Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Opel Astra v New Mazda 3

Options
  • 08-11-2009 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how people think these two cars match up,and which would be the better buy.Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I'd say the Astra is better to be honest. The Mazda 3 is nice but really nothing more than an update of the old model. The Astra also has the nicer cabin and has been getting better reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭decies

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Astra, I'd say a lot more was spent on developing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Well hold on now, the information and advice so far is quite general...

The latest Opels (Insignia, new Astra) seem to have really stepped up a gear but Mazda is a great brand also and tops reliability surveys far more often than GM products (as long as it's not the old 2.0 d:D)

For example if you're buying diesel the 1.6d in the Mazda would be far superior to the gruff old 1.7d in the Astra. In fact I think there's a very critical article over on Autocar about the new Astra with this engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

IF second hand values matter, and if they still have any value at all these days. Mazdas hold their value far better than Opels. Opel have definitely upped their game in the last few years though

• Advertisement

pburns wrote: »
    The latest Opels (Insignia, new Astra) seem to have really stepped up a gear but Mazda is a great brand also and tops reliability surveys far more often than GM products (as long as it's not the old 2.0 d:D)

I'm not doubting that, I think Mazda is a great brand. It's just, as Colm said, the Astra seems the more thoroughly developed car. I mean come on, how many cars can you say that have a watts linkage rear suspension!?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ankles wrote: »
    IF second hand values matter, and if they still have any value at all these days. Mazdas hold their value far better than Opels. Opel have definitely upped their game in the last few years though

The outgoing 3 hasn't got great residuals.
    As long as Opel don't throw loads of the new Astra on hire (unlikely) then it'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I'm not doubting that, I think Mazda is a great brand. It's just, as Colm said, the Astra seems the more thoroughly developed car. I mean come on, how many cars can you say that have a watts linkage rear suspension!?:D

The Mazda 3 / Volvo S40 / V50/ is on the Focus mkii chasis which is superior to that of the new Astra (read the reviews) irrespective of what name of Opel attach to the Astra chasis. I don't know how the Astra could be more 'thoroughly developed' if a fundamental like the chasis is inferior. That said two fine cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Would go for the astra too tbh, way nicer interior and better looking IMO, not as nice as the insignia but a very nicely styled car for that class

Rosser wrote: »
    The Mazda 3 / Volvo S40 / V50/ is on the Focus mkii chasis which is superior to that of the new Astra (read the reviews) irrespective of what name of Opel attach to the Astra chasis. I don't know how the Astra could be more 'thoroughly developed' if a fundamental like the chasis is inferior. That said two fine cars.

The Mazda 3 being based on the Focus platform has very little to do with the development of the car. Mazda themselves haven't even been shouting much about their new car, highlighting the fact that it is no great departure really from the previous model.

• Advertisement

Called into the local opel and mazda garage.s today.The mazda garage will be only selling the 1.6 diesal version which would be the one to go with anyway.The car actually especially the front looks better in the flesh than in the brochures!!
    The opel astra wont be out till december and will only be available in hatch back.Never had a hatchback,is my prejeduce against hatchbacks unfounded :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

decies wrote: »
    The opel astra wont be out till december and will only be available in hatch back.Never had a hatchback,is my prejeduce against hatchbacks unfounded :confused:

The 3 door astra is far nicer looking than the 5 door. And I have had an 07 astra sxi and now have a 09 astra sxi and have no complaints so far at all. Lovely car. Don't know much about the mazda so can't comment on that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd go with the Mazda, wouldn't have much faith in Opels tbh, very cheap and nasty nowadays and not very reliable from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

personally I would take the astra, haven't driven the new mazda yet, but the Opel is a great car to drive and really comfortable, nicely put together and I ahve found them very reliable...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

robtri wrote: »
    personally I would take the astra, haven't driven the new mazda yet, but the Opel is a great car to drive and really comfortable, nicely put together and I ahve found them very reliable...

But sur the new astra ain't out yet either?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Unless he was in Germany last week????????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

R.O.R wrote: »
    Unless he was in Germany last week????????

sorry lads was talking about the current model for sale, at this moment..

robtri wrote: »
    sorry lads was talking about the current model for sale, at this moment..

Brand new 5dr hatch should be in your local Opel dealer for the 12th December. Looks to be a big improvement over the current model.

New Sports Tourer coming too which apparently looks great (like a smaller Insignia Sports Tourer). Sports Hatch and Saloon to be replaced at a later date.

Get info quicker here than from Opel :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Brand new 5dr hatch should be in your local Opel dealer for the 12th December. Looks to be a big improvement over the current model.

New Sports Tourer coming too which apparently looks great (like a smaller Insignia Sports Tourer). Sports Hatch and Saloon to be replaced at a later date.

On route.....!
    New model Opel Astra..

100_0691.jpg
    100_0693.jpg
    100_0689.jpg
    100_0690.jpg

Spotted on M62 near Manchester on 3 x transporters

well done sir :D Still confused :confused:

On route.....!

Perhaps it's the 12th November then they are due in the dealers. :confused:

I wasn't really listening to the guy from Opel, but remember he said the 12th of some month.

Perhaps it's the 12th November then they are due in the dealers. :confused:

I wasn't really listening to the guy from Opel, but remember he said the 12th of some month.

I haven't a clue! I just found the pics online and then posted them here.....but they can't be too far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭SomeDude

Amazing that there is no mention of price in the Eddie Cuningham review. Surely that is of crucial importance in the buying decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

SomeDude wrote: »
    Amazing that there is no mention of price in the Eddie Cuningham review. Surely that is of crucial importance in the buying decision.

There wasn't much mention of anything in his review.
    I'm amazed he finds the lights poor - they must have changed them a lot from the '08 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

People talk about holding value of Astra's and Mazda 3's.

The thing is the outgoing Astra has the same look about it inside as it did back in 1998. My mother was looking at a 2004, trading in a 1998 and there were minor differences.

The new Astra, which I have not seen in the flesh, looks and sounds great. The mazda 3, for me, is not very eye catching and a bit boring.

I want to see the new Astra first but on looks and marketing/propaganda I think the Astra sounds like a winner over the overpriced Mazda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Looks like a VW Sirocco from the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The pics from that transporter shows a lot of different types of Alloys on the Uk spec.

Advertisement