Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable Managment 101 by Deano12345

Options
  • 06-11-2009 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

Welcome to my thread that will hopefully get you a 10 in the ''Rate my cables thread'' or at least decrease the temps in your case.

Step 1

We need the correct tools before we start,like anything.

3.2mm or 2.5mm cable ties :

va-201150_1.jpg

''Snips''/Small wire cutter :

h6226.jpg

One Case :

coolermaster_haf922_011.jpg

And Finally

Some time :

broken_clock1tm.jpg

Step 2
    Have everything you need?

Lets get started !

Evaluate whats in your case
    Which means
    -How many Fans/drives do you have ?
    -Is your PSU modular ? (Modular always helps)
    -How many graphics card ?
    -Does your case have any pre drilled holes ?

Heres some advice before we even start managing anything.

1. Fan controllers will clutter up behind your motherboard,But this is ok,we cant see the cables (other than a small few a the top,I'll tell you more about that later)

2.Modular PSU's always help,it will eliminate that cable clutter down the bottom of your case

3.Sata drives are great ! Their cables are much easier to manage than the old ''Ribbon'' IDE cables.If your doing a new build,pick up both SATA HDD's (thats a given nowadays) and a SATA DVD-RW Drive

4.Your type of case is very important.Some will have a lot of holes pre-drilled (Down by the PSU,up at the 8pin are the most usable IMO).If your handy with tools,you can create these holes with a Dremel or other rotary tool.

Step 3
    Now,actually onto the cable managment.

Step 1 : Front Panel connectors

These are usually USB,Audio I/O and maybe an E-Sata port.Lets manage them first.

Cooler-Intros-Mid-Tower-HAF-922-Chassis-3.jpg

For this particular case(HAF 922,but any case I have seen has had FP cables long enough to do this),the cables are long enough to be ran across the top of the motherboard and then down the left hand side and poke them through the recesses in the motherboard you can see just above the large hole.

Poke them through the separe holes (On/off cables though one of the holes on the left hand side and Power/HDD LED,through the hole closest to the connections for the motherboard.For me it was the hole furthest to the right above the big hole.But DONT tie them down yet.

*But Dean,I dont have any recesses *sadface*

Do not fear,cable manager.Get a roll of masking tape and use that to tie those dastardly cables down and run your IO cables through the big hole that will be on front of your PSU.*

Front I/O sorted ? Your damn sure it is ! :D

Step 2 : In the Drive-ing seat (:doh:)

Ok,lets sort out your drives,first off.Plug your SATA Data cables into your SATA devices,what ever they are and run all your drive cables across your motherboard.Once they are behind the motherboard tray,grab them all and line them up behind each other and cable tie them their.This step really reduces the cluttered look of multiple cables.Cable management is all smoke and mirrors really :D

Rinse and repeat this step for your SATA power cables but IMO,dont tie them all together,it looks cleaner if you do them seperatly (you will see what I mean a bit later)

Step 3 : Powah Time !

Ok,we have our IO and our drives sorted out.Now its time to sort out our motherboard power,8pin and GPU power.

First things first,the tighter you can get the GPU and 24Pin connectors the better it will look,try and tie them to the case wherever you can,again,use masking tape if you dont have any of those handy little recesses.For the 8Pin,run it around the back of the motherboard and out the top hole (if you have one,if not,make one !) and thats it :D

With your GPU cables you will most likley have 2 6/8 pins,plug them into your GPU and then cable tie them (in view)to a point where they are not being 'pulled' at the GPU end (ie so they cable isnt pulling on the card) and tie them down like your 24Pin

Step 4 : Admire your work

Here's what your case should look like once your done

4076387992_bd877da16b_b.jpg

*I'll update this later on with some more stuff to finish your job off

Anyway guys,I hope this guides helps you in your cable management adventures.Please let me know If you have any problems or any questions about your specific case...or tell me my cable managment is crap :lachen:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

This is a guide I posted up on Overclock.net (hence the bit about the ''Rate my cables thread'')It should help a few of ye hear though too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

what the heck? I spend about 4 hours today doing the cabling on my HAF and you then throw this up?

Great minds think alike ;)

Btw though Deano, you're forgetting the lifesaver! Self Adhesive Cable Clips!

28mm0020cable0020clip00.th.jpg

what the heck? I spend about 4 hours today doing the cabling on my HAF and you then throw this up?

Great minds think alike ;)

Btw though Deano, you're forgetting the lifesaver! Self Adhesive Cable Clips!

28mm0020cable0020clip00.th.jpg

I can honestly tell you I have never seen those self adhesive cablie ties,nice find :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Good post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Great post. Sata optical drives make life a whole lot easier, hate those IDE cables.:mad:

• Advertisement

Deano12345 wrote: »
    I can honestly tell you I have never seen those self adhesive cablie ties,nice find :)

Maplin have started stocking them recently, they are well worth it!

here's a (not particularly pretty) example of them in action:

dsc00223e.th.jpg

as you can see I ran out of them and had to resort to masking tape. :o

Maplin have started stocking them recently, they are well worth it!

here's a (not particularly pretty) example of them in action:

dsc00223e.th.jpg

as you can see I ran out of them and had to resort to masking tape. :o

Those hooks around the motherboard help too,I tied all my stuff to them.Also,masking tape FTW !

Those hooks around the motherboard help too,I tied all my stuff to them.Also,masking tape FTW !

The one thing about the hooks is that sometimes they aren't quite in the position to keep the cables taught enough. That's why the self adhesive things are so handy.

I personally put reusable cable ties everywhere first and slowly arrange all the cables one by one until they are all taught and use the self adhesives to keep them flush to the case (so i can close the side panel easily). Then I just swap out the reusables when I'm happy with the end results for the stronger ones.

The one thing about the hooks is that sometimes they aren't quite in the position to keep the cables taught enough. That's why the self adhesive things are so handy.

I personally put reusable cable ties everywhere first and slowly arrange all the cables one by one until they are all taught and use the self adhesives to keep them flush to the case (so i can close the side panel easily). Then I just swap out the reusables when I'm happy with the end results for the stronger ones.

Same as me then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Nice post.
    I have a P182 and its a mare for cable management as the depth of the back panel recess is only about the size of a 20/24 pin cable.It makes closing the panel like "sitting on a suitcase" when you have as many cables as i have.:mad:

• Advertisement

game4it70 wrote: »
    Nice post.
    I have a P182 and its a mare for cable management as the depth of the back panel recess is only about the size of a 20/24 pin cable.It makes closing the panel like "sitting on a suitcase" when you have as many cables as i have.:mad:

Most cases are like that,even big one

game4it70 wrote: »
    Nice post.

Yup they are all like that tbh, my 932 hasn't much more space than that behind the motherboard shelf. That's why the self adhesive clips are so handy, each cable can be given it's own little route behind the tray keeping everything as flat as a pancake.

flat as a pancake.

mmmm.....Pancakes *drool*

Well lads,I should have really updated this thread a little or bumped it,but anyway.Heres one now.

I'll be taking an old Gateway (10 years old) down from the attic this morning to create a tutorial on cable managing wiht non-modular,no cables case.

Dell users,Listen up ! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

4076387992_bd877da16b_b.jpg

Those dual heatsinks look cool.

But how the hell does the fan in the middle, blow air through the left heatsink?

It looks like theres no opening whatsoever, (well judging by the one on the right anyway)

Those dual heatsinks look cool.

But how the hell does the fan in the middle, blow air through the left heatsink?

It looks like theres no opening whatsoever, (well judging by the one on the right anyway)

The fans are set up so that the 2 on the IFX blow the air towards the back of the case (through the heatsink) and they are pulled out by the exhaust fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

The fans are set up so that the 2 on the IFX blow the air towards the back of the case (through the heatsink) and they are pulled out by the exhaust fan

Just did a google for IFX now and i see that theres actually "shelves" with clearance between them.

ifx14uw7.jpg

I coulodnt see the shelves from your pic,
    and thought it was a solid lump of metal, constricting airflow!

Cheers.

Just did a google for IFX now and i see that theres actually "shelves" with clearance between them.

ifx14uw7.jpg

I coulodnt see the shelves from your pic,
    and thought it was a solid lump of metal, constricting airflow!

Cheers.

Yeah,it is a beast,here's a more recent pic,to give an idea of the size

4231491355_0812e138a9_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I have one thing to say: Velcro cable ties!
    Sure they may take up a bit more space but zip ties will drive you insane if you ever need to make changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Deano12345 have you ever tried setting the fans up so they are pushing air across the ifx instead of pulling air?
    Just wondering how effective it is having the case fan and cpu fan so close together.

• Advertisement

cork45 wrote: »
    Deano12345 have you ever tried setting the fans up so they are pushing air across the ifx instead of pulling air?
    Just wondering how effective it is having the case fan and cpu fan so close together.

The Fans on the IFX are pushing air across the the HS.The Fan on the case is then pulling the hot air out

What I mean is at the moment you have the fans on the left side of the heatsinks,so they are pulling the air through from right to left,have you tried them on the right hand side so they are pushing the air through the heatsink from right to left and you will have a lager gap between the heatsink and the case exhaust fan.
    The buddie tried both ways and found he got better temps this way.

cork45 wrote: »
    What I mean is at the moment you have the fans on the left side of the heatsinks,so they are pulling the air through from right to left,have you tried them on the right hand side so they are pushing the air through the heatsink from right to left and you will have a lager gap between the heatsink and the case exhaust fan.
    The buddie tried both ways and found he got better temps this way.

Ah,I see what you mean,yeah I tried it,it was rubbish for me,but it varies from case to case

Ah,I see what you mean,yeah I tried it,it was rubbish for me,but it varies from case to case

Ah fair enough I thought you had a HAF 922,That's what the buddy has.
    I don't think it would vary much between cases to be honest as the position of the heatsink and exhaust fan is pretty much the same.

Advertisement