Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good set of waterproofs for deershooting

Options
  • 25-11-2009 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi im a new to posting on the sight i normally just read your posts so go easy on me :eek:
    I was looking for info on a good set of waterproofs for deershooting and game.
    Most of my hunting is rough ground so i need a good solid set that has very little noise and i dont want to spend mad money.
    Any info would be great and if it has been discussed before me bad.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Okay if its leggings you talking about then I have had a set of German flecktarn Goretex leggings, a pair of Harikala leggings and a set of wax leggings. By far the best of the 3 was the wax leggings, they're kind of heavy but I didn't sweat as much. They're as tough as leather. They'll go through some fairly tough stuff without ripping, I don't believe that there is anything that is rip proof but the only thing I have seen going through wax leggings are big blackthorn. Barbed wire will always make a hole in whatever fabric.. The goretex leggings is like tissue paper and the Harikala leggings were hot sweaty and the rubbery waterproof coating inside the legs were pulling the pants off me.

Go for the wax leggings.

As for jackets, I don't really wear one just a shooting vest with big pockets and a breathable fleece top. For really dry cold weather with an easterly wind I'ld wear the barbour jacket.

Edit: The wax are the quietest of the 3

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭darrenon

hi deeks
    can you remember how much you paid and where you bought the wax leggings???
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Alchemist2

wax studded chaps...bout 25/30 euro a pair... deeks is spot on with his advice;) money well spent

darrenon wrote: »
    hi deeks
    can you remember how much you paid and where you bought the wax leggings???
    thanks

I paid €50 for them in Waterford too bloody expensive if you ask me but they are good quality. So I'ld say I'll have them a long time. Most good shooting or outdoor shops should have them. They're only worth about €30 but some shop owners don't recognise that there is a recession on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

I've had these for last season and for this season so far.
    http://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Hunting-Boots-and-Clothes/Chaps/Better-LCS-Waterproof-Chaps.html

Have kept my legs bone dry and have not had one thorn and i've been through some tough briars, thistles and gorse with them.

Only problem I had was a wet arse on the first day as my coat was about 2 inches too short :o

I have no connection with lcsupply, just happy with the product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

Thanks for the info lads
    The ones that octopus has look the job as i hate the smell of the wax gear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Octopus wrote: »
    I've had these for last season and for this season so far.
    http://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Hunting-Boots-and-Clothes/Chaps/Better-LCS-Waterproof-Chaps.html

Have kept my legs bone dry and have not had one thorn and i've been through some tough briars, thistles and gorse with them.

Only problem I had was a wet arse on the first day as my coat was about 2 inches too short :o

I have no connection with lcsupply, just happy with the product.
    Looks like that fabric might be very noisy when going through gorse! What did you think of the noise?

Found these they seem to be like the ones I bought and good value at around €30

http://www.lractive.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=41_44&products_id=101

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LOUTHSHOOTER

natdog wrote: »
    Hi im a new to posting on the sight i normally just read your posts so go easy on me :eek:
    I was looking for info on a good set of waterproofs for deershooting and game.
    Most of my hunting is rough ground so i need a good solid set that has very little noise and i dont want to spend mad money.
    Any info would be great and if it has been discussed before me bad.:)
    Have a look here www.msscountry.com It is a mail order company but he is based in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

got 2 pair of wax leggings posted in from england for £15 each plus £4 postage from www.countrywearuk.com/. they arrived within 4 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Get aset of Gore Tex German army Flecktarn waterproofs.Jacket&pants will cost about as much as a Barbour jacket.If you buy new.They will take some abuse and are breathable.Forget wax stuff,I find it a PITA to maintain and look after.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bibio

Just wondering if any of you guys have experience or thoughts on the waterproofness, and quality of the jahti -jakt gear. Loking at that and the Seeland/Harkila gear, but Seeland/Harkile seem very expensive.

Looking for that ideal combination of clothing requirments for every hunter, namely waterproof, durable, and still allowing you not to overheat.

Thanks
    Bibio

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

bibio wrote: »
    Just wondering if any of you guys have experience or thoughts on the waterproofness, and quality of the jahti -jakt gear. Loking at that and the Seeland/Harkila gear, but Seeland/Harkile seem very expensive.

Looking for that ideal combination of clothing requirments for every hunter, namely waterproof, durable, and still allowing you not to overheat.

Thanks
    Bibio

Bibio,

The harkila and seeland are very good. Have the harkila mountain grouse range. Does what it says. keeps out water and does it very well. Try www.johnnorris.co.uk maybe sign up to their mailing list as they do have offers on pants and jackets fairly regular think seeland hampton range on offer at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭zulu_dawn

bibio wrote: »

Thanks
    Bibio

i have the jahti-jakt gear, i think it is a good stuff - got it as a gift for xmas two years ago, see these links, http://www.irishdeersociety.ie/, http://msscountry.com/, i got the 299 euro package in green, my mate got it in camo pattern.

Advertisement