Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sf4 characters?

Options
  • 20-09-2009 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭

trying to decide on a new sf4 character? please help im a ken but come on ken is doin my head in! what is there a shortage of at the mo in irish sf4 players im willing to stick with the character and progress withy him or her!

let me be your guinea pig lol?

cant decide myself so give me a dig out please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

There's certainly no shortage of Blankas LOL. If you could get profficient with Ken, that would make you the exception, rather than the rule. There's not a lot of brilliant C. vipers around so picking her would be an unusual choice....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

cammy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dan is a great character to stick with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

it's nice to be niche. People are normally happy to see rarely played characters. Look at tourney's like Evo where the odd Gen and Sakura player comes along. They get a big following because they are rarely played, their tricks aren't widely known, and it makes a great change from the Ryu and Sagat spam.

So if you pick a console character, you will probably be popular. Plus, if you pick a rarely used characters you will find it easier to win matches as people don't know your tricks.

We don't have a Gen. He is highly technical, takes a good bit of practice and has some cool combo's. So if you want to be different thats an option.

ChopperByrne likes Rose and has mentioned wanting to main her but she is pretty rare so a good choice.

Nobody has mained Gouken in our group yet. Personally, I feel that he is one of untapped characters out there. He has specific counter moves so potentially, you could be un hittable if you are good enough. Has variable fireballs, has akuma air flips without akuma's low health, has short but damaging combo's and decent footsie's. If I was to drop Sim, I would definately go with Gouken.

I'm the only Sim at the moment, so you could always pick him if you like defensive zoning play.

We have one Fei Long. Tricky customer by the name of John Lundy who impressed a good few people at the last tourney. Seeing as you play Ken, you must like rushdown....Fei Long is a pretty good bet for this style, although you really need to learn your spacing and which moves are safe when.

We have one or two Sakura's, one Cammy, one Claw, one Guile. So if you pick any of them you will be pretty rare too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Ken B wrote: »
    There's certainly no shortage of Blankas LOL. If you could get profficient with Ken, that would make you the exception, rather than the rule. There's not a lot of brilliant C. vipers around so picking her would be an unusual choice....
    lol i know blanka is so overplayed mostly by people online with very little skill and just keep trying to electrify your ass lol but then again those tactics while blunt bcan be effective sadly:( i count myself reasonably good with ken but i need a challenge`, im having a look now - my friend thinks i should try and get very efficient with akuma:confused:

• Advertisement

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Meh I wouldn't let anyone tell me who to play - Suggestions are fine but ultimately I'd never be happy if it wasn't my style.

Fell in love with the Charge style over Circle style and my favourite character since SF2 has been Guile, used him (and variations of him, such as Charlie/Nash) forever - Would be using him on SF4 only his charge moves are more awkward than others (Feels different/requires different timing to what Im used to) and his Ultra isn't pretty to perform so I decided to pick up Boxer instead and loving it.

If I had to drop Boxer I'd stick to charge style out of preference, that leaves players like Bison, Blanka, Honda, Chun etc

You have to narrow it down, not look at the huge picture...

Do you like Power? Speed? Projectiles? Melee? Defense/Offense capability? Charge? Circle?

etc etc

When I got SF4 I cracked out Guile, swapped to Boxer but still made a point of half-trying all the rest in Training Mode and Trials. It didn't take me long at all to realise just who I would fall on if I had to swap around - Shoto style just ISN'T me and I never liked grapplers much, either.

If all else fails, pick El Fuerte - Sod all of them anywhere.
    looking at elfuerte now lol come on the lil guy!

obviously im not saying tellme what to do as i have no mind of my own lol just thought it could be interesting

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Dan is a great character to stick with.
    il cherck dan out too:)

Kirby wrote: »
    it's nice to be niche. People are normally happy to see rarely played characters. Look at tourney's like Evo where the odd Gen and Sakura player comes along. They get a big following because they are rarely played, their tricks aren't widely known, and it makes a great change from the Ryu and Sagat spam.

So if you pick a console character, you will probably be popular. Plus, if you pick a rarely used characters you will find it easier to win matches as people don't know your tricks.

We don't have a Gen. He is highly technical, takes a good bit of practice and has some cool combo's. So if you want to be different thats an option.

ChopperByrne likes Rose and has mentioned wanting to main her but she is pretty rare so a good choice.

Nobody has mained Gouken in our group yet. Personally, I feel that he is one of untapped characters out there. He has specific counter moves so potentially, you could be un hittable if you are good enough. Has variable fireballs, has akuma air flips without akuma's low health, has short but damaging combo's and decent footsie's. If I was to drop Sim, I would definately go with Gouken.

I'm the only Sim at the moment, so you could always pick him if you like defensive zoning play.

We have one Fei Long. Tricky customer by the name of John Lundy who impressed a good few people at the last tourney. Seeing as you play Ken, you must like rushdown....Fei Long is a pretty good bet for this style, although you really need to learn your spacing and which moves are safe when.

We have one or two Sakura's, one Cammy, one Claw, one Guile. So if you pick any of them you will be pretty rare too :)
    thanks kirby nice to see a long helpful post:) tried guile again when sf4 arrived but as i expected arrived back with ken:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Have you unlocked the secret character Sheng long yet? Man he is awesome.

You just need to win every round as Ryu without taking any damage whatsoever and then perform his "Shoryuken" move during the final boss fight against Seth.

If you manage to unlock him (very few people have, I haven't seen any online) I'd recommend maining him. He is all kinds of win.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Akuma... Ftw :D why not play a mix between Ryu and Ken? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I haven't beaten Sheng Long yet.
    I guess that's why I don't stand a chance. :(

Hmm... rushdown...

Oh feck it, learn Ryu, and learn him well. Sorted.

Oh and ABEL IS MY MAIN, BITCHES!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Rufus would be a good choice. There is no rufus main in the south (VDeck from the north has a great rufus) which is surprising since he is a very good character. Well, good enough for justin wong and marn anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I've started playing Fuerte and I think I will stick with him this time. I just have to learn how to avoid taking damage with him.

Too used to having that tank Honda take a lot of damage and still win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

charge char ultras are hard.
    c viper is great but her counters require quick thinking, her mix ups are great.
    Shes actually really well made and only one with super jump but i cant pull off her combos well, some chars require really strict timing, kinda annoying but hopefully in time, we will all learn !!!!

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Have you unlocked the secret character Sheng long yet? Man he is awesome.

You just need to win every round as Ryu without taking any damage whatsoever and then perform his "Shoryuken" move during the final boss fight against Seth.

If you manage to unlock him (very few people have, I haven't seen any online) I'd recommend maining him. He is all kinds of win.
    didnt unlock that character but im really interested now so you have to go through the story mode without taking any damage even from seth and finish seth with a shoryuken?

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Not at all, to be quite honest - Guile seems to have one of the awkward ones but even his isn't so bad to execute - Not sure of Blanka/Bison/Honda/Chuns but I wouldn't really think they'd be anymore difficult than a circle character with exception to the fact they need to be charged which isn't all that big an issue, really.

charge back, forward, back forward

down, forward, down, forward [qcf's i mean]

How is it not harder? execution is much more complex, everytime i land from a jump or performs ex kicks, i need to charge down, its annoying. Complicates ones strategy.

Eg: stunned opponent, ryu will be able to ultra here easily, where as i would either risk the execution or focus attack holding down back then forward, back forward x 3 kicks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

When ya play charge characters ya get use to being charged at all times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

Really easy on a stick, ****e on a pad I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Charge ultras are not more complex (with regard to b, f, b, f ultras, not Guile/Vega's), you just need to know that you're going to be executing them at different times.

different strokes for different folks then i guess? Im an SF3 player and comparing the old chuns qcf.qcf kick = this is much harder. I never really have played charge chars so its new to me but still saying that, theres 0% room for error when executing charge ultra, where as qcf motion is so simple , the down and forward reside perpendicularly where as back and forward are completely parallel, where in haste you might press up by mistake etc.

• Advertisement

I agree with placebo here. I've always been a shoto-style player and even when I dabbled in chargers in third strike, you still had quarter-circle motions for the supers.

As bush said, when you're used to it you'll always be charged (down and back!). But i'm not used to it so I'm never charged. Too much effort to learn a new playing style now :pac:

Just saw this vid yesterday. At the very end, Boxer does some sort of crazy kara-cancelled ex rush punch \slash ultra or focus cancelled ultra. Whatever is it, it's madness and even daigo didn't see it coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

animaX wrote: »
    Just saw this vid yesterday. At the very end, Boxer does some sort of crazy kara-cancelled ex rush punch \slash ultra or focus cancelled ultra. Whatever is it, it's madness and even daigo didn't see it coming!

Its not a kara or FADC.

He just focused the fireball and did a very shory dash up Ultra.I've been playing around with itl with Bison at close range and it's pretty useful.

You have to have a charge then focus the first part of the ex hadoken ,double tap forward,back, forward 3xp,you need to be quick needless to say.

It's easier to do through a normal fireball as you have more time and it's probably most useful with Chun because you can do it from further away with her super quick Ultra start up.

Ignore this explanation,Dreddy has a better one on page 3!

g2's are fools, always get them with the chub ultra through fireball
    the super also has a small invincibility frame, got guile through his sonic boom at close range, was aiming for ultra though

need to practice Focus cancels into ultra, thats the way to win, FADC all the time

blag wrote: »
    you need to be quick needless to say.

You said it! You can't even see the dash! But to do it during an ex fireball is mighty impressive

i think justin did something similar in sf3

ex fireball, parried first fireball and chun sa2'd through the other

IMPOSSIBLE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Isn't that just QCF for the parry and then a quick QCF + K for the Super?

yes but how quick can you even be, i tried it lots, impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

blag wrote: »
    Its not a kara or FADC.

He just focused the fireball and did a very shory dash up Ultra.I've been playing around with itl with Bison at close range and it's pretty useful.

You have to have a charge then focus the first part of the ex hadoken ,double tap forward,back, forward 3xp,you need to be quick needless to say.

It's easier to do through a normal fireball as you have more time and it's probably most useful with Chun because you can do it from further away with her super quick Ultra start up.

It is kara, you do it by doing charge back, forward + KKK, back, forward and KKK extremely fast and you can tell it's the kara armor cancel because your character will flash as he's done an EX move when he absorbs the fireball, but it won't use a stock of meter. You can also tell because you're only able to do the cancel if you absorb the hit - it won't cancel into the ultra otherwise. This creates a useful option select as if your opponent goes for a meaty you can use this - if they do meaty, you'll absorb and then ultra them, if they don't meaty you then it won't cancel, and you'll be able to pressure them after the EX upper. Was messing around with this in training mode and it's nothing to do with focus attacks.

(Abel can do it too with QCF + PP, QCF + PPP, Zangief can do EX running bear grab into ultra though as far as I know that one is completely useless)

edit: It's done on wakeup at 28 seconds in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_0kTk0jCgo&feature=channel_page

edit:

Also here you can see Fuerte do EX run armor cancelled into ultra, with input display on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cexj1NZvB3I

• Advertisement
Advertisement