Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

RTE The Clinic - cancelled

• 23-11-2009 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Seems definite now from various sources on Facebook etc that The Clinic has been cancelled by RTE. That was the last ever series.

Personally, I thought it was a landmark programme in Irish tv drama. Some bits worked better than others sure, but overall - the quality of the acting, some truly memorable characters, the look of it and the writing... made it not only one of the best shows to come out of Ireland ever, but one of the best shows of its kind fullstop.

It'll be missed and looked back on with respect and affection.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

always seemed a good programme but have to admit never really watched much of it. seemed that it would depress me to much if i did. had it run its course anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think it suffered from too many changes in the cast. Was a very good show though, I watched the first few series and it was very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not that I ever watched and it may be down to RTE being broke but why can't RTE sustain a drama series?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It seemed to be one of RTE's better productions. Budget cutbacks I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,704 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Watched it a few times. Good programme by all accounts.

Its funny to see it cancelled while Fairly Shítty continues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

My wife watches it and I can confirm for those who hadnt seen it the acting was/is as wooden as pinochio's leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

i enjoyed it - pissed off that a few storylines are left hanging now!! :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

As was said above, far too many cast changes (like Spooks). The last episode of the current series was the worst acting by far, akin to a badly written sitcom. Patrick the councillor, WTF was his "mediating" attempt all about? :confused:

Soon it'll be non stop Reeling In The Years on RTE...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

kmick wrote: »
    My wife watches it and I can confirm for those who hadnt seen it the acting was/is as wooden as pinochio's leg.

True but I think it had good ratings?

It must be a bummer for the actors in this show...especially when RTE go and waste money commissioning a series for Ryan Tubridy's cousin David McSavage, a man so unfunny and abusive that he's banned from most of the comedy clubs in Dublin....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

the cast changes did unsettle it a fair bit but overall I thought the storylines and acting were decent ?
    my wife always watched it - I could never warm to it when Cathy was in it (she was too moany!), but when that character left I got it into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

mike65 wrote: »
    Not that I ever watched and it may be down to RTE being broke but why can't RTE sustain a drama series?

Seven years is quite a run for a prime-time drama series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

7 years is more than Lost is going to have. It seemed slick but suffered from the perennial RTE problem of actor overlap. They'd be better sticking to the kind of miniseries style stuff that ITV do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭mailforkev

It didn't really work for me, although the other half and my mother seemed to think it was ok. Production values better than anything TV3 will ever knock out at least.

Mind you, whether you liked it or not, at least it was scripted television. It will be interesting to see if RTE replace it with likewise or continue the rush to the bottom with more reality dross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Dyflin wrote: »
    Soon it'll be non stop Reeling In The Years on RTE...

Maybe they would be better off cancelling the Reeling In The Years. Can you imagine Reeling In The Years for 2009:

Banking system all but collapses, National strikes.
    Dell and other multi nationals leave, Mass unemployment.
    Cheating French and FIFA deny Ireland a chance of going to the WC
    Flooding, torrential rainfall and overall sh1te-er weather than usual.
    Michael Jackson dies, and Jedward live.
    Published reports of sex abuse in the church,
    Tubridy takes over the Late Late Show.

Say you would end up swinging from the rafters after watching that. I'd nearly rather watch Val Falvery TD again.. well almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Was it in any newspapers about it been axed? I didn't hear or see anything about it anywhere except here on this site. B*****ds!!:mad:.I liked that programme.If they wanted to have cut-backs why did they not cut that flippin fair city, that is utter tripe with c**p actors. I was in a car showroom last Friday and could not believe it was on in the showroom :eek:.I had to go out in the cold as I could not bear to look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭thegoodlife

I only ever seen the last episode it's not half bad...pity it's cancelled..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

jimmyw wrote: »
    Was it in any newspapers about it been axed? I didn't hear or see anything about it anywhere except here on this site. B*****ds!!:mad:.I liked that programme.If they wanted to have cut-backs why did they not cut that flippin fair city, that is utter tripe with c**p actors.

Fair City gets a lot more viewers (and therefore advertising revenue) and is a lot cheaper to make. I presume it's a bit closer to the brink now that The Clinic has been axed, but it would leave a huge hole in prime time four nights a week.

Some of the acting is exceptionally good, incidentally, but that's not an argument I expect to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Seems definite now from various sources on Facebook etc that The Clinic has been cancelled by RTE. That was the last ever series.

Any thoughts?

Fantastic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Did they not recently sign up Alison Doody as a new cast member, (not seen it in a while)?

Look on the bright side, more Gerry Ryan Top Ten lists!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I think I will wait for more definite confirmation than sources on Facebook before I post my obituary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

I personally can't believe this. The Clinic, in my opinion, is one of RTE's best shows ever. I know they like everyone else are facing budget constraints but surely there is something they could do to keep this excellent show running. The Clinic is far better than some of the other stuff RTE puts on our screens.

I suppose I'm also annoyed at the way RTE frequently just stop a programme with no conclusion, there's just never another episode!

It's a real pity that The Clinic has been canceled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Very well shot, in high definition too. Not that we can truly appreciate it until RTE HD arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I'm not surprised and I predicted this in another thread. The final episode was ridiculous and their plot lines were awful.
    The guy they had on the reception desk was the funniest hammy actor I've seen in ages. He operated the desk like it was the starship enterprise.
    Dan was the only half decent character really.
    Having said all that,it wasn't the worst RTE have come out with but my god did it cost mega bucks.
    RTE need to make cuts but they won't go near certain sacred cows and there are a lot of people in there that actually do sweet fa.
    By the way, how many do they have working in their sports dept?
    What does Des Cahill actually do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 obutler

I CANT BELIEVE THEY ARE AXING THE CLINIC - LIKE BACHELORS WALK AND BULL ISLAND. 3 GREAT PROGRAMMES WITH GOOD ACTING AND THEY KEEP FAIR CITY ON 6 TIMES A WEEK!! TV LICENCE EXPENSIVE ENOUGH. JUST TYPICAL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

I really loved this show, particularly the earlier seasons. Both E.R and the Clinic finished, Sunday nights will never be the same again!
    I think I will wait for more definite confirmation than sources on Facebook before I post my obituary.

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2009/1124/theclinic.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lorcan02

I just can't believe it .. I loved that programme. Now we have been left high and dry - never knowing if Patrick lived or died !! But seriously though - it ended like there was going to be another series - loads of loose ends .. can't believe it. There was worse stuff that could have got the chop !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 obutler

it was in this mornings newspapers:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Unfortunately I am beginning to think that it is true that its getting the axe because I heard a competition question on Matt Coopers last word show today asking which show is going to be axed, the Sunday game, something else and the clinic. Did not hear the answer though.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/im-heartbroken-says-leigh-as-rte-axes-hit-clinic-series-1952174.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I was shocked and disappointed to hear this...wtf?! They left everything hanging...How am i going to survive without my weekly dose of Dastardly Doctor Dan?:(:(:(Just got rid of booooring Cathy too. Feck sake!

I was mildly peeved 'cos of the way it had implied there was some passion brewing between him and Daisy then all of a sudden dopey daisy turns to Rory...not even a quickie in the medicine cupboard:mad:.

In saying that I could've forgiven the scriptwriters. Why oh why have they done this?! What a pack of b*stards!

Btw the only wooden actor in it was Patrick, he was a total waste of space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sparklyprincess

I'm delighted. I thought it was awful rubbish and the acting was embarrassing. I think I would get sicker going to a clinic like that. At least we dont have to look at that Donal Sutherland-like face of daisy any longer!!!

Advertisement