Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long exposures with movements

Options
  • 01-03-2009 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone has any interesting shots created by taking a long exposure with the camera stationary for most of the pic, but with movement for part of it. I think it can result in an interesting dreamlike effect, here's an example taken at a waterfall in Glendalough:

73848.jpg

Maybe you think this is just a blurry mess, I'm curious to hear peoples opinions and see if anyone else has any such shots?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I've seen some very cool pics like this,but I think for the images to look good there has to be a stronger source of light so you can notice the movement better and it would add to the dreamy effect..Not a bad shot though,It's growing on me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

I love going to Glendalough but a tripod is really necessary to get the shots you are after. The alternative is to put your camera on the ground on a jacket etc and that will help keep the movement to a minimum for you.

I deleted the same location shot off my Flickr account recently but other stuff I have to show the effect are:

239217068_a657567b24.jpg &

298071339_506cab12c8.jpg

As I am in Galway, if you ever want to meet to try different things, then PM me and we can arrange something when I am available.

Hope that helps??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

That second shot is an absolute belter Mike.

However i dont think that is exactly the idea that alb is going for...i think they are looking at a more "impressionistic" take on things by moving the camera during exposure. (I MAY BE WRONG)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Eirebear wrote: »

However i dont think that is exactly the idea that alb is going for...i think they are looking at a more "impressionistic" take on things by moving the camera during exposure. (I MAY BE WRONG)

Ta very much and my bad, wasn't sure hence why I added the images for reference.

However, I do have something cheeky to offer :P :cool: :D

305120728_1724d6fbb4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

There is a guy in scotland doing this kind of stuff and making a bit of a name for himself right now....wish i could remember his name though :o

(Useless information #102)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Eirebear wrote: »

Yes that's what I meant, maybe I should have explained myself better. Specifically using a tripod for probably a second or more and then introducing some movement at the end of the shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 riskydisco

I like this oldschool type of photo manipulation and actually planned on doing some photos like this tomorrow.. will follow up with some (hopefully) interesting looking shots!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

2258795092_0cc09100af.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

I didn't really move the camera but i used the zoom of the lens in the process ;)

weed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I did something similar (zooming in and out during the shot) with these:
    2575632632_5ed0aff0c9.jpg

2575638466_6335b09c10.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement