the new pictures though some of the other lads might have better ideas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Still little hard to see, but you might be able to double slab around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

double slab? What does this mean?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

As it says, use 2 slabs of plasterboard. Just screw one on top of the other,so its double the thickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

There are a few ways to tackle the doorway....

1)

You could use some white deal like 2X1 for example, and fit it to the reveals, so its flush with the wall all round. Then you could use a molded Architrave and pin it over that...
    Paint it in white to match door or wall colour, for a neat finish...

2)

Use slabs as mentioned, and fit strips to the reveals, and use a light gauge angle bead. Plaster to finish....

Option one would be my choice, no waiting for plaster to dry....

Advertisement