Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Higgins -v- Ken Doherty: Snooker Exhibition in DCU this Wednesday.

Options
  • 18-10-2009 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Oct
    John Higgins -v- Ken Doherty

Venue: The Venue in DCU Student Centre
    Price: €17
    When: 21st October 2009 at 7:30pm
    DCUSU are proud to present a snooker exhibition with John Higgins and Ken Doherty.

On 21st October John Higgins and Ken Doherty will take part in a snooker exhibition in the Venue, in the DCU student centre.

Here is a round up of what will happen on the night
    Both pros will play 2 amateurs each.
    John Higgins to play an extra frame which will be auctioned on the night.
    Ken Doherty will play an extra frame which will be done by a draw.

So both will play three amateurs each.

After a 15min interval there will be a best of 7 match between the John and Ken.
    It is sure to be a great night so don’t miss out. This is the only time this will happen in Dublin this year

ring 017005392 for tickets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AngryLoner

will tickets be available on the night? Is it possible to reserve them, with a CC number or something?

Oh, and... GO JIMMY WHITE!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

I have two free tickets for this exhibitition, anyone interested?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

zack01 wrote: »
    I have two free tickets for this exhibitition, anyone interested?

I sure would zack! :)

Sorry Celtic, when i did'nt hear back from anyone by the time i left for work yesterday at lunchtime i took them with me and gave to to a work mate, did'nt want them going to waste. I'm sure you can pay at the door on the night, i've been to a good few of this exhibititions and they are great entertainment, the pro's are always laid back and cracking jokes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Have tix....see yiz there :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Sorry Celtic, when i did'nt hear back from anyone by the time i left for work yesterday at lunchtime i took them with me and gave to to a work mate, did'nt want them going to waste. I'm sure you can pay at the door on the night, i've been to a good few of this exhibititions and they are great entertainment, the pro's are always laid back and cracking jokes etc.

Not to worry, thanks all the same. I ended up stuck late in work late and couldn't leave so I wasn't able make it in time anyway. :( So it's just as well someone else got them.

Was really looking forward to this one (Paying or not :)), I hope it has a good turnout and goes well. I'll will have to make it to the next Dublin one.

@ zuutroy et all

Let us know how it went.

Just back. Was good craic however there were way too many frames against amateurs and first half really dragged. Some cracking snooker when they played each other in the second half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I can't believe ppl pay to watch a washed up champion who hasnt done anything in yrs and someone who is incredibly boring. u need players like ronnie, robertson etc, ppl u can have a laugh with, as well as being potting machines. I would'nt donate anything to Higgins back pocket as that is all he cares about.

Wow! your a real snooker fan! have you ever been to a snooker exhibition? Well if you have you would have seen some great snooker played in a great atmosphere between the two players, i've been to a good few and they are always a great night regardless of who the pro's are.

And as for donating anything to John Higgins, i believe he deserves everything he gets, he's the best player out there and a true world champion and apart from Ken Doherty is the only other player who is actually trying to promote the game across Europe,he is the main promoter behind the World Series that we have seen on Eurosport coming from places such as Moscow and just last w'end Prague and belive me you would have more of a laugh with him than you would with Ronnie.

Also nice to hear your kind remarks about Ken Doherty, sorry but i amongst a lot of snooker fans believe he is far from washed up.

Celtic, no problem, next exhibition that's on i'll keep my eye out for a few tickets, there are always floating around the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AngryLoner

Fair play to whoever organised that exhibition... I thought it was great! Good atmosphere, good crowd, some fine snooker. And the MC was a legend.

My favourite bit was when the young lad from Darndale with the real arrogant air about him turned out to be rubbish. Result!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Wow! your a real snooker fan! have you ever been to a snooker exhibition? Well if you have you would have seen some great snooker played in a great atmosphere between the two players, i've been to a good few and they are always a great night regardless of who the pro's are.

And as for donating anything to John Higgins, i believe he deserves everything he gets, he's the best player out there and a true world champion and apart from Ken Doherty is the only other player who is actually trying to promote the game across Europe,he is the main promoter behind the World Series that we have seen on Eurosport coming from places such as Moscow and just last w'end Prague and belive me you would have more of a laugh with him than you would with Ronnie.

Also nice to hear your kind remarks about Ken Doherty, sorry but i amongst a lot of snooker fans believe he is far from washed up.

Celtic, no problem, next exhibition that's on i'll keep my eye out for a few tickets, there are always floating around the club.

+1

I thought it was a great night. First live snooker match i've been to and i'll definitely be looking to go to more in the future. There was a great laid back atmosphere but there were definitely some in the crowd who weren't really into it (mainly Darndale lads) as they were making more and more smart comments as the night wore on. I have to admit though that I was expecting the amateurs to be a bit better than they were. Some of them were really bad, nearly as bad as me!!! :D But all in all it was a great night, really enjoyed it. Well done to all involved!

