Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats in lahinch

Options
  • 06-07-2009 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

i was talking to a friend of mine who was in lahinch during the weekend and she claims that there is a problem with rats under the boulders on the beach.anyone heard anything

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

To answer your question: No, I didn't hear anything about rats in Lahinch.
    If there are any, well, that's country life.
    Where is your friend from? City?
    You see, there is wildlife in the country. Animals actually live under boulders and elsewhere. And they are not always rats. Some look like it though.

And for rats in general: They are commonly attracted by rubbish left by humans. Lahinch is a place like that, considerung the amount of weekend tourists who don't care about the environment and just dispose of their weekend rubbish even under boulders. And then they complain about rats...

Nothing personal. You didn't explain the experience in detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Someone should call in the Pied Piper. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

I've seen rats around the rocks numerous times but to be fair, they just scurry across a rock and disappear again. I wouldn't say it's a major problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭JoJo_27

There was something on Clare FM about it yesterday - a woman complaining that the rats virtually came up to take her childrens crisps out of their hands! The response from the council was that the warm weather and increased rubbish in lahinch due to the fine weather was the cause. If people cleaned up their rubbish from the beach it might help! Why, oh why do people think it's acceptable to leave dirty nappies, drink cans, empty food wrappers and God knows what else on the beach!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

In fairness the council could probably use a few more cleaners around the place. I've rarely been up there on a good day when the bins aren't all overflowing.

I think Ennis managed to up it's cleanliness largely due to good work by the council. There used to be rubbish everywhere when I was a child.

If things are already clean you're less likely to litter. If stuff isn't picked up by the council then everybodys standards drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

It shouldn't all be left to the Council. If you bring it with you take it home. People just have no cop on. It's disgusting. :mad:

Anytime we ever headed for the beach EVERYTHING came home including the dirty nappies!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

People are slobs when it comes to the beach, they think it's ok to just dump everything where they were, I heard a story (could be urban legend of course) of people who decided to bury a disposable barbecue in the sand and a child walk on it removing the soles of it's feet.

I don't think there's nearly enough bins there, if people had places to dump their rubbish they might, rather than messing up their beloved cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Why should it be up to clare co co or any co co have to provide bins people create rubbish they should take it home with them and dispose the rubbish in the correct manner.

People should only leave footprints on the beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I was there a week or 2 ago and saw a big rat run out from behind a rock to another one (the tide was coming in)

So what, it's just a rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭gailgo

its not just rats in the rocks,i was there a few weeks ago and a cockroche
    ran across my leg,that was the end of lahinch for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

saw one today and i swear it winked at me as i was eating my sandwich Yikes!!

fryup wrote: »
    saw one today and i swear it winked at me as i was eating my sandwich Yikes!!
    You should have given some, the poor starving critter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i've been rat-arsed on lahinch beach before. hope this helps.

zuroph wrote: »
    i've been rat-arsed on lahinch beach before. hope this helps.
    A rat crawled up your arse on lahinch beach :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Uh oh, I'm going to Lahinch on Friday :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭gailgo

well i ant going there no more yuck yuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

It pains me to say this but Lahinch has turned into a disgusting beach. I like the village and all but the seafront and the beach itself are so run down and dirty it really puts me off. Compare this to other beaches nearby, I avoid Lahinch like the plague anymore.
    Fanore , White strand even Spanish Point are all way ahead. Traffic, D reg BMW's everywhere,golfers -ugh

don't mean to go off topic but.......what really pisses me off about lahinch is, as a swimmer.....the amount of surfers there

its getting beyond a joke...surely they should designate a section of the beach for them and another section for swimmers...nearly got my head taken off the other day by one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

fryup wrote: »
    don't mean to go off topic but.......what really pisses me off about lahinch is, as a swimmer.....the amount of surfers there

its getting beyond a joke...surely they should designate a section of the beach for them and another section for swimmers...nearly got my head taken off the other day by one
    Do you not know that surfers own the sea, that they are the people that understand the sea the most, that swimmers, or god forbid, anyone else that use the water are in their way.

Between their jetski's, power boats that bring them around to their secret magic locations, to them changing out of their wet suits wherever they want (regardless of whether there's children around or not), to walking around with their boards almost taking the heads off people as they go past they are a menace in the sea, but you can't tell them that, they are one with nature, blah blah.

I agree, the sea is big enough for everyone, surfers should stay to their area, swimmers to theirs, jet skis to theirs, there's a whole lot of sea out there, plenty for everyone to go around, you don't have to go for the nearest point to where you've parked

All jokes aside.

People can die from rats piss if it gets into the bloodstream even when diluted. I would be very slow to let kids paddle in pools or play anywhere the rocks.

http://caving.ie/safety/weils.php

• Advertisement

Didn't a bouncer in town die from that years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

Other animals such as dogs and farm animals, especially cattle, may also be a source of infection and in some instances may constitute the major source.
    (...)
    Care should be taken when entering caves - particularly dry caves with stagnant water. Caves with farmyard run-off can also harbour the bacteria.

ALWAYS wear rubber gloves and good boots and wash and clean any cuts and grazes with antiseptic immediately on leaving the cave.

Ah now, I wouldn't be to paranoid about rats around the rocks by the sea. Tide pools aren't exactly stagnant water, only temporary stagnant.

Rats are generally quite unsavoury animals and carry a lot of deseases. But so do other animals, i.e. foxes. Not to mention humans ...

As others already mentioned here, rats are attracted by human waste. If humans would tidy up there wouldn't be rats around human settlements or other places.

But look at the bright side of it: There won't be snakes around in Lahinch or elswhere in Ireland. That would really freak ME out. :D

palaver wrote: »
    Ah now, I wouldn't be to paranoid about rats around the rocks by the sea. Tide pools aren't exactly stagnant water, only temporary stagnant.
    There are areas that dont get the tide and have stagnent pools with that green slime. kids are inclined to place objects and their mouths and also have a tendancy to fall and get abrasions, I would still be slow in letting them play around the same rocks that are plagued with rats.
    palaver wrote: »
    But look at the bright side of it: There won't be snakes around in Lahinch or elswhere in Ireland. That would really freak ME out. :D
    Except for the one eyed trouser snake :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭asmobhosca

personally i wouldnt bring kids near the rocks either, apart from rats people are always falling in the rocks in lahinch.
    In my opinion the nicest part of the beach in lahinch is after the end of the prom next to the golf course but its really only usable when the tide is out.

I actually think lahinch is cleaner now than it used to be, back in my childhood in the 80's it was much dirtier at least now people are a bit more conscious of rubbish littering etc.
    But after busy weekends it still gets littered.

But for swimming I prefer Clahane near liscannor, theres no sand but its much cleaner and quieter.

Clareman wrote: »
    Didn't a bouncer in town die from that years ago?
    That guy that did the door on Grace Mc Carthys.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

I was in Lahinch a few weeks ago and it was lovely. Anyway its a well known fact there is a rat 6 feet away from you all the time wherever you are:D.

Anyway its a well known fact there is a rat 6 feet away from you all the time wherever you are:D.
    Just like the new Garda surveillance cameras around town. :eek:

its the amount of surfers that spoil it for me, Spanish Point is getting that way too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Most of the rats in Lahinch, are from Limerick. I saw one carrying a knife :cool:

R1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭midgetflynn

As much as this makes my skin crawl, there are rats everyone, no matter where you go. That's life

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement