Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roche-Elliott-Kelly 400, Saturday 13th June, 4am.

Options
  • 01-06-2009 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭

From Paul O'Donoghue:
    Hi Folks,
    The REK 400 is on in 2 weeks time starting at the Stephen Roche Monument in Dundrum at 04.00hrs on the morning of Fri/Sat night (13th of June).This is a challenging event which will be taking in the Wicklow Mountains,the Blackstairs,the hills between the Barrow and Waterford/Kilkenny rd. along with the hilly bit between Mullinavat and Piltown.The route will then turn in Sean Kelly Square and head through the Kilkenny river valleys and over the Blackstairs to Blackwater(Co. Wexford) via Enniscorthy.From here we will be following the coast road to Arklow and home to Dundrum via the the Vales of Avoca &Clara.The route takes in most of the scenery Leinster has to offer from mountains,river valleys and coastline while the controls are at the monuments recording some of our greatest cyclists (Stephen Roche and Shea Elliot monuments and Sean Kelly Sq.).

Last year 4 riders started and completed this challenging and scenic adventure in roughly 22 hours despite some very adverse weather conditions.If anyone is interested at trying this route this year can they contact me.

I will have a more detailed routesheet beforehand and the time limit for this audax event is 27 hours as set by the Audax Club Parisien.Anyone requiring further info can email me.

Paul O'Donoghue

Not expecting too many takers for this one - 400 is a serious distance, generally considered the toughest for audax - but I'm going to give it a shot and I believe emty and Blorg are too. Lights required (you'd want to be pretty fast to complete this one before dark) and CI license also.

PM me for Paul's email if you're interested.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

rottenhat wrote: »
    From Paul O'Donoghue:

Not expecting too many takers for this one - 400 is a serious distance, generally considered the toughest for audax - but I'm going to give it a shot and I believe emty and Blorg are too. Lights required (you'd want to be pretty fast to complete this one before dark) and CI license also.

PM me for Paul's email if you're interested.

I thought I heard blorg and emty saying they are doing it on fixes.

Is it 400 kms or miles?

Sweet jesus, that's some route. Fair play to you guys for going for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

I thought I heard blorg and emty saying they are doing it on fixes.

Is it 400 kms or miles?

Kms...if you want 400 miles the National 600 will be on in early July.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Any chance of a map?

niceonetom wrote: »
    Any chance of a map?

I believe Ordinance Survey do some nice ones.

I will post the routesheet when it arrives but the one Paul actually attached to his email was for a different route, starting from Phibsboro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Any chance of a map?
    Sure why not do the WW200x2 next weekend? eh? Might as well, at least the road will be marked :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'm 70% in for this one, should be a challenge, but worthwhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If the forecast looks good... maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm in... certainly not on a fixie, I am not completely insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Any chance of a map?

ireland_map.jpg

Sorry,my brain is still a little woozy from today's spin.:p

• Advertisement

Here's the routesheet, as Excel and Word files.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Anyone fancy mapping that?

Well, chaps, that was an epic. I can't say that peeling myself out of bed at 2:40am is my idea of a good time, and I was bit taken aback to discover that my new light is so awesomely powerful that it knocks out the wireless on my bike computer, but apart from that, it was about as perfect a day for a 400 as you could imagine. There were seven of us all told, and to be honest, it was bit intimidating initially lining out with rouleurs like Paul O'Donoghue, Dave McLoughlin and the two Johns who have a stack of Paris-Brest-Paris, London-Edinburgh-London, Boston-Montreal-Boston, 24 hour timetrials etc etc under their belts, but the group stuck more or less together for the whole day. Which was just as well because the routesheet proved to be still a work in development with some very sketchy instructions along the southern stretches in particular and having Paul about to guide you through these sections was a considerable bonus.

The route took us out over Djouce and Shay Elliott before turning south through Macreddin and Aughrim to Bunclody. There was a brief shower on the run into Bunclody which proved to be the only rain we got for the day. We stopped in a hotel there for breakfast - I don't know what the other guests made of the seven guys in cycling rig demolishing the buffet, I would have asked for a discount on the room when I was checking out. From Bunclody we pushed on south through New Ross and Kiltealy over the hills to Mullinavat, Piltown and Carrick-on-Suir for lunch at the cafe next to the big plaque on Sean Kelly Square. 180km in at this point, when you'd usually be finishing up for the day, and we were sitting in the sunshine outside a cafe in Tipperary with 220km left to go.

Leaving Carrick we went north towards Kilkenny - this is where Junior spotted us - a series of long, long drags through Thomastown to Graiguenamanagh. Some of these went on so long that you lost all sense that there was flat road anywhere in the country - 3-4% grade is the new level. Dave calculated that the longest of these was 8km up followed by a 6km descent. After a stop for ice cream it was back through Kiltealy (King Kelly, I now have some sense what the Mount Leinster would be like in the sunshine, which is to say magnificent) to Enniscorthy and Blackwater. This was the worst section of the ride from me - the roads were rough as a badger's arse and after eleven or twelve hours in the saddle my own arse was getting a bit tender.

