Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie to vegan

Options
  • 22-03-2009 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

My OH is away for a few weeks and I figured that now would be as good a time as any to explore a vegan diet. I can do it at my own pace and not have to make allowances for someone else while I'm still finding my feet.

There are a few reasons for my considering becoming vegan.

I hate the thought of consuming milk, this has become worse lately, I haven't had a bowl of cereal or milk in tea/coffee for years, but still consume it in cheese and other products. (And I enjoy the odd latte). The idea of where it comes from and whats in it -> http://www.milksucks.com/pus.asp granted it's american but still, I'd imagine it's similar here.

The idea of supporting an industry I hate, even by not consuming the animal itself has been playing on my mind lately. Veal calves etc.

I have a few questions, how much more expensive is a vegan diet. I can't afford to get cheese milk etc for the OH and vegan alternatives myself. Can you have a varied diet just by cutting animal products or do you really need the alternatives (my main concern is cheese, I love the taste!)

I am concerned about protein levels, is a multivitamin enough, or will I need to get something better to ensure I'm not missing out on anything?

Is there anything you can get in takeaways? I love indians, but are their sauces vegan? What about chips, or bread, handy foods like that.

Any tips to get me started would be appreciated. I'm not sure how far I will go with it, but would like to try it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I don't think the vegan diet is that expensive, like anything you have to shop around and find the bargins! I get my soya milk from Aldi, 89cent a litre, I get soya butter/margarine from the supermarket, I get the Pure range, its the same price as normal butter/margarine. I don't eat that much soya cheese, even though I ate cheese all the time when I wasn't vegan, when I went vegan it wasn't abount finding repalcements for the food I currently ate but more about eating a different range of food I never ate before.

You can get protein from loads of sources, chickpeas, tofu, tempeh, TVP, lentils, benas etc. Its not hard to include lots of those sources in your diet, so I think you should be ok about protein.

As for takeaways, you'll need to watch out for egg noodles in Chineses and some Indian dishes are made with ghee, which is clarified butter, so you'll need to ask to make sure. Naan bread might have yoghurt in it as well as some dishes so thats something else to look out for.

Chips are generally ok, once they aren't fryed in animal fat. Bread is also generally ok, most white and brown loaves are vegan, Hovis actually label their bread vegan if it is. Watch out for soda bread as that might have buttermilk in it.

The Vegan Soceity do a Animal Free Shopper book: http://www.vegansociety.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=238
    Theres also a Animal Free Shoppper website:http://www.animalfreeshopper.com/html/

Best of luck with it, you might find it a bit hard to begin with so hope that doesn't put you off!
    If there is anything else you'd like to know, just ask, theres a few pther vegans lurking around here that I'm sure will help you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

I was vegan for years before becoming a raw foodist and I am recalling some of the meals that I had developed a taste for that you may consider.
    I liked to have peanut butter on toast with Whole Earth baked beans on top.
    I bought dairy free soda bread from The Alternative Bread Company in Dunne's and liked to have it with a little vegan pesto and topped with the asparagus from the jar.
    I bought the vegan mayonnaise and would add some curry powder to it and put in diced potatoes, peas, carrots and chopped onion.
    I would make a pizza by putting spicy salsa on pitta bread, adding sliced tomatoes and topping with the soya cheese (but I would not do that very often as those cheeses have lots of artificial additives).
    I loved M&S hummus
    It would be even better for your health if you decided to go more natural and avoid the processed replacement foods. It can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Parnassia

I have a few questions, how much more expensive is a vegan diet. I can't afford to get cheese milk etc for the OH and vegan alternatives myself. Can you have a varied diet just by cutting animal products or do you really need the alternatives (my main concern is cheese, I love the taste!)

I am concerned about protein levels, is a multivitamin enough, or will I need to get something better to ensure I'm not missing out on anything?

Is there anything you can get in takeaways? I love indians, but are their sauces vegan? What about chips, or bread, handy foods like that.

Any tips to get me started would be appreciated. I'm not sure how far I will go with it, but would like to try it.

Thanks

I don't think being vegan is more expensive, unless you eat a lot of processed foods. I buy Alpro soya milk (they're allegedly more responsible about sourcing soya beans), and it lasts over a week opened in the fridge, so it's fine for cereals etc. I use it in cooking, baking, on cereal, in tea (it curdles in coffee though!) Alpro yoghurts and pudding/desserts are good too.

Vegan cheeses are a bit of an acquired taste (!) I would recommend staying away from them for a few months, when I first tried them I hated them, but after giving up cheese for a long time I tried again, and they're not too bad! You might like them straight off though. I only buy them once every month or so, so it's not too expensive. If you miss cheese on sandwiches, try avocado or hummus - replace the greasy saltiness with something else greasy and salty!

Protein shouldn't be a problem if you're eating a varied diet. Beans/tofu/lentils/TVP/nuts/seeds are all good for protein.

I take a supplement with B12 and vitamin D, and a calcium one when I remember/when I don't use much soya milk (it is supplemented with calcium). The vegan society do a cheap multivitamin aimed at vegans.

You can track your foods on a website like fitday.com, this will give you an overview of how your nutrition is, and highlight areas that you need to concentrate on.

Eating out and takeaways can be a bit more difficult, but I always just ask if they can accommodate me. Most indians can do dishes without dairy/butter/ghee if you ask. Naan bread sometimes has yoghurt, and usually comes with butter on top, so ask. Pizza is usually ok without the cheese. Thai food often uses fish sauce, so that's something else to be aware of.

It's probably all a bit overwhelming when you're starting off. It might be easier to concentrate on making sure the stuff you buy in the supermarket is vegan first, then you can tackle other areas. It involves a LOT of label reading, but it gets much quicker and easier!

If you have any questions just ask, and good luck!

Thanks so much! You're all very helpful.

My cupboards are almost empty so now is a perfect time to start. I'll get a basic shop this evening and see how I go. I'll just have to ignore that jar of tikka masalla sauce still in my fridge :)

I'm sure I will find a website with recommendations for a basic vegan shopping list.

The only thing I can think that could be the undoing of me - CHOCOLATE :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Get some dark Divine Chocolate (Oxfam fairtrade and most large Dunnes have it). Pick up some Bourbon Creams too (check the ingredients, some contain the milk powder, some don't). Original Hobnobs too :) So long as your sweet tooth is satisfied, the rest is easy ;)

The diet is not at all more expensive. It can be pricey is you want to dish out and buy alternatives but that is up to personal taste.

I'd recommend taking some Veg1 (vegan society shop) if you are worried about vitamins.

As one of your first vegan meals I'd recommend a home made pizza with your fav toppings (mine would be tomato puree, pineapple, onion, sweetcorn, tomato slices) and see that it can indeed be delicious without cheese :) I think that the fake cheeses do home made pizzas no favours.

As for protein, just keep a good intake of pulses; flageolet beans, chickpeas, butterbeans, blackeyed beans etc. Buy them dried, soak and cook them first or buy tins. Throw them into whatever sauce you are making. Or perhaps even make yourself some bean burgers with them. Cous cous and quinoa also have high amounts of protein and are very easy to prepare.

Takeaways - you have to be prepared to ask questions to check the ingredients.

Bread - soda bread is made with butter milk, but most others would be fine. You might have to watch out for an egg or milk glaze (often used to hold poppy seeds on top).

As for stocking the cupboard; I recommend the sweet things already mentioned, plenty of veg (grilled courgette is divine :)), pasta and sauces (Jamie Oliver has a lovely new range), cream crackers for a snack. Pure spread is a must, unless your local health food store stocks some Suma sunflower spread at a decent price (the most delicious spread).

Get into making your own oatmilk if you suddenly need milk for a white sauce (soak 1 cup oats with 2 cups water and a pinch of salt for a while then strain. I find the oats can be soaked a second time).

Any more Qs fire away!!!!

Oh, I also recommend Maple Frosted Flakes :) Bit of fun, expensive. http://www.wholeearthfoods.com/products/cereals/organic-maple-frosted-flakes/ I picked my first box up in the cereal section of a large Dunnes (Cournelscourt).

Thanks again, got a few bits in dunnes, going to take your advice and have a pizza for dinner.

There was a few different soya products, so I stuck with alpro having heard of it before.

I got choccy yoghurts, so if they are good, I see no reason I can't stick with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

I think that the fake cheeses do home made pizzas no favours.
    !!!!

I have not checked the pizzas here but I did notice that the "dairy free" pizzas in the US contain milk protein. I assume that they are designed for people with allergies and not for vegans.

Which still wouldn't make sense because milk protein would cause an allergic reaction. Perhaps it was aiming for a low-fat option.

• Advertisement

Soya yoghurts are disgusting!!! A strange metallic undertaste.

I cheated last night & had some shortbread. Then today I discovered celtic chocolate. YUMMY! back on track.

Funny, I haven't eaten meat in ages and never ever crave, I stopped on dairy 2 days ago, and had a terrible craving for a bacon sambo. :o I don't even like the smell of it usually!

Whats the difference between a lacto-ovo veggie and a vegan?

Can you cook with soya cream (was thinking of frying up a bit of garlic & onion, loads of tomato & basil then adding cream & pasta, but I know when I tried to put it into coffee it curdled, will it do that with the heat from cooking?)

It took me half an hour to buy lunch today with all the label reading. I ended up with tomato on toast (not sure if that has dairy in it?) with kelkin mayo (suprisingly nice) but if it takes me that long to chhose food and I end up with a sambo, I'm in trouble! Any handy lunch snack tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Lacto-ovo veggies don't eat meat or fish but eat eggs and dairy products, vegans don't eat any of those things.

This site http://www.vegcooking.com/veganMenus-1.asp is very good for starters, if you ignore the PETA links, gives nice simple recipes and lists of ingredients to avoid, as well as lists of snack ideas.

veganchef.com is brilliant as well, especially the salads and sandwiches sections, really unusual ideas, great for new flavour combinations!

fitday is also quite good just to check if you're getting all the vitamins you need, as someone said before as long as you're getting a variety of nuts, pulses and grains you shouldn't have any problem with protein.

Re:chocolate, vegan carob is easy to find in health food shops and it's nyommy. Doesn't taste much like chocolate, but it's good for a fatty, sweet hit, which you just don't get from dark chocolate IMO.

Personally, today I had porridge made with soya milk, with dried fruit and nuts mixed through, and black coffee. Lunch was celery with peanutbutter, dinner was mammy's best home-made nutburgers with fried veg and tomato sauce, and that was on total auto-pilot, open-the-cupboard-and-throw-something-in-a-pot mode. After a while it just becomes habit, you don't even think about it anymore. A general rule of thumb is go for the least processed food-fruit, veg, nuts, beans, rice etc, and get the most variety you can!

Good luck! It's really worth it, you won't believe how good you feel in a couple weeks!

Yes, celtic chocolates :) Have you seent their selection box?! Useful if you need to indulge. About €5.50 for a box, though I'm not sure how widely available they are now (Large Dunnes and Hollant and Barrett had it at Christmas). http://www.novelty-gifts-heaven.com/acatalog/free-from-chocolate-box.jpg
    Info: Celtic Chocolates Summerhill Co Meath Contact: Joe Callery Tel: 0405 57077 Fax: 0405 57591 Email: celtchoc@iol.ie Established 1990

yum yum yum...

Oh! And dark chocolate covered rice cakes! You can get normal sized ones, and little ones in chrip type packets. And Dark chocolate and orange ones... perfect for a munch at the cinema :D

Whats the difference between a lacto-ovo veggie and a vegan?

As mentioned, a lacto-ovo veggie is one who eats egg and dairy. I imagine you were trying to look at the difference between veggie who doesn't eat dairy or eggs and a vegan? Well, honey is the first thing which is majorly different. But as a vegan, golden syrup works wonders on toast. Another thing would be avoiding wearing wool or silk. Also, lanolin is something which is often in toiletries which is derived from wool. Basically - nothing from an animal. And watch out for nail polish too - most contain shellac.

I imagine you were trying to look at the difference between veggie who doesn't eat dairy or eggs and a vegan? ..... Basically - nothing from an animal. And watch out for nail polish too - most contain shellac.
    Exactly what I was asking. But I can't get rid of my leather couch :eek: Hmmmm, I think for now I will change what I eat/drink (missing the cheeeeese) and leave off the vegan side of it. At least until it's time to buy a new sofa :)

Thanks again for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

As mentioned, a lacto-ovo veggie is one who eats egg and dairy. I imagine you were trying to look at the difference between veggie who doesn't eat dairy or eggs and a vegan? Well, honey is the first thing which is majorly different. But as a vegan, golden syrup works wonders on toast. Another thing would be avoiding wearing wool or silk. Also, lanolin is something which is often in toiletries which is derived from wool. Basically - nothing from an animal. And watch out for nail polish too - most contain shellac.

Jaysus...are you allowed sit on leather chairs?:P

Ah, sitting on leather chairs is up to personal taste! The idea of veganism is living without animals, but you bought that couch ages ago. It's like the wooly jumper my mother bought me many years ago - I'm not throwing it out now that I'm vegan. I just won't buy any more.

Next on the list to buy for pasta - vegan parmazano ;) i've seen it in health food stores and Tesco http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=1&Category_Code=630

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Ah, sitting on leather chairs is up to personal taste! The idea of veganism is living without animals, but you bought that couch ages ago. It's like the wooly jumper my mother bought me many years ago - I'm not throwing it out now that I'm vegan. I just won't buy any more.

Next on the list to buy for pasta - vegan parmazano ;) i've seen it in health food stores and Tesco http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=1&Category_Code=630

Have to say it is a way of life completely alien to me but I really respect the dedication thats involved.

Advertisement