Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New7Wonders - Vote for the Cliffs of Moher!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

rossie1977 wrote: »
    natural wonders, last year was manmade

looking through the list i am stunned at some of the omissions, where is Teide National Park in tenerife and why is Mt. Vesuvius ahead of it?? been to both no comparison, the area around teide is like something from another planet, flying into tenerife all you can see for hundreds of miles is the 12,000ft volcanic peak towering in the distance, vesuvius is nice and all and probably gets in on name value and the whole pompeii thing

There was some prevote to this , these are the finalists all 200 odd of them.... anyway lets get voting

remember a nation once again....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Saibh wrote: »
    What position did Ireland come in the Monopoly board?

Dublin came 22nd. Top 20 were picked.

Our school even announced this on the intercom!! "If you want Dublin on the new monopoly board got to monopoly.com"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Goose81

The Cliffs of Moher used to be a great place for local strollers from Ennis and surrounding towns who would also use the restaurant for snacks, This was before they built the interpretive center and charged rip off E8 parking rates.

The barriers are really slow,we were just there.
    You can just follow some foreigner who has paid.We got 3 cars through.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

We should vote for a sheep in roscommon or a patch of grass in wicklow. It'd be a complete wtf for anyone else reading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Actually yes. That would be the most perfect thing in Ireland to put forward.

Was never a fan of the reconstruction work on it though... Looks like a McDonalds Drive Thru from the 1980s.

EDIT: Oh natural wonders... hasn't got much to do with the original 7 wonders then...

???? why what did it look like before??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

They have a final 7. If christ the redeemer is in there it cannot be taken seriously! I read this on wiki:
    In Brazil there was a campaign Vote no Cristo (Vote for the Christ) which had the support of private companies, namely telecommunications operators that stopped charging voters to make telephone calls to vote.[21] Additionally, leading corporate sponsors including Banco Bradesco and Rede Globo spent millions of dollars in the effort to have the statue voted into the top seven.[1] Newsweek reports the campaign was so pervasive that:
    “ One morning in June, Rio de Janeiro residents awoke to a beeping text message on their cell phones: “Press 4916 and vote for Christ. It’s free!” The same pitch had been popping up all over the city since late January—flashing across an electronic screen every time city-dwellers swiped their transit cards on city buses and echoing on TV infomercials that featured a reality-show celebrity posing next to the city’s trademark Christ the Redeemer statue.[1] ”

According to an article in Newsweek, around 10 million Brazilians had voted in the contest by early July.[1] This number is estimated as the New7Wonders Foundation never released such details about the campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

"Moherman" adverts seem to be all over the place on billboards and the internet, including frequently defacing this site. Is it fair
    to say that someone is putting a lot of money into trying to make this thing viral, and failing dismally.

Is there anywhere we can go to ask them to stop? At this stage I'd rather vote for the slag pile on Haulbowline than this
    annoying commercial promotion that refuses to go away.

Slag pile on Haulbowline!!! Yahoo!!! Go on, go on, go on!!!

slag_heap_close_up.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

Quint wrote: »
    They have a final 7. If christ the redeemer is in there it cannot be taken seriously!

Totally agree - the Christ statue was probably erected over the course of a weekend, airlifting in some precast concrete. The fact that this beat the enormous, amazing achievement of the city of Angkor removes any credibility from the whole thing.

The last time I checked (in Feb), the top position in the seascapes, rivers and waterfalls section was taken up by the Ganges river, in number 3 was the Danube, and in 4th place was the amazing Iguazu falls, with the Cliffs somewhere towards the bottom. Obviously those rivers are important to the people that rely on them, but to call them natural wonders is a stretch.

The new7wonders is like a tourism eurovision contest with block voting all over the place.. I can only hope that the designated 'winners' aren't recognised as such for as long as the original 7 wonders have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I have an irish monopoly board, am I special?

Advertisement