However the next section was perhaps the best of the day, powering along the rolling Wexford coast road, getting a generous push from the southerly breeze that had been blowing steadily through the day, lifting everyone's spirits. The sun was gradually sinking on the left, while to your right you could see lazily tumbling wind turbines and the deep blue of the Irish Sea. We took a jog inland at Courttown to get onto the backroads to Arklow and Rathdrum. By now it was after nine, lights back on the bike and jackets on as the temperature started dropping rapidly but somehow we kept up a stiff pace through Laragh, Roundwood and over the bog. Descending the Long Hill in the dark you could see the first lights of the city picked out against the hillside and by the time we reached the Poggio, it was shrouded in blackness. It was a weird feeling climbing it in the dark, seeing nothing but the few square metres illuminated by your light, unable to even see what gear you were in and hoping you'd picked the right one. emty and I were back at the Stephen Roche monument a hair past 11:30 for a total time of nineteen and a half hours and I think we were both pretty delirious with exhaustion and pride at that point - certainly I'm going to have trouble fitting my head through doorways for the next few days.

It's hard to convey what a great ride this was - so many new experiences, the camaraderie of a small group out on a mission, the beautiful weather. It was a striking feeling crossing some of the route of the Mount Leinster and remembering that the last time you were in Enniscorthy you had driven down. Actually there were quite a few nostalgic moments as we followed sections of rides from earlier in the season, the Ardattin 200, the Mick Byrne 200. Looking back now, I can't really fathom how we kept riding so strongly for so long but after a couple of hundred kilometres you don't seem to get much more tired. You make the demands on your body and the body keeps giving the answers. Anyway, the REK is a great route and I hope at least a couple of you will think about doing it next year - it's a challenge but believe me, if you can hack the Mick Byrne and you put the miles in during the Spring you can do this one, and you'll be well rewarded for the effort.

I know Caroline is fascinated/appalled by the kind of food I'm willing to shovel into myself in the course of a ride so for the record, here's what I ate yesterday:

One bowl of porridge, two bananas, two Nutrigrain Elevenses bars, second breakfast (two sausages, two rashers, black and white pudding, mushrooms, two hash browns, three mini pains-au-chocolat), lunch (BLT, potato wedges), a Mint Feast (yes, I am the person they brought them back for), a ham sandwich, then tortilla chips and salsa and a pizza when I got home. I drank about eight bottles of water (half with Nuun, half without), a double espresso, two cups of coffee, a cup of tea and a bottle of Club lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

That's hardcore - well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Legends. Incredibly impressive. Well done guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

well impressed there mate well done to all that took part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

Not much I can add to Rottenhats' post,it was as if I wrote it myself.Except there would have been more about me in it :D.
    Probably the thing that surprised me most about the whole event was how much I enjoyed it.Hard to put into words how good I felt being able to keep up such a pace for so long.25.47kpm average for 417km :eek:.Feel pretty good today,the base of my neck is a bit sore but that's about it :)

I have to say that I got a big kick out of the Boards jersey being spotted on such an event especially in the company of such established and esteemed clubs such as Sorrento and Orwell.The guys that Rottenhat mentioned in his post are serious cyclists and yet,you couldn't meet a nicer,more helpful bunch :).

Old Rottenhat put in a pretty remarkable performance yesterday,smashing this years PB by a long shot.At least I had the benefit of a 300 under my belt.He was great company all the way round and,crucially on these gigs,knows when not to talk :D.He finished very strongly,as I suspected he would and it was all I could do to hang onto his wheel on the Poggio.At least,I think it was him,was very hard to see at that point :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Awesome. To describe ye as Hard -Asses may sound disrespectful but after a ride like that there can be no other way ;-D

• Advertisement

Sorry for all the posts,just wanted to share what was a very special day.
    And lastly,just want to mention yesterdays wild card,David.Didn't get his last name but he is the guy without a helmet :eek:.He did this event last year in runners,on a flat-bar in atrocious conditions.He turned up this year a lot better prepaired but was still punching well above his weight.Which he did,with grace and good humour.Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

emty wrote: »
    He did this event last year in runners,on a flat-bar in atrocious conditions.
    i thought it sounded hard before..flat bar in runners...jebus, guy must be all shades of crazy, impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Chapeau guys -very well done, and great pics emty!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Bravo. Stunning stuff lads .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Congratulations Emty & Rottenhat. Well 'ard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

That takes some effort man !

Fairplay to ye both, I hadn't don't more than about an 80k spin and I got lumped into doing 150k yesterday. Ye hit some hilly roads around Carrick, Kilkenny, but ye were certainly heading the right way, that gusty tailwind must have helped, cos I was feeling dragging the group along at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

rottenhat wrote: »

The route took us out over Djouce and Shay Elliott before turning south through Macreddin and Aughrim to Bunclody. There was a brief shower on the run into Bunclody which proved to be the only rain we got for the day. We stopped in a hotel there for breakfast - I don't know what the other guests made of the seven guys in cycling rig demolishing the buffet, I would have asked for a discount on the room when I was checking out. From Bunclody we pushed on south through New Ross and Kiltealy over the hills to Mullinavat, Piltown and Carrick-on-Suir for lunch at the cafe next to the big plaque on Sean Kelly Square. 180km in at this point, when you'd usually be finishing up for the day, and we were sitting in the sunshine outside a cafe in Waterford* with 220km left to go.

Wow, fair play!

*But (ahem) Tipperary :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Yes well done, I remember over 20 years ago doing those sort of runs with Eddie Dunne and co, they were different days, less traffic,remember doing the The Millennium 1000Km in 88 and a 12OOkm after that.

Well done to all who did it.

Was one of those Johns John Bayley of http://www.blayleys.com/about/john.htm ?

Congrats again.:):):) JD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

emty wrote: »
    ....25.47kpm average for 417km ...
    Now that is impressive. Well done emty and rottenhat. Hard men.
    Marmotte should be a breeze emty. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Sterling stuff

Advertisement