I was actually surprised to see John hanging around and having a chat while Ken was playing the amateurs. He seemed to enjoy it and was happy to be there as opposed to just showing up, earning a pay cheque and fecking off again.

have I ever went to one?! Iv played in many of them! Iv been playing snooker since I was 8, I know all there is to know, Iv been to all the big tourneys over and over, tried to qualify for them too! but to no such joy.
    These amateurs have to pay over 250euro to play Ken or John for one frame which I think is a complete joke, John is all about the money, doesnt give a tits about the game, he's just there for the dough not for the love unlike Ronnie, Hendry. He's an amazing player, cant take that away from the guy but he will never ever be like Ronnie and Hendry, there in Class A, Higgins is below. He's a dry as fcuk so I def wouldnt pay to watch him in exhibition, he's a match player folks.
    Regarding Ken, his desire ain't there, he wont be making a return to his winning ways, he might do well (semi finals) in one tourney but thats it, he's like Williams, Matthews, finished! Just trying to float about, pick up a few quid here and there. Ken has more interest in the poker now it seems, I seem week in week out in some poker tournament.

You know all there is to know about the game? I disagree with that Dylanmc11. Saying that Higgins is a class below O'Sullivan and Hendry begins to sum it up really.Agreed Ronnie is the most natural talent the game has ever seen and Hendry with his seven worls titles and i think at last count 36 ranking tournaments is probably the greatest ever. But Ronnie has only won three world titles and funny enough so has John Higgins and Ronnie has only won 2 more ranking titles that Higgins.

And Higgins is a match player, a great match player, but he does'nt play match play in exhibitions, hence the word 'exhibition'!

And as for Higgins not giving a tits about the game? total nonsense. If anyone does'nt give a tits about the game it's O'Sullivan, from his disrespect to tournament officals, behavior at press interviews, a walkout in a tournament, a positive drug test during a tournament and most of all an assult on a tournament offical, does'nt that just sum him up?
    Yes as i said he's a fantastic talent and i love watching him play but the game is bigger than him.

And as for Doherty, well we will just have to see, but believe he's not just 'floating' around trying to pick up a few quid, there is a lot more to Ken Doherty than that.

Tell me, in fact tell us all, what tournaments have you been to over and over?, what tournaments did you try to qualify for? You must have been a pro, what's your name? I've been in the game long enough i've probably heard of you.

Also your figure of having to pay over €250 to play these guys is way off the mark, maybe that's what you got hit for, after all you know all there is to know about the game!!:)

You know all there is to know about the game? I disagree with that Dylanmc11. Saying that Higgins is a class below O'Sullivan and Hendry begins to sum it up really.Agreed Ronnie is the most natural talent the game has ever seen and Hendry with his seven worls titles and i think at last count 36 ranking tournaments is probably the greatest ever. But Ronnie has only won three world titles and funny enough so has John Higgins and Ronnie has only won 2 more ranking titles that Higgins.

And Higgins is a match player, a great match player, but he does'nt play match play in exhibitions, hence the word 'exhibition'!

And as for Higgins not giving a tits about the game? total nonsense. If anyone does'nt give a tits about the game it's O'Sullivan, from his disrespect to tournament officals, behavior at press interviews, a walkout in a tournament, a positive drug test during a tournament and most of all an assult on a tournament offical, does'nt that just sum him up?
    Yes as i said he's a fantastic talent and i love watching him play but the game is bigger than him.

And as for Doherty, well we will just have to see, but believe he's not just 'floating' around trying to pick up a few quid, there is a lot more to Ken Doherty than that.

Tell me, in fact tell us all, what tournaments have you been to over and over?, what tournaments did you try to qualify for? You must have been a pro, what's your name? I've been in the game long enough i've probably heard of you.

Also your figure of having to pay over €250 to play these guys is way off the mark, maybe that's what you got hit for, after all you know all there is to know about the game!!:)

One of the young lads in the club played steve davis last year and fork out around 200euro for a frame, so 250 euro is not "way off the mark".They pay around that to play a frame with these pros. I went to goffs, yr in, yr out, city west, crucible, uk championships, masters, been to them numerous of times and been to other small tournaments like one that was in the basketball arena yrs ago, think it was called the Irish Open?! not too sure.I never said I was a pro. My name?! Irrelvant. this isnt about my history or game.
    If u think Higgins in the same class as Ronnie well fair point, Hendry is the greatest player of all time, no probably about it, and if your hestitating to say that u show ur lack of knowledge.
    In years to come who will people remember? Do you honestly think that'll remember John Higgins and Ken?! No they'll remember Hendry, Ronnie, Davis, A.Higgins. Thats who, they all changed the game, they all done so much for the game, they all made the game, they all brought somethin new to the game.
    Yes Ronnie's behaviour isn't always acceptable but he's street ahead of anyone there now, and u know if Ronnie was playing one room, and John was playing in another, u know where the audience would be.

Good Luck.

