Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Conditions around County Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭FreedomJoe

The Dunmore to Tuam Road is pathetic. It does seem that it almost appeared over night!

Whaty cracks me up is that Dunmore itself had a terribel road for years through it, but once you got the other side you were ok, now Dunmore has a great road through it, and once you get to the otherside the road is ****e!

Im seriously now considering to refuse to pay my road tax until the Government/Councils maintain the roads correctly for which I pay my road tax for!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JackyJoe

Workmate had a problem an the Athenry road as well a few
    weeks ago, hit a pot hole, blew tyre, split the alloy and damage
    to steering. Got home took pics of damage, got lift out to the
    scene of the crime and what did she see, only a council crew in a lorry after shoveling tar and hips into the pothole???
    can you believe it. The council say it is the NRA, they say it is
    The N6 construction companies problem, and so it goes.

So why were the council filling in the pothole????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭kahlua

Last Friday went through a pothole on the Ballymoneen Road, two tyres blown, two wheels bent and cracked. Had to get the car towed to the garage, replaced tyres and hammered and welded wheels back into place... collected the car today €900 in damage :mad:!

I've shot off a mail to roads@galwaycoco.ie about the pothole but just wondering how do i go about claiming the money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

A picture of the pothole, a receipt from the garage along with the date and time the blow out happened and all this should be forwarded to the finance section of Galway County Council. Did this a couple of years back when I wrecked two tyres on the side of a road pulling in to let a lorry pass. I didn't get the full amount but received 80% of it. A call to your local councillor telling him/her what happened will do no harm. Someone like Sean Kyne or Seamus Walsh perhaps. Explain what you are doing and they will make representations on your behalf. Can't promise it will work but it is worth a try. What happened to you was a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

kahlua wrote: »
    Last Friday went through a pothole on the Ballymoneen Road, two tyres blown, two wheels bent and cracked. Had to get the car towed to the garage, replaced tyres and hammered and welded wheels back into place... collected the car today €900 in damage :mad:!

I've shot off a mail to roads@galwaycoco.ie about the pothole but just wondering how do i go about claiming the money back?

Is the Ballymoneen Road not in the City Council Area? should be roads@galwaycity.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭kahlua

Yeah mchammer... sigh.. the response i got to the mail was a pretty curt contact galway city council.

Will def persue this... severely pissed me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

All roads leading into Tuam are in a horrific state. Galway Road, Birmingham Road and Dublin Rd are just a joke, but none are a bad as the road coming into Dunmore from the Tuam side. The road is falling to bits and motorists are well advised to slow down to less than 10 mph if they want to keep their jammer's in tact.

Interesting that the Galway County Council have recently declared that they can't afford to do anything with the state of the roads. Maybe it is time for people to declare that the can't afford to pay for their road tax as well, as obviously it is dead money which isn't being spent on road care, but only on increased council workers salaries. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

My car tax is up since last month.......
    I ain't renewing it any time soon, they say it could be up to 2 years before all pipe laying on roads around Tuam is completed and therefore re-surfacing won't be starting before then........
    I guess I'll be getting a good few months tax signed off cause I'm not paying to drive on this rubbish, while the east of the country probably wouldn't know what a pothole was.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lucciano

mars bar wrote: »
    There was a piece in the Tuam Herald about the Co. Council claiming that cars getting damaged in potholes were not their problem! Surely that's them saying that the potholes are also not their problem...how ridiculous is that? Here is the link:

http://www.tuamherald.ie/pages/page2.pdf

If you damage your car truck on a public road the council are indeed responsible. Send them a bill for the damage, if they ignore that take them to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kevmalone

I hit a pothole last may, im putting in a claim to get the money back for the damage caused too my car. The counsil want to know exactly where the pothole is, could anyone tell me where the garda barracks are on the athenry side of kiltullagh on R348, or could anyone point it out on a map. thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

What has the Garda Station in Kiltullagh got to do with it? Why not provide the County Council with a photo of the pothole, the townland where it is located, the damage it caused and the dimensions of the pothole if that is possible. That should be enough. If you want to ring Kiltullagh Garda Station it is 091-848006 and Garda Paul Crowe is the man to speak to. Sound lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Maybe the pothole was near the Garda station and if someone can point to the Garda station on the map then he can point to the pothole on the map?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Just a warning on the Tuam-Dunmore road, there after "fixing it" again and it's deadly dangerous at the moment. I assume their not actually finished their road works but what they've done so far is fill in some of the ripped up road with some sort of tar/chips crap which of course is ripping up and creating a road covered in chippings which feels more like your driving on ice than tarmac.

Be careful on it I could feel the car moving around under me today.

Advertisement