Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mazda 6 1.8 timing belt

• 08-06-2009 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Hi lads I m just about to purchase Mazda 6 1.8l petrol with 67k miles.
    My question is does this model has a timing belt or timing chain and how often does it need to be replaced?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1.8 litre uses a timing chain afaik which should be good for the life of the engine but I would ring a Mazda dealer to be absolutely certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

bazz26 wrote: »
    The 1.8 litre uses a timing chain afaik which should be good for the life of the engine but I would ring a Mazda dealer to be absolutely certain.

Thanks ;) I will definately ring them tommorrow to make sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Bobo78 wrote: »
    Thanks ;) I will definately ring them tommorrow to make sure.
    I am on my second Mazda 6 and was told by the dealer that the timing chain never needs replacing.

Hi lads, I have one more question regarding Mazda 6.
    How often do spark plugs need to be changed on this car?
    The car has done 67 k miles now and plugs were changed at 40 something k miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭felim

Bobo78 wrote: »
    Hi lads, I have one more question regarding Mazda 6.
    How often do spark plugs need to be changed on this car?
    The car has done 67 k miles now and plugs were changed at 40 something k miles.

Your manual should tell you.

I have a Mazda 3 and the manual says change plugs at 75,000 but apparently some later model 3s went out with longer lasting plugs that only need to be changed at 120,000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Change em. Even long life ones are typically only good for around 20k miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

felim wrote: »
    Your manual should tell you.

I have a Mazda 3 and the manual says change plugs at 75,000 but apparently some later model 3s went out with longer lasting plugs that only need to be changed at 120,000.

From new? Wow... things have moved on since I owned a petrol! :D Wouldn't they need to be taken out and cleaned a bit though before then?

Yeah I guess I m gonna replace them so.
    One more question are Mazda 6 1.8 heavy on petrol or should they be quite light on petrol as many people say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭felim

Biro wrote: »
    Change em. Even long life ones are typically only good for around 20k miles.

Iridium spark plugs can last 120,000 miles. My car has 69,000 miles on it and the plugs have yet to be changed. I asked my mechanic should I change them last service(65,000) and was told to leave them till next service as per Mazda's recommendation.

The older copper plugs would only have a life of 20,000 but I don't think there's many manufacturers using those anymore.

Hi lads, I v got small problem with my Mazda 6.
    When I press the clutch it s making clicking noise.
    It seems that it s not always there and its most obvious when the car is cold and when I press the clutch while the engine is not on.
    You cant really hear it that much from the inside as much as you can from outside.
    Do you know what can be the problem??
    I m taking the car back to the garage to see what it is.
    Any info is helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement