ww1 records - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-10-2009, 13:31   #1
aero1974

ww1 records

I have my great grandfathers service records from ww1 but I am trying to find out where he fought in France does anyone know how I can find it out.

Thanks
Advertisement
29-10-2009, 13:44   #2
Morlar
Closed Account

You could try the WWI forum - Soc-Military-WWI

If you can't find the answer there someone may point you to the right place to look elsewhere on the web.
01-11-2009, 19:57   #3
Tiramisu

WW1 Records

Try the commonwealth war graves memorial site

www.cwgc.org

They have a searchable database
01-11-2009, 20:23   #4
pinkypinky

There are codes on the service records which will indicate which theatre of war. You will need a military historian to tell you which parts of which country they mean. I can pm you the name of someone I've been in touch with if you want.
01-11-2009, 21:01   #5
R.Dub.Fusilier
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero1974 View Post
I have my great grandfathers service records from ww1 but I am trying to find out where he fought in France does anyone know how I can find it out.

Thanks
post your question with an image if possible here Research A Soldier and somebody will help . i may be able to help you myself . if it has (1) on it it means he served in france , (2b) is Balkins (2a) Salonika (3) Egypt and it goes on.
Advertisement
04-11-2009, 00:36   #6
Snickers Man

The regimental histories would give you an indication of where his batallion fought.

In the British Army, regiments typically had county or regional affiliations (eg Northumberland Fusiliers, Hampshire Regiment, Essex Regiment etc) They were organised as batallions, which typically would operate completely independently of each other. Batallions are grouped into brigades and then divisions, corps and armies but these latter groupings are more fluid and can be broken up and reassembled as circumstances require.

In peace time, or in "normal" colonial situations, a regiment would usually have two batallions and these might be brigaded compeletely independently of each other. It was often the case that the first batallion of one regiment was situated in a garrison town somewhere in the British Isles while the second batallion of the same regiment was in Africa or India.

If you know what batallion your ancestor was in, it is quite easy to get a basic regimental history to let you know where that batallion was posted at what stage of the war. Even Wikipedia will give you some indications of where to start looking.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion