Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please for the animals sake research before buying/rescuing.

Options
  • 23-02-2009 5:57pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As the title says.

Please,please,please research before buying your animals.

Theres 2 threads going that just go to show why so many animals end up in shelters.One about cats and another one about a puppy.

To anyone considering buying/rescuing an animal heres some pointers.

1.Cats do and will scratch,poo and pee in their litter trays--if you leave the tray in an area that people have access to then yes you are going to have a smelly room.They leave hair everywhere.They`ll destroy your best rug and curtains with their claws.

2.Puppies will poo and pee everywhere while theyre young.They`ll eat your best shoes,handbag,50 pound notes (happened me)a drill,a wall,a window sill,my wallet.

But please dont give up on the animals because of this,because at the end of the day the enjoyment they give to someone as a companion goes way beyond the destruction, the smell and the hair everywhere.
    Persevere with the above until they get out of it and you`ll never look back.

Just something I wanted to get off my chest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Just want to point out that even with considerable research and forethought the first few weeks of adjustment can be stressful (both for you and your animal). It's definitely well worth it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Well said Hellrazer. Remember people that you poo'd & peed everywhere until you learnt not to. There is no excuse these days for not buying a book or looking on the net to find out what a pet involves BEFORE you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

Just another point if you are buying a pedigree animal, RESEARCH THE BREEDER!!

Don't just look at pictures on the internet and pick the cutest or the cheapest as the case may be.

Contact kennel clubs, vets, breeders. Ask loads of questions, demand health checks.

There are too many dogs dying from genetic diseases and too many backyard breeders who are geting away with it.

Don't put more money into their pockets, it's only encouraging them to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I know someone who bought a St Bernard from a guy who claimed to be the President of the Irish St Bernard Association - or something very similar. The buyer went to him as they wanted to be sure that they were buying a good dog. Now & several thousand euro later they know that the man is a fake, the dogs papers are fake, & the dog has serious genetic disorders - they have already spent over 5000 in vet bills.

Also the sweet puppy that you see in a nice person's home with it's mum may well be a puppy farm dog & the bitch is not even it's mother. After all you not going to go to a puppy farm to buy so they make it seem really innocent.

Do loads of research & check anything that you are told.

Mods this needs to be a sticky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Thanks for posting this, Hellrazer.

Animals are a huge commitment. A large dog could be an 8st €120-worth-of-food-a-month family member for 15 years.

We all look at puppies and kittens and think they're cute and sweet and, while they are, they also poo, pee, vomit, scratch, bark, spray, chew, whine nip and dig. They're expensive to feed and house, they need equipment and insurance, vet bills alone for a puppy would probably keep a child in a creche for months. You get attached to them and they break your heart and given you a million laughs but they're very hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some good points made, also for anyone who is overlly house proud just don't bother getting any pet. I am so tired of hearing online and offline about people so concerned about having one pet and that one pet making a mess everywhere. If you don't like bits of hay on the floor don't get rabbits or guineas if you don't like woodchips on the floor don't get a hamster or gerbil (even using a tank you might get the occasional piece of bedding on the floor) if you don't like pee and poop don't get a cat or dog in fact don't even bother buying on of those fur real toys because they might shed shock horror.

If you are serious about getting a puppy it's understandable you don't want the whole house covered in pee esp. when at the training stage so before even getting a puppy get some tiles or lino on at least one of the bigger rooms in the house where the family will be a lot. Invest in a mop and bucket and save your newspapers. A puppy pen or door gate for the early months comes in handy as does a dog crate esp. for travelling in the car to keep your car clean and the dog safe.

But be prepared even the healthiest well behaved animal can end up puking on your bed or piddling on the floor, heck some humans are worse when they've come in from a night on the beer.

Also, don't just rely on one book, one website or one persons opinion try and get your hands on a few books, search through a good few websites and talk to a variety of people who have the same pet that way you'll have a wider idea of what to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

Just want to point out that even with considerable research and forethought the first few weeks of adjustment can be stressful (both for you and your animal). It's definitely well worth it though :)

you bet i have done reading and reading for about 12 YEARS before i bought my beardies and even now after 6 months they still suprise me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭CATWOMEN

brought my two puppies last Saturday .
    they came from a litter of eight puppies
    I was only going to take one but couldn't the other on its own.
    have adopted two dogs already.
    lab/springer cross five years ago
    jack Russell three years ago.
    When i brought them home, first thing was to clear the floor of cables
    and anything that they could chew or hurt them selves with.
    Then every time they peed or pooed i put newspaper down
    let them have a sniff. then dump paper wash and dry the area.
    The next day they only did there business on the paper.
    the floor gets a complete wash down and dry every night.
    Yes it is a lot of work but its worth every minute of it.
    at the end of the day i bring them in and they sit on my knee snuggle in
    and go to sleep. its one of the best feelings in the world.biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

we didn't have the time to research before we got our cat... the little thing turned up at our door at about 2 weeks old, we had no idea what to do with him or how to look after him, he was so tiny, we took him in and started to take care of him. The first week was tiring, reading up about how to look after a little kitten.

He is now 7 months old and is well trained, he does his thing in the litter tray without any problem, he has had his jabs and has had the snip, the vet commented on how well he is being looked after.

You know, he gives us so much pleasure, defiantly worth the effort. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

CamperMan wrote: »
    we didn't have the time to research before we got our cat... the little thing turned up at our door at about 2 weeks old, we had no idea what to do with him or how to look after him, he was so tiny, we took him in and started to take care of him. The first week was tiring, reading up about how to look after a little kitten.

He is now 7 months old and is well trained, he does his thing in the litter tray without any problem, he has had his jabs and has had the snip, the vet commented on how well he is being looked after.

You know, he gives us so much pleasure, defiantly worth the effort. :)
    Jaysus camperman. I don't really like cats(except my 2 :D), but that is a gorgeous cat! The colour with the white is lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Rory123 wrote: »
    Jaysus camperman. I don't really like cats(except my 2 :D), but that is a gorgeous cat! The colour with the white is lovely.

I know.... a real cutey, affectionate, fun to be with, lovely colour, lovely coat, nice colour eyes.

here is another pic of him when he was younger...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jacomi

hey i have been havin a really bad time lately trying to find a dog that suits my family we have a 2 year old daughter + was basically refused a dog from the ispca because of that. we really wanted to adopt a dog my daughter may be young but she adores dogs, she has been surrounded by them since she was born. Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jacomi

hey i hve been having a relly hard time adopting, we really wanted to adopt rather than buy but have been hitting brick walls everywhere. we live in wexford town + were basically denied a dog from wspca because we have a 2 year old, which upset us both because our daughter loves dogs + has been surrounded by them all her life we both grew up with dogs + would love for her to aswell has anybody got any advice for us as we have been looking since february!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Have you tried Have you tried http://www.wexfordpethelpers.net/ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Marryhappy .. i totally agree with you, there are so many breeders out there to make a quick buck out of people who simply do not put the time into researching before committing to buying a dog :mad:. I am sick of hearing numerous stories of people having to fork out for vets bills for their dogs, sdue to illnesses that would have been detected if the pup had been health screened prior to buying (dont get me wrong here, my heart goes out to the poor little things who are sick, the ignorance of the owners just annoys me)

There are so many pedigree breeds that are prone to particular illnesses/diseases :(.

Also i think it is about time people were demanding a proper VAT receipt from breeders. Any earnings amde are straight into their pocket, no declaration at all .. not that i am promoting giving our crooked government money but i hate people who exploit animals for their own financial benefit!

Advertisement