I only said you must have been a pro because you claimed 'i have been to all the big tourneys and even tried to qualify for them too' now as far as i am aware only players with a pro ticket are allowed compete in these 'tourneys'.

I said Hendry is probably the greatest ever, i say probably as a term because every one has there own opinion, in my mind he is the greatest simply because he completely dominated a decade of snooker, a decade when the game began to open up to more players and in my opinion the standard in play got better, he also lost two other world finals so all in he could possibly have won 9 titles.

Yes some players in exhibitions do have to pay for the privilage to play the pros but mostly you buy a ticket on the night and be drawn out to play or lots of clubs used to have competitions and the winner would earn the right to play, €200 is a bit extreme and i've very rarely heard about someone paying that except of course when it is for charity.

In fact i read a charity night was held in the silver springs in Cork on friday where the 'dry fcuk and match player' John Higgins played some great snooker which included a 147!!

Ronnie maybe streets ahead of anyone when and if he decides to play but the guy just does'nt respect the game,of course people will watch Ronnie ahead of Higgins but how long more for? Maybe he will come good on his frequent threats to quit the game!!

And last 'lack of knowledge'? Don't make me laugh.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

AngryLoner wrote: »
    Fair play to whoever organised that exhibition... I thought it was great! Good atmosphere, good crowd, some fine snooker. And the MC was a legend.

My favourite bit was when the young lad from Darndale with the real arrogant air about him turned out to be rubbish. Result!

Lol. I was that "MC". I thought it was a great night and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Isn't that what exhibitions are supposed to be?

Theres a lot of nonsense being spoken in this thread, and nearly all by the same "know it all" poster.

Saying ken doherty is "washed up", and only hanging around the game to make a few bob and is more interested in playing poker nowadays shows just how little you actually know. I am a personnal friend of kens, and i know how much it hurts him to have dropped to the ranking where he is now. He is still doing 6-7 hours a day practice in the hope of clawing his way back up the rankings. The standard of snooker has kept increasing over the past 20 years, and still is today, and for Ken to have remained at the top level for so long is a tribute to his skill and dedication to the game. Your comments on Ken are simply way off the mark, and are in fact, quite disrespectful.

On to your next "factual point". I help organise these exhibitions and I've never yet heard of a player paying €250 (or anywhere near it) to play a frame (except at a charity night where a frame has been auctioned and has made much more than €250). When people like DCU put on 1 of these exhibitions, they have to recover the costs from somewhere. The norm is to get €100 from a player to play a frame against the pro, other than that, a player is asked to sell 10 tickets at €20 to his friends/family if he cant afford the €100.

Now on to your opinion on the standing of John Higgens. Jeez, if you only knew the man you would realise how far you are from the truth. I used to do exhibitions with Ronnie, but when it came to the end of the night and ronnie was asked to sit for the autograph/photograph session with the fans, he would often reply that he was too tired for that of that he didnt feel like doing autographs tonite. Hence I dont book him anymore for exhibitions. Exhibition nights are about pros getting up close and personnal with the fans. The fans want that couple of minutes at the end of the night where they shake the players hand, wish him luck for the rest of the season, get his autograph and have their picture taken with the player. Thats what the nights about as well as entertaining people. Some players understand their responsabilities of being a pro, some dont. And John Higgens certainly does!! He was a gentleman to deal with all week, he entertained with class snooker, he cracked jokes with the fans, he stayed on every night above and beyond the call of duty to make sure every fan in the house went home with their treasured autographs/photographs.

You sir, (imho of course) have no clue as to what your talking about. Your picking names out and trying to bad-mouth them for some reason that only you know. Seems to me that your the jealous type, thought you could make it as a player, failed and then take it out on those that did.

Oh, and if Ronnie was in 1 room, and John Higgens was in the other, I know which room I'd be in. I'd be in the one where I'd be appreciated as a fan.

Connie (end of rant)

Fair Play Connie, thanks for backing up my reply to that guy 'who knows it all', it's people like him who bad mouth the game, they hav'nt a clue what 'they' are talking about.

And fair play to you for organising the exhibitions, a good few lads from the club went to DCU last wednesday and are still talking about it, well done!

And your dead right about this guy being bitter, i asked in an earlier post was he a pro because he claimed to have tried to qualify for the tournaments and his reply was 'this is'nt about my history or game'! So it's obvious that he's telling porkies, (imho of course).

I and i'm sure you too are eagerly awaiting his reply, can't wait to hear what he comes out with next.

Put it this way if there was a thread about horse racing you would'nt hear from me because i hav'nt a clue about it, but anything about snooker then i will have my say, i played amateur snooker for many years and was lucky enough to have played for my country in both senior and junior internationals, i did'nt turn pro because of the simple reason i was'nt good enough, but that does'nt make me bitter,i am still involved in the game in a business sense now but i love the game and will continue to do so for many years.

Zack (end of my rant!)

Advertisement