Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining Boxing

Options
  • 06-09-2009 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I was just passing by this boxing forum and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good boxing clubs in dublin (northside) that would be good for like teenagers.

I'm 17 , 6ft 3 and 82 kgs last I checked. I play rugby but I've been wanting to do boxing for a very long time.

Cheers for any replies to this thread.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

gera wrote: »
    I was just passing by this boxing forum and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good boxing clubs in dublin (northside) that would be good for like teenagers.
    I'm 17 , 6ft 3 and 82 kgs last I checked. I play rugby but I've been wanting to do boxing for a very long time.
    Cheers for any replies to this thread.
    Where abouts on the northside there is loads of clubs so be more local and we can but it down to a few.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 gera

eh well i live in drumcondra but I heard the glasnevin and phibsboro boxing clubs weren't great and they're the only ones I know of to be honest with ye

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Hey there, was just wonderinng myself abt tryinng boxing for a while. I'm 25 and 6'3" and approx 16 stone and curious if I'm too old to start boxing? I used to play football when i was younger of course.
    I'm from Galway and was curious of any good clubs in the area and how much it can cost etc.
    Thanks for any replies lads..
    Sorry for buttin into an already existing tread btw:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 BayCity

Glasnevins a grand owl club. Theres 2 clubs in Ballymun aswell and then St. Saviours on Dorset Street, just at the flats ,which is a great club, quality training, sparring etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 granty85

Lads, I would also like to take up boxing and I am 24. Anyone know any decent boxing clubs that adults can join around the northside of dublin. I am from portmarnock so preferably out around north county dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭c1979

every couple of months people who are usually over 16 years of age post on this board. i am yadda yadda and want to join a boxing club.

this is great seriously fair fuc*s. arent yis all great but here's the thing.

look at the sticky that is a link to IABA contacts contact the nearest club to you and contact them.

for instance the last guy from Portmarnock, is there a club near me? yes in fuc*ing portmarnock you cant miss it is in the village. Robbie's contact detials are on iaba's website.

I am not being smart but nobody posts on the soccer forrum I am 21 and thinking of taking up soccer but i never played soccer before. to be honest lads starting boxing late is hard you don't play boxing you fight. chances are if you are 18 or over starting is that you will enjoy learning basic skills but will never be able to compete at any decent level compared to the kids who start at 10. there are exceptions to the rule but very few.

i feel this needed to be said as threads about taking up were becoming to commmon. but anyway best of luck lads

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fbfan78

was over in rivervally chipper today and noticed the sign on the wall for fingal boxing club in rivervalley community centre , does anyne know anything about this or have they been to the club? im living near by in boroimhe and would like to take up some form of martial arts or boxing, have been playing gaa the last 26 years (im32) and want to start sumtin new,, does anyone know if they welcome novices to boxing? or if anyone has any connection or info that be great cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

c1979 wrote: »
    every couple of months people who are usually over 16 years of age post on this board. i am yadda yadda and want to join a boxing club.

this is great seriously fair fuc*s. arent yis all great but here's the thing.

look at the sticky that is a link to IABA contacts contact the nearest club to you and contact them.

for instance the last guy from Portmarnock, is there a club near me? yes in fuc*ing portmarnock you cant miss it is in the village. Robbie's contact detials are on iaba's website.

I am not being smart but nobody posts on the soccer forrum I am 21 and thinking of taking up soccer but i never played soccer before. to be honest lads starting boxing late is hard you don't play boxing you fight. chances are if you are 18 or over starting is that you will enjoy learning basic skills but will never be able to compete at any decent level compared to the kids who start at 10. there are exceptions to the rule but very few.

i feel this needed to be said as threads about taking up were becoming to commmon. but anyway best of luck lads

biggrin.gif harsh but true. If you're that interested in taking up boxing it's not that hard to find stuff out online. If you can find the boxing forum on boards then you can find the IABA website. And if you can find that then you can get all the details you need.

Being 11ft 9 or 4 ft 2 and being 20 stone rugby player or a 12 stone triathlete is little to do with it. As c1979 said you don't play boxing you fight. You might pick up the technicalities but it's hard to make a fighter past a certain age.

Put it this way, I'm 29 now and boxed when I was younger and probably knocked it on the head about 6 years ago. The odd time I go back for a spar, despite knowing the technical stuff to some degree and having some experience, I find it unbelievably hard. Getting punched in the face and nailed on the short rib a lot isn't something a lot of people can deal with. And I list myself amongst those people now. Just because you're in shape and a tough person or whatever doesn't mean you're cut out for boxing. Maybe try the white collar stuff if you're looking for a scrap.

Give it a go by all means but don't expect much. If you can't google irish amateur boxing then I doubt you'd have enough commitment or genuine interest to get anywhere with it generally speaking.

Also, fbfan, if you want to know about Fingal boxing club then just ring Noel Coady on 086 176 1795

No point in asking on here when you can ask the man himself. He was the man in charge last time I knew anyway. If not then get the number off the flyer you saw or ring the centre and find out

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

c1979 wrote: »

I ask the above posters NOT to listen to this.

The IABA hold All-Ireland Novice Championships in the national stadium each year(Started last year).

This is open for boxers over the age of 17(maybe 18) who have 3years or less boxing experience and under 10 fights.

This is an All-Ireland title and is perfect for guys like you who are starting late, also gives you something attainable to work towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

There's alot of fairly negitive stuff on this thread and while I agree with some of it I think some is OTT. I took up boxing 3 years ago at the age of 25. Ye your never going to be going for a shot at the senior all ireland title but you can still learn alot and your going to be fighting guys at your level anyway.

As for not being able to take the shots, well thats just down to physical or mental weakness or lack of regular training, when ye start of course your going to feel shots but when your at it a while they don't phase you really

There's plenty of guys down my club that started late, they enjoy the sport and learn alot. It's a very rewarding thing to get involved in in many ways

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

I ask the above posters NOT to listen to this.

The IABA hold All-Ireland Novice Championships in the national stadium each year(Started last year).

This is open for boxers over the age of 17(maybe 18) who have 3years or less boxing experience and under 10 fights.

This is an All-Ireland title and is perfect for guys like you who are starting late, also gives you something attainable to work towards.

don't be fooled by the name! novice doesn't mean beginner. many of the lads winnin these tournaments have boxed a long time but just kept it to club shows. others have transferred from ufc/mma. novice my... while the experience can be good, comin up against someone boxin 3 years in the first round would be a shock to the system in all senses of the word.

c1979 - while you make a good point, part of the reason boards.ie exists is for advice. people trust what people here say more than a number on a flyer or a link on iaba. a boxin club might have a bad rep but a number or link won't tell ya that. people here will. if you're from the northside, lookin through cowzerps posts etc etc will no doubt push you to rush - you're not steppin into the unknown as much. joinin a boxin club isn't like joinin a 5 a side, its much more for a lot of people.

so lads, keep askin the same question as far as i'm concerned.

Re OP gera, try smithfield aba based in aughrim st stoneybatter at moment or any of others mentioned.

Advertisement