Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-02-2009, 12:10   #1
The Waxbill

Night rate electricity

I was wondering what peoples opinions were on getting in the night rate meter that the ESB have? I was thinking of getting one. i think the deal is they charge you a cent extra during the day but the rate is half during the night. I think the standing charge is increased a bit too. I wonder is it worth changing over, would it save money on the bill? It's free to change over but they charge 200euro to change back again to the day rate. Anyone?

Ger.
Advertisement
25-02-2009, 18:23   #2
Davy
Category Moderator

Everything you said is correct. You have all the info, you just need to use as much as you can between Night rate hours 11pm to 8am in wintertime and 12am to 9am in summertime. Make a list of everything and work of how you get it to best advantage. Dishwasher, washing machine, immersion etc
Thanks from:
26-02-2009, 13:11   #3
Yearning4Stormy

Hey. I changed over to night rate last spring after a ridiculously high post-Christmas ESB bill. As far as I can remember, I paid the €200 switchover charge for the digital meter though.

As the previous poster mentioned, I changed as many “heavy” appliances as possible to timers – dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer only coming on after 1am. However, to be honest, I was expecting a bigger saving. I’d hazard a guess that whatever I’m saving is being absorbed by the doubled standing charge.

If you’re interested in cutting down on your ESB bills, I’d more recommend the Owl electricity monitoring yoke: eye-opening

Last edited by Yearning4Stormy; 26-02-2009 at 13:13. Reason: Superfluous tags
Thanks from:
26-02-2009, 18:52   #4
Fnergg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waxbill View Post
I was wondering what peoples opinions were on getting in the night rate meter that the ESB have? I was thinking of getting one. i think the deal is they charge you a cent extra during the day but the rate is half during the night. I think the standing charge is increased a bit too. I wonder is it worth changing over, would it save money on the bill? It's free to change over but they charge 200euro to change back again to the day rate. Anyone? Ger.
Frankly, they suit very few households. You need to be using about 4 units minimum between the night hours (11pm to 8am in Winter and Midnight to 9am in Summer) every night of the year to make it pay. If you can't do that don't bother.

Before applying for one do the following test for a week or so: shift as much usage as you can to after 11pm and before 8am. Take a meter reading at 11pm and another at 8am. Have you been able to use more than 4 units consistently every night? Do you think you could sustain that throughout the year and not just in Winter? If so, apply for the meter.

Be mindful of safety considerations also. Electrical appliances like washing machines and tumbler dryers should not be left unattended while in use.

Regards,

Fnergg
(4) thanks from:
26-02-2009, 21:37   #5
The Waxbill

Thanks to all for your replies, I'll think I'll give it a miss.

Ger.
Advertisement
27-02-2009, 14:47   #6
davelerave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnergg View Post
Frankly, they suit very few households. You need to be using about 4 units minimum between the night hours (11pm to 8am in Winter and Midnight to 9am in Summer) every night of the year to make it pay. If you can't do that don't bother.

Before applying for one do the following test for a week or so: shift as much usage as you can to after 11pm and before 8am. Take a meter reading at 11pm and another at 8am. Have you been able to use more than 4 units consistently every night? Do you think you could sustain that throughout the year and not just in Winter? If so, apply for the meter.

Be mindful of safety considerations also. Electrical appliances like washing machines and tumbler dryers should not be left unattended while in use.

Regards,

Fnergg
i agree .nightsaver is suitable where there's a defined off-peak load such as water heating,electric aga or heat pump .in addition to using appliances while 'attended'
22-05-2009, 20:44   #7
Dellas

I got the meter switched over on Wednesday. Since then I have only switched on the dishwasher/Tumble Dryer/Washing machine/Phone chargers after midnight. Looked at the new digital meter tonight and I have used 33 Units. 17 during the day and 16 on the night tarriff so for me it seems good so far. Nearly 50% is going on the nightsaver.

Im impressed with the new meter as you can actually see clearly whats going onto what tarriff.
23-05-2009, 09:52   #8
davelerave

keep in mind that appliances should not be left unattended to make the saving unless designed for off-peak use.that is the downside of trying to maximize the saving without a defined off -peak load like water heating
23-05-2009, 15:16   #9
Mike 1972
Banned

Its a common misconcption that nightsaver/Economy 7 is only for storage heaters. But If one is regualrly up at odd-hours (shift workers etc) or can get away with running washing machines/tumble driers etc at night then there is a lot to be said for it.

Mind you having fixed times/only two rates is a tad antiquated. There is really no good reason in this day and age why all new customers arent given meters which can be remotly programmed to charge different rates at different times according to supply/demand. Nor is there any good reason why this should cost more than having a conventional meter.
Advertisement
23-05-2009, 15:24   #10
Davy
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 1972 View Post
Its a common misconcption that nightsaver/Economy 7 is only for storage heaters. But If one is regualrly up at odd-hours (shift workers etc) or can get away with running washing machines/tumble driers etc at night then there is a lot to be said for it.
Nightsaver and Night storage heating are two different tariffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 1972 View Post
Mind you having fixed times/only two rates is a tad antiquated. There is really no good reason in this day and age why all new customers arent given meters which can be remotly programmed to charge different rates at different times according to supply/demand. Nor is there any good reason why this should cost more than having a conventional meter.
This is the goal. This is what the minister is aiming for. It requires installing a smart meter, which is only being trialled at the minute.
23-05-2009, 18:52   #11
Dellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelerave View Post
keep in mind that appliances should not be left unattended to make the saving unless designed for off-peak use.that is the downside of trying to maximize the saving without a defined off -peak load like water heating
My mate is always up til 2am so I flick everything on at midnight and my mate makes sure they are ok. I would never go to bed without anyone being up whilst these machines were on. I have had a dishwasher go on fire last year so I know exactly what can happen !
14-01-2010, 21:12   #12
areaman

it's rigged

I was also thinking of getting that nightmeter put in, but having done the numbers the savings are marginal at best. Based on my current usuage, if I can switch a third of my electrics to night use - dryer, dishwasher, washing machine - then the savings over a year would be about €120 euros. Of course, if the ESB/Bord Gais didn't up the rates for the day use and increase the standing charges for no apparant reason, it might actually be worth doing. As it is, also considering it costs about €250 to switch meters I doubt anyone is going to go for this. Nice work ESB.
14-01-2010, 22:21   #13
Rev. BlueJeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by areaman View Post
its rigged
No it isn't.
15-01-2010, 11:01   #14
areaman

?

care to elaborate?
15-01-2010, 12:28   #15
davelerave

switching is free afaik

if you have regular off -peak usage like heat pumps,electric aga or electric water heating then switching makes sense

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion