Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems using boards through linux.

Options
  • 11-08-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

Hello developers,
    Just wondering has there been any developments over the past month that may have caused linux users to have problems whilst using boards. At work all the machines are linux operated and boards has worked perfectly ever since Pighead started using boards.

About a month ago, pages started to load excruciatingly slowly and often don't load at all. If a page does load it takes about 90 seconds and it's rare for two pages to laod consecutively. Every other website works fine and it seems to be just boards which is why I'm thinking it's linux related. Anyway just wondering if you could shed any light on the problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Pighead wrote: »
    Hello developers,
    Just wondering has there been any developments over the past month that may have caused linux users to have problems whilst using boards. At work all the machines are linux operated and boards has worked perfectly ever since Pighead started using boards.

About a month ago, pages started to load excruciatingly slowly and often don't load at all. If a page does load it takes about 90 seconds and it's rare for two pages to laod consecutively. Every other website works fine and it seems to be just boards which is why I'm thinking it's linux related. Anyway just wondering if you could shed any light on the problem.

Well, I use Linux as my main machine in the office and we don't have a preferential connection to the boards.ie machines.

About a month ago, I changed the way we deal with spikes in traffic so perhaps one or more of your IP addresses is being throttled. I'll have a look at the IPs you post from and see if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Ah, yes, I see now.

The block of IPs you post from most of the time was one where someone had been spidering boards.ie from. It wasn't a smart spider either, just a fetch-every-page-as-fast-as-I-can one.

I'll ease off on the throttling so hopefully you won't see any problems in the future (provided of course that whoever has written that spider has stopped hitting us or has learned how to correctly implement a spider).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yep, that's sorted it alright. Working fine now.
    Thanks for your help Conor